Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Post by Kro92813 »

My favorite was the suspense filled parade scenes. My least favorite were scenes with carnations and monique. They seemed so boring and helpless
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

LV2R wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:45 My favorite part was when Jacko, Jamie, and Sarah found the weapons in the cave and took all the firing pins. That was a great way to ambush the bandits without harm. My least favorite part was when the Japanese Kempeitai units, siding with the bandits, brutally killed the guards from the buildings near the parade.
Yes! So genius it made me cchuckle! Then when the group is running to attack at the parade and they throw down their firearms a mad because they aren't working!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:51 My least favorite part of the book was the vulgar words in the book, but my favorite part of the book was Johnny's escape from the jungle.
I didnt f d too much for vulgarity
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 14:16
Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:51 My least favorite part of the book was the vulgar words in the book, but my favorite part of the book was Johnny's escape from the jungle.
I liked Johnny's rescue too. When I first read the book, I felt that it was going to be the major plot and the main story will center around Johnny's rescue. I was surprised when he was rescued so easily.
I felt all if their rescues were too easy. It seemed unrealistic to me
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 14:18
e-tasana-williams wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 17:58 My favorite aspect of the book is the portrayal of the local and expat communities in Malaya at the time. It’s easy to envision a monolithic culture when I think of that part of the world, but it makes sense that there would be Chinese, Indian, Dutch, German, Japanese and other groups there in the mid- and late-40s. Just imagining all the food choices...mmm!

My least favorite part, similar to other readers here, is the abundance of characters. Perhaps if they were introduced more gradually it would have felt like a more natural flow. The way it is, I felt like I needed a chart containing all of the characters and their relation to each other.
Yes, I really get your part about the abundance of characters. It too felt a little difficult to follow so many characters around and had to check the characters again and again to get who they were.
I agree I had a hard time keeping track if everyone too and all of the organizations in the beginning. I didnt. Bother trying f to keep them all straight
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

naomisorge wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 13:43 My favorite part was, as many people have said, the descriptions of the jungle. It made me want to do a jungle trek of my own!

My least favorite aspect was that I thought there was much too much dialogue--I think Kater could have gotten away with more description and inner dialogue from different characters, instead of dialogue such as repeating "just the ticket" over and over and over again.
It made me want to avoid a jungle trek. So thick and dangerous and humid.. yuck!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 23:01
DC Brown wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 22:20 I enjoy the scenery and the weather. Because of the excellent descriptions you feel like you're there. I did not like all the detail about the attempted uprising. How many weapons and what kind and who had them seemed like trivial information and, yes, the alphabet soup of organizations was distracting.
Yes, Greg Carter sure did a good job in what he wanted to do in terms of descriptions. But he really had too many characters popping up from left and right. I felt a felt a few to be unessesary.
Which do you think were most unneccesary?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

mcdonaldchola wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 12:42 My favorite moments were the two occasions when Jacko went to rescue the captives from their huts. Despite all the tight security, he managed with no trace at all. The moments I never enjoyed were those involving so much bloodshed.
But it seemed almost too flawlessly easy didnt it? I didnt like that part...
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Johnny's escape from the jungle was truly impressive for me and I think the least favorite part would be the ones with too much action and killing.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:59
mcdonaldchola wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 12:42 My favorite moments were the two occasions when Jacko went to rescue the captives from their huts. Despite all the tight security, he managed with no trace at all. The moments I never enjoyed were those involving so much bloodshed.
If you consider tracking enemy camp in the midst of night easy....
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:58
Howlan wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 23:01
DC Brown wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 22:20 I enjoy the scenery and the weather. Because of the excellent descriptions you feel like you're there. I did not like all the detail about the attempted uprising. How many weapons and what kind and who had them seemed like trivial information and, yes, the alphabet soup of organizations was distracting.
Yes, Greg Carter sure did a good job in what he wanted to do in terms of descriptions. But he really had too many characters popping up from left and right. I felt a felt a few to be unessesary.
Which do you think were most unneccesary?
I think the MSS had too many officers and that moat of them didnt play any role in the story. Some of those could have been omitted.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

briellejee wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 01:22 Johnny's escape from the jungle was truly impressive for me and I think the least favorite part would be the ones with too much action and killing.
Yes. Johnny was truly fascinating. More ao were Jacko and Sarah. Those were the ones who tracked the enemy camp down.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:56
naomisorge wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 13:43 My favorite part was, as many people have said, the descriptions of the jungle. It made me want to do a jungle trek of my own!

My least favorite aspect was that I thought there was much too much dialogue--I think Kater could have gotten away with more description and inner dialogue from different characters, instead of dialogue such as repeating "just the ticket" over and over and over again.
It made me want to avoid a jungle trek. So thick and dangerous and humid.. yuck!
All kinds of experiences are essential in life..
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 01:50
Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:59
If you consider tracking enemy camp in the midst of night easy....
I mean in the way everything played out. Everything easily fell into place for them. They got in and got out without conflict
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 01:57
Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:56

All kinds of experiences are essential in life..
But not this one for me! I'd rather not get stuck in a thick and uncomfortable Jungle with bandits holding me captive!

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”