Young Adult Genre Discussion

For September 2019, we'll be reading books in the Young Adult genre!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Young Adult Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Young adult is a genre that is geared towards people from ages 12-18, however, there are many adult who read and enjoy this genre, as well (me included!).

This genre is meant to help smooth over the transition from childhood to adulthood for its younger readers. Typically, the topic at hand follows the experiences of a young adult protagonist. Within this vast genre, several other genres can be woven into the text.

Here are some questions to guide our discussion this month:
  • Share what you read and a little about its synopsis.
  • Was this a new book for you or was it a re-read?
  • Were there other genres tied into the text? If so, which ones?
  • Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
:bookclub:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think I'm going to make a real effort to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs this month. Not only has it been on my list for quite some time, but it's the next book for the in-person book club I'm involved with at my library. We discuss it on October 1st!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 09:27 I think I'm going to make a real effort to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs this month. Not only has it been on my list for quite some time, but it's the next book for the in-person book club I'm involved with at my library. We discuss it on October 1st!
This book on my list as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 22:47
hsimone wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 09:27 I think I'm going to make a real effort to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs this month. Not only has it been on my list for quite some time, but it's the next book for the in-person book club I'm involved with at my library. We discuss it on October 1st!
This book on my list as well.
I read the Prologue and first chapter, which isn't much, but my attention is definitely piqued. :)
Heidi

sublola4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sublola4 »

I stumbled upon the movie a few weeks ago and remembered it was a book. The movie was pretty good so I'm sure the book will be great. I'm adding it to my ever growing TBR.

-L
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I read "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" and absolutely loved it. And I'm about as far from being a YA as anyone could be. I've also read two of the four books that come after (Hollow City, Library of Souls, A Map of Days, and The Conference of the Birds). They were excellent too. I'll be reading A Map of Days as soon as I can lay hands on a copy.
Andy_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy-c.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Andy_C »

I find I can't get on with YA novels. I've tried a good many, they just don't seem as involving as adult literature. Any recommendations that might swing me would be appreciated.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is, I believe, a YA book. The book was one of several introduced for mandatory reading for a literature course I was taking. The synopsis revolves around the mysterious murder of paper production tycoon Samuel W. Westing and a group of individuals who supposedly know his killer's identity.

It was a re-read for me as I didn't get around to finishing on time for the course. It falls under mystery but also includes bits of humor, puzzle solving, light thriller and slice of life moments. Surprisingly enough, the book was enjoyable.

Despite the mystery factor, the purpose of gathering the chosen group together yielded little significance till near end. The book essentially was a collection of puzzles within a larger puzzle. Some may view some of the young characters as unrealistic due to interests in things that are beyond their years, but that inclusion of such characters makes it an interesting read.

The book ended on a positive note while tying up any and all loose ends.

Return to “September 2019 Genre Discussion”