What is the major theme in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: What is the major theme in this book?

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I think you might right. Conflict seems to be the major theme of the plot. I think it could be said about the whole series as well, just to have one word fitting more or less all the book. But also, thinking in more general terms, I think the series is also a great tribute to friendship and loyalty.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

Though there were many themes stated, I think politics and war stood out to me the most. Where there is politics there will always be war.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

nchoate12 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:43 Though there were many themes stated, I think politics and war stood out to me the most. Where there is politics there will always be war.
Great point!! I agree.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

While conflict is certainly heavily present in the story, I think the motivating driver for the conflict is political power. All of the conflicts in the book were caused by the pursuit of political power.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I can agree with you that conflict is a major theme in the book. However, I would give a vote for the "skills" of Jacko and Sarah to be a major theme as they were highlighted in the pursuit and capturing of the villains. Of course, these two complement each other. Without the conflict, there would not have been a need for the skills!
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Conflict is always a theme in any story we read, that is a conflict of desires, any story having a good and evil must have conflict. I think the think that moat stands out in this book is the war politics that was the driving cause of the resulting war.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

nchoate12 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:43 Though there were many themes stated, I think politics and war stood out to me the most. Where there is politics there will always be war.
Yes exactly, here in the story politics was the reason that the kidnapping of Johnny Cook took place. It was the main motivator for the entire plot.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

And not only politics, I think this book offers other great themes of friendship and trust in the entire story. We see Jamie and Jacko rush to the aid of the Cook as they were auch good friends in Cairo.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

e-tasana-williams wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 21:14 Maybe I’m thinking of themes a little differently?

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the topic for this thread was the theme of good triumphing over evil.

Through friendship, collaboration, and the will to do what is right, good carried the day. I see conflict, espionage, politics etc. through this lens in this story.
This is a different answer than most of them here, and I guess it made sense about the good triumphing against evil, but I think most books have that same "theme". Although some books have it subtly, I won't, personally, consider it as a theme but rather the universal endgame of most books. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:21 I can agree with you that conflict is a major theme in the book. However, I would give a vote for the "skills" of Jacko and Sarah to be a major theme as they were highlighted in the pursuit and capturing of the villains. Of course, these two complement each other. Without the conflict, there would not have been a need for the skills!
Rather than conflict, I think I would go with this as the major theme of the book. It would seem, as you've said, that this book was made to highlight the skills of the siblings. Every book has a conflict and that's where the theme lies. I doubt you could have a book that has no conflict. Even nursery rhymes have one. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:11 But also, thinking in more general terms, I think the series is also a great tribute to friendship and loyalty.
I think this is more likely a good theme than conflict since it's always been prevalent in books.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

Conflict indeed
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Well I think I can agree that conflict is a vital theme as already affirmed to by many, but the political manoeuvres inherent cannot be overlooked.
The political interest of the main character and his associates also went along way in shaping the storyline.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

I would go for the theme of war and conflict. A better part of the book is dedicated to tracking and nailing down the criminal gang.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
nagadurga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagadurga.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by nagadurga »

I would think that main theme of the book is that need for learning skills come when there is a problem to solve and in this book the problem is the war and conflicts

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”