Favorite character in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
hmorales2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorales2.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Re: Favorite character in the story?

Post by hmorales2 »

Sarah is my favorite character as of now. I am still reading. She has some great skills.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

LinaMueller wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 06:22 Sarah is my favorite character of the trilogy by far. Sadly she doesn't appear to much in this book (if my memory serves me correctly).
Yes, she is my favorite too. And it's a real shame that her character did not have much to do in this book and was mostly sidelined.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 07:39
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?
For me, Colonel Johnny Cook was my favorite character. Despite getting kidnapped into the Malay jungle, he had this poise and adaptability that made me forget more than one that he was being held against his wishes. I enjoyed his perspective throughout the book and how easy he made friends.
What about you?
I agree, Johnny was my favorite character. I was so impressed with the way he was able to remain calm in such a dire situation. If I was kidnapped by bandits, I would be anything but calm!
Yes Johnny was extremely resourceful till the end. I really liked the scene where Johnny got back at the bandit chief by arresting him.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

My favorite character is Johnny Cook. I loved the way he handled his ordeal. That is trailing through the Cameroon highlands, despite the way he was being treated, standing up to the tiger and his passion towards learning Malay.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

My favourite character is Sarah, Jacko's sister. I love her flexibility and her unique tracking abilities.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Likewise, I will go with the character, Johnny, because of his endurance.

He as a hero, beared the mal-treatment from the group of bandits.

A group of armed men against one man, is an unfair situation to behold.

But, Johnny proved himself as strong character, indeed.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

I love all the characters in the book of the month, ''Skills of Warramunga', especially,Jamie Munro.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I would have to say that Sarah is my favorite character in the story. I just wish that she had more time in the book. :(
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

My favorite character in Skills of the Warramunga is Sarah. I think she is an amazing character. She exceptional tracking skills. She has a feisty personality, but she still has her gentle, girly side. I was disappointed that there was so little written about Sarah. I would love to read more about her.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?

For me, Colonel Johnny Cook was my favorite character. Despite getting kidnapped into the Malay jungle, he had this poise and adaptability that made me forget more than one that he was being held against his wishes. I enjoyed his perspective throughout the book and how easy he made friends.
What about you?
These characters all have their uniqueness. But Johnny's ability to adapt and maintain calmness under intense pressure makes him my best character.
FrankieKelley
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Mortal Engines
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frankiekelley.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B07XL7G4HH

Post by FrankieKelley »

I have to say, Jack O’Brien was my favorite character. His depth of reasoning and focus on his goals were relatable for me. However, Sarah, his half-sister, was more entertaining to read about, so I guess it’s a toss-up between the two for me.
Estuelke
Currently Reading: the book theif
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estuelke.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Estuelke »

I just finished reading Skills of the Warramunga, by Greg Kater. I will write a review of it as well.

My favorite character, or the one that stays with me the most, is Police Inspector Robert Douglas. He is a "down on his luck" kind of character who is given a chance to redeem himself, while kidnapped, but he is one of the few characters who seems to have a real story outside of this particular plot.

He is symbolic of the battling factions in the story [bandits, military, communists, leaders] and through him we see the vulnerability of the situation. That sometimes there are more than one right or wrong.

He is not all action, he is reflection and then action. He is not all for the other man, he is selfish.

He is the most human of the characters, and one who could use the "hero" treatment of the writer to help him find his way to his better self.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Jacko was my favorite character he was very brave and always took a hit for the team. Also Pieter de Groote I found him hilarious he went to the effort of making up all those plans and failing in the end. I enjoyed how he swore in German when things went disastrous.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

FrankieKelley wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 12:10 I have to say, Jack O’Brien was my favorite character. His depth of reasoning and focus on his goals were relatable for me. However, Sarah, his half-sister, was more entertaining to read about, so I guess it’s a toss-up between the two for me.
Yes, the combination of these two characters really set the tone of the whole story really interesting. Their interactions were refreshing and I liked like the author used these two characters to produce light comic in between all the serious stuff that was happening all around.
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

I have gone through the book and found out a very great character development. Nobody can be compared to Colonel Johnny Cook. His presentation and courage are the most amazing things I captured from him. Firstly, despite being in kidnap den, he dares to ask so many questions. He needs to know why he’s kidnapped. Secondly, he’s not a dull boy. He engages the other characters in conversations. As you know a story without conversations is just a narrative and one wouldn’t capture the feelings and emotions of the character.

Being the main character he’s not let the role down. He’s occupied the whole book and also one can conclude that Greg undoubtedly placed Johnny Cook in a role he’s well fitted in.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”