Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

It's a 4 out of 4 stars for me. Because the book is indulging, there is no way you can't relate to characters on a personal level and it delves into the problems the people protecting us face, what their driving force is and their attitudes towards one another with or without the uniform. I didn't really enjoy all the blood being spilled but in all it's awesome.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

Overall, I would recommend it for sure. I like the pacing of the book with suspense and thrills, that's the best quality about it.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I gave it three stars. I would definitely recommend the ones who are interested in reading this that they should read the entire series.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

gali wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 23:28 This is a discussion topic for the October 2019 Book of the Month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
I enjoyed the non-stop action of this book. I gave it a 4 out of 4 star rating, although I think it would have benefitted from allowing the female characters a bit more room to shine.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

I read this historical fiction book and enjoyed every bit of it. I was even privileged to have done a review. I am looking forward to reading more of Greg's books. My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

briellejee wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 01:35 A perfect sequel to the second book! I have loved Jamie and Jacko from the first and second book, and I think this has made me like them as well. The thrill of the chase is enough to keep me wanting more. 4 out of 4 rating for this captivating adventure!
I keep hearing that the previous books were just as good as this one! I think I really need to go back to read the other books now!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

LinaMueller wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 06:20 As far as I remember, Skills of the Warramunga is my least liked of the Trilogy. Sarah is almost a non-existent character. It's so sad because she is so cute and charismatic. The storyline is good, but not great. Don't get me wrong: it's a good book. But not as good as the first two, IMHO.
I liked this one for the most part, but would have loved to see Sarah have a bigger role. I think I will have to check out the other books in the series!
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Agnes Masobeng wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 05:40 The book is quite interesting. So far I seem to like the names of the characters: Jack, Johnny and James. I don't know if the author had a reason for making them start with J or if it was just a concidence?
I notice that too! I found it really strange that they all had J names.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 21:35 Man I seem to be the odd ball with this one! I've only read the first chapter so far and have found so many punctuation errors already. He also enjoys long run-on sentences, which is making it especially difficult for me to get into! I also don't understand why he isn't using quotations around the dialogue.

I really hope this one gets better. I'm going to try and look past these things for the sake of the book, but for those reasons above I cannot rate it 4 stars.
My understanding is that Australian English writing allows for the different punctuation than American English.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

B Creech wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 09:03 This has been a great read! I love the Jamie and Jacki characters. I wish there had been a bigger part for Sarah. I am almost finished and I would rate this 4 out of 4 stars,!
I also wish Sarah had a larger role in the book. But I still enjoyed it all in all.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I am thoroughly intrigued by all of the excitement over this book. It sounds like one that I would enjoy. Another one added to my never ending reading list!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Washboard wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 14:15
briellejee wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 01:35 A perfect sequel to the second book! I have loved Jamie and Jacko from the first and second book, and I think this has made me like them as well. The thrill of the chase is enough to keep me wanting more. 4 out of 4 rating for this captivating adventure!
I keep hearing that the previous books were just as good as this one! I think I really need to go back to read the other books now!
Yes you should!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the book and rated it a 3 out of 4. The numerous characters were confusing at first. I liked Sarah's participation, but disliked how she was frequently described in an immature way. This author has a compelling writing style that keeps readers intrigued in the story.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:31 I enjoyed the book and rated it a 3 out of 4. The numerous characters were confusing at first. I liked Sarah's participation, but disliked how she was frequently described in an immature way. This author has a compelling writing style that keeps readers intrigued in the story.
What do you mean "immature way"? I've seen people saying they like the portrayal of Sarah so I'm curious of your own perspective. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

briellejee wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:58
kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:31 I enjoyed the book and rated it a 3 out of 4. The numerous characters were confusing at first. I liked Sarah's participation, but disliked how she was frequently described in an immature way. This author has a compelling writing style that keeps readers intrigued in the story.
What do you mean "immature way"? I've seen people saying they like the portrayal of Sarah so I'm curious of your own perspective. :techie-studyingbrown:
Some of the descriptions were: Sarah "giggled" (loc. 1008); wineglasses and shiny silverware made Sarah feel nervously out of her depth (1291) Really??; Sarah chuckled (2365); bringing Sarah to giggles (3208). It just seemed that the "giggles" and "chuckling" portrayed her as childish. Why didn't she "laugh?"

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”