Favorite character in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Favorite character in the story?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?

For me, Colonel Johnny Cook was my favorite character. Despite getting kidnapped into the Malay jungle, he had this poise and adaptability that made me forget more than one that he was being held against his wishes. I enjoyed his perspective throughout the book and how easy he made friends.
What about you?
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Sarah is my favorite character of the trilogy by far. Sadly she doesn't appear to much in this book (if my memory serves me correctly).
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

LinaMueller wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 06:22 Sarah is my favorite character of the trilogy by far. Sadly she doesn't appear to much in this book (if my memory serves me correctly).
Her tracking skills were quite exceptional, and she had a feisty personality. I see why she would be your choice for favorite character.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?

For me, Colonel Johnny Cook was my favorite character. Despite getting kidnapped into the Malay jungle, he had this poise and adaptability that made me forget more than one that he was being held against his wishes. I enjoyed his perspective throughout the book and how easy he made friends.
What about you?
I agree, Johnny was my favorite character. I was so impressed with the way he was able to remain calm in such a dire situation. If I was kidnapped by bandits, I would be anything but calm!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Jacko's half-sister, Sarah is my favorite character. She's fierce and I love her exceptional skills at tracking. Definitely a skill I would like to have.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 07:39
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?

What about you?
I agree, Johnny was my favorite character. I was so impressed with the way he was able to remain calm in such a dire situation. If I was kidnapped by bandits, I would be anything but calm!
Johnny Cook took to the Malayan jungle lifestyle and ways as if he had chosen to move there instead of being a captive. This poise and calm in the face of normal danger was inspired.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

spluficvictory wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 07:43 Jacko's half-sister, Sarah is my favorite character. She's fierce and I love her exceptional skills at tracking. Definitely a skill I would like to have.
I also learned a lot of new vocabulary from her such as "bailiwick" and "bikpela."
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I haven't finished the book, and I didn't read the earlier novels, but so far I am impressed with Johnny. I admire that he utilized his time to learn the language to prevent boredom.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

What about you?
I agree with you, Johnny Cook is my favorite character, I love his calm and the way he utilize the odd to gain knowledge with friends.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Orizon wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 12:54

What about you?
I agree with you, Johnny Cook is my favorite character, I love his calm and the way he utilize the odd to gain knowledge with friends.
Another aspect I loved about him is the dedication he was able to inspire for his two friends to drop their vacation to come recue him. He must have been a good, trusted, and endearing friend for such loyalty to prevsil.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 09:28
spluficvictory wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 07:43 Jacko's half-sister, Sarah is my favorite character. She's fierce and I love her exceptional skills at tracking. Definitely a skill I would like to have.
I also learned a lot of new vocabulary from her such as "bailiwick" and "bikpela."
Definitely :lol2: :lol2:
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I love all the characters, especially Sarah and her pidgeon English. She can track an ant up a stringybark tree. Jacko and Sarah are a tracking team that can't be beat. They have a wonderful sibling relationship.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am big fan of Sarah. Strong female characters tend to win my heart over sooner than the others.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I will agree. Johnny’s character was very inspiring. The way he was able to keep poised and calm in a tough situation was impressive. He is my favorite character in the book for those great qualities.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Samy Lax wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 02:18 I am big fan of Sarah. Strong female characters tend to win my heart over sooner than the others.
Give me a strong female character any day!
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”