Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

In my opinion, this book is great and deserves to be the book of the month. I liked mostly the beautiful narrative and descriptive techniques used by the author, while I liked least the several vulgar words in the story. I would not recommend this book to children, due to the number of vulgar words, but other readers can read this book because it is a dramatic, fun-to-read, exciting book.
madegwa7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madegwa7.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by madegwa7 »

I really enjoyed reading the book. I like how characters are described so distinctly on there roles and the suspense it brings at the end of the scene.I love it.
D3ssamay3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by D3ssamay3 »

:techie-reference: This was an interesting book. I did have trouble getting through it for the lag in some areas. I tend to like books that flow easily and don't over indulge with details.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

A great historical fiction thriller. I've never read a book like this before...correction this will be the first of its kind. Aborigines and MI6 working together? You have to know how to narrate such a story and Greg Carter seems to have just nailed it. Great!
Erin
Currently Reading: Death Has a Thousand Doors
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin.html
Latest Review: Not 4 $ale by M.R. Biggs

Post by Erin »

This exciting historical adventure keeps the reader entertained until the end! Kidnapping and murder provide mysteries to be solved, and the location provides an interesting setting! I would give the book 4 out of 4 stars.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I loved this book, the author has improved so much since book 1, I found this one easier to read and understand. I read it in less than a week, which is quick for me!
Haden9280
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Haden9280 »

I'm just starting this book and I'm already hooked. It immediately kept my attention and I can't wait to continue. Great job! :D
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I gave the book 4 out 4 stars. I like that there was continuous action from start to finish like the characters weren't given time to breathe. The use of foreign languages was also skillful. I definitely recommend it to any historical fiction readers.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
jackielee47516
Currently Reading: Pioneer Girl
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackielee47516.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by jackielee47516 »

I've read the first part of this book and it definitely captured my interest. The author is skilled at using descriptive language. The action and intrigue will keep the reader hooked. I would enjoy reading about this era and about the locations which I have never been to.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

LinaMueller wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 06:20 As far as I remember, Skills of the Warramunga is my least liked of the Trilogy. Sarah is almost a non-existent character. It's so sad because she is so cute and charismatic. The storyline is good, but not great. Don't get me wrong: it's a good book. But not as good as the first two, IMHO.
I read it as a standalone book and this was what knocked it from 4/4 to 3/4 for me. I feel like she is such an interesting character, but I didn't know anything about her at all.

The story was interesting but it wasn't for me so I won't be picking up other books in this series.
mddodgen
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mddodgen.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by mddodgen »

I love this book! The historical events in Malaysia during this time period I found so interesting. I had not been aware of the history until I read this book. It was the first time I had read anything from this author. Greg Kater certainly impressed me.
The characters in this book were endearing and believable. I have since had the opportunity to read other books by Mr. Kater and enjoyed them as well.
There was an equal amount of humor, adventure, conflict, and triumph. He was able to tell a story without the overuse of offensive language or graphic details. Of which to me is unusual in a story plot of this nature.
steviejenk1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steviejenk1.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by steviejenk1 »

I enjoyed this book. I thought the characters were well developed and they were people I could care about. For example, I loved Jamie and Jacko’s sense of humor, desire to help others, and ability to overcome fear. I hated the criminals in this story, especially since some of them were supposed to be upholding the law, not breaking the law. As an introvert I could relate to Jamie’s feelings of awkwardness toward Carna and Jacko/s sense of loneliness. This makes them both appear more vulnerable, which makes the story more interesting.
There are only a couple of things I did not like about the book. In a few spots there is a little too much dialog and not enough action. In addition, the Australian slang makes the dialog a bit hard to understand at times. However, despite these minor flaws, I thought it was an excellent book with a great plot. . I am giving it four starts due to the quality of the overall story and the strength of the characters.

I would recommend this book to lovers of mysteries, historical fiction or Australia.
Kjwfaith19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kjwfaith19 »

I have just joined and this is my first book. I am surprised and quite enjoyed the first chapter. Look forward to reading the rest of it
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

My overall rating of the book is 2 or 3 out of 4 stars. It’s written well but some of the characters are flat. For example Sarah seemed very shallow in this book. I am glad to hear that she is more developed in the other books in the series.

This is not one of my favorite genres, so maybe some elements of my critique are not completely fair. I found that some of the scenes in the jungle were a bit drawn out, and the book was just a series of the same jungle trek scene being played out in different ways.

The dialogue given to the female characters was clichéd. For example, Monique and Carna seemed like canned characters. I did not find myself invested in them at all. Perhaps this would be different if I had read the other books in the series, but I wasn’t left with a good impression of them.

I did like the different perspective on post World War II Asia. This was something I had not thought of before, and so for that, I appreciate the book.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

My overall rating of the book is 2 or 3 out of 4 stars. It’s written well but some of the characters are flat. For example Sarah seemed very shallow in this book. I am glad to hear that she is more developed in the other books in the series.

This is not one of my favorite genres, so maybe some elements of my critique are not completely fair. I found that some of the scenes in the jungle were a bit drawn out, and the book was just a series of the same jungle trek scene being played out in different ways.

The dialogue given to the female characters was clichéd. For example, Monique and Carna seemed like canned characters. I did not find myself invested in them at all. Perhaps this would be different if I had read the other books in the series, but I wasn’t left with a good impression of them.

I did like the different perspective on post World War II Asia. This was something I had not thought of before, and so for that, I appreciate the book.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”