Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Re: Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Post by Don Pwai »

My favourite part is the suspense that enevelpes after Jamie, Jacko and Sarah sets about to nail the criminal gang in the Malay jungle. I was inquisitive about the success of their mission. I hated how Colonel John Cook driver was murdered in cold blood.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Ander Carlos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ander-carlos.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Ander Carlos »

My favourite part was when Sarah, Moniques parents and the lovebirds Jamie, Jacko together with their wives Carna and Monique respectively were together. I cherished their close bonds. The nasty part is the maltreatment Colonel Cook is subjected to by the criminal gang in the Malayan jungle.
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

My favourite parts were the ones set in the jungle. I think the author did a great job with the descriptions and creating the mood. It felt like I was there trudging through the swamps and the undergrowth. The leeches really made me shudder. I also found the description of the emotions of Colonel Cook and Inspector Douglas to be very well done and relatable.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 13:25 My favourite parts of the book is Colonel Johnny Cook living in the Malayan jungle with the bandits and bonding with the Temiar, the indigenous people living in the jungle. I also love the second rescue mission by the team with commandos into the jungle to rescue Samuel Martin who didn't fare well in the jungle like Johnny Cook did. However, my least favorite is the gore details, grenades bombing up the bandits and body parts flying everywhere.
You read my mind. I too felt the same :)
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I loved the descriptions in the book. The way the Malay jungle is described is lovely and I really enjoyed reading about it.
My least favourite part was the number of characters in the book. At times I battled to keep track and found myself going back to figure out who was who.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I don't have any least favorites. I found the whole book outstanding. My most favorite was during the Malayan Union parade when an ambush occurred with explosions and noises of attack which the spectators of the parade mistook for action of the government for their entertainment.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

My favorite scenes were the parts in which Jacko, Sarah and the rest of the team rescued Johnny Cook and Inspector Douglas! They were well-described scenes! The murder at the tin mine was my least favorite scene! It was too graphic for me!
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

My favorite part of the book is where Johnny 'shoos' the tiger, and my least favorite part about the book is the De Groot murders.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think my least favorite parts of the book were the downtime like when they were having dinner or trudging through the jungle. Though I liked that the characters were happy, I also didn't enjoy the wedding and the list of all the characters Sarah saw there. My favorite parts were when they rescued Johnny or Robert or navigated around the ambushes on the jungle trail.
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

My most favorite part is foiling of the terrorist attack by tinkering with the guns by the Australians and police.
Least favorite is the murders carried out by Peiter de Groote and the Japanese group.
Jim Bob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jim-bob.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Jim Bob »

I loved the description of the Malayan jungle. The occupants of the forest are living a simple life but appears to be unconcerned by their troubles. It felt like they are in a different time period.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

My favourite would be the unexpected element seasoned by mystery and suspense.
My least favourite would be the romance element.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”