The eyes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Re: The eyes

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Kro92813 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:35 The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?
To keep an eye on Will and report his status to the fate sealers? To help protect him? Or a less sinister approach?

After contemplating for some time, I think they were just a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on Will and Peter so that she could write their story.

What are your thoughts?
I can't explain the mystery of the eyes, but I don't think their purpose was to monitor or track Will and Peter.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 01:21 As I understood it, the eyes were a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on what was going. I believe it was just a way for her to see what Will was up to.
I think so too! And obviously being discreetly omniscient helped her to write wills story in the end
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Dikay127 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 04:11 Once I got to the end of the book and realized Valerian was the enemy I sort of just figured he was looking through the eyes somehow and keeping tabs on him. Never crossed my mind that it could have been Pellucid!
That's an interesting perspective! I just remember the scene after will and paul steal the map book that pellucid says she saw everything through her eyes!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Letora wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 06:00 I assumed it was just so people could keep tabs on him. Although now that think of it, they really didn't do much, did they?
I kind of viewed them as creepy security cameras lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

djr6090 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 09:32
Kro92813 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:35 The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?
To keep an eye on Will and report his status to the fate sealers? To help protect him? Or a less sinister approach?

After contemplating for some time, I think they were just a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on Will and Peter so that she could write their story.

What are your thoughts?
That seems like a reasonable assumption. I didn't think to ask why the author used the eyes. We spend so much time being viewed by cameras, cell phones, etc. that they seemed like just another surveillance procedure, albeit a fanciful, and creepy, one.
I just love how we can all read the same words but draw different conclusions!

I do think they were a creepy version of a security camera, but I think it's also how pellucid was able to be "omniscient" to write wills story
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Sinclairess wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 11:36
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 15:22
Who else do you think used them for surveillance? And I had forgotten that scene! They got so used to them being around they just swatted away at them like annoying gnats!
Perhaps the Leader of the Fortune Tellers? I mean, those magnificent creepy crystal ball eyes see a lot... perhaps Pellucid can see through his eyes as well, to watch Will? Just like the rest of the crystal balls. A wild assumption.
I like it though! I wonder if they are just in the orphanage or if they are used everywhere in echoland?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 17:58

What are your thoughts?
I can't explain the mystery of the eyes, but I don't think their purpose was to monitor or track Will and Peter.
If not for that, what do you think their purpose was?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:34
Nicole_Boyd wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 01:21 As I understood it, the eyes were a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on what was going. I believe it was just a way for her to see what Will was up to.
I think so too! And obviously being discreetly omniscient helped her to write wills story in the end
She had said she would see how the situation develops in the hopes of writing a great story about some student.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:36
Dikay127 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 04:11 Once I got to the end of the book and realized Valerian was the enemy I sort of just figured he was looking through the eyes somehow and keeping tabs on him. Never crossed my mind that it could have been Pellucid!
That's an interesting perspective! I just remember the scene after will and paul steal the map book that pellucid says she saw everything through her eyes!
Despite the creepy nature of that statement, Pellucid was ready for such an intrusive adventure and used the eyes effectively to be appraised of Will's progress.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:37
Letora wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 06:00 I assumed it was just so people could keep tabs on him. Although now that think of it, they really didn't do much, did they?
I kind of viewed them as creepy security cameras lol
For me, it was a magical security system which was amazingly creative in its simplicity.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:40
djr6090 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 09:32

What are your thoughts?
That seems like a reasonable assumption. I didn't think to ask why the author used the eyes. We spend so much time being viewed by cameras, cell phones, etc. that they seemed like just another surveillance procedure, albeit a fanciful, and creepy, one.
I just love how we can all read the same words but draw different conclusions!

I do think they were a creepy version of a security camera, but I think it's also how pellucid was able to be "omniscient" to write wills story
Being overly keen and observant was Pellucid's character and she must have invented the eyes to watch over the orphanage and library. Will was a lucky coincidence, and writing his story became her new mission.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:41
Sinclairess wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 11:36
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 15:22
Who else do you think used them for surveillance? And I had forgotten that scene! They got so used to them being around they just swatted away at them like annoying gnats!
Perhaps the Leader of the Fortune Tellers? I mean, those magnificent creepy crystal ball eyes see a lot... perhaps Pellucid can see through his eyes as well, to watch Will? Just like the rest of the crystal balls. A wild assumption.
I like it though! I wonder if they are just in the orphanage or if they are used everywhere in echoland?
I would not be overly surprised to learn that they are used everywhere in Echoland especially the Palace.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:42

What are your thoughts?
Maybe they were used to keep track of everything in the Orphanage and the Library, but chanced upon Will's activities....maybe.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html

Post by LV2R »

That is a good question to ponder. Who exactly had access to all of the "eyes"? I thought since Will said that the orphanage was like a prison that they were monitored. It seems that Will and Peter were always sneaking around.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:42

What are your thoughts?
Perhaps their purpose was just to add mystery to the tale. One can't know everything in there. But I think there may be a sequel. I'm still reading the book, though.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”