What is the major theme in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: What is the major theme in this book?

Post by Howlan »

ViziVoir wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 16:03 In my opinion, I think that "conflict" is too vague to really qualify as a theme - it's almost like saying one of a book's major themes was "characters". Greed seems like it's a more applicable theme, at least for me.
Greed is really a major driving force for most evils. The greed of power and control can be more accurately put forward as the compelling reason for the kidnapping in the story. The use of unlawful means to satisfy ones greed is a strong emotion. This is a strong motive, and fits well in the story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 11:38
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 A lot of themes stand out in this book from espionage, crime, romance, friendship, politics, war, and conflict. Which do you think is the major theme in the story? And why?

For me conflict seems to be a driving force to the plot and is thus the major theme, in my opinion.The conflict instigated byPieter de Groote, conflict associated with Johnny cook's kidnapping and the husstle of his rescue, the conflict of theassassination plot...all in all, it was a major theme in this book. What about you?
What I can say is that the author tried to blend everything well. However, in my opinion, I think espionage is the driving force of this book. Crime and politics seems to be the cause of the espionage.
The author really did a great job in integrating a few themes in the story. The themes of Espionage and politics really go hand in hand so it's difficult to put a label on it to serve as a major theme of the story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

I also think that friendship serves as a strong theme too. After all it was friendship which led to Cook's rescue from the bandits.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:57 I agree with you, conflict is the most prominent theme in all the series.
Conflict in and of itself is not generally a theme. It does however hint at themes. Many war stories have a theme of disillusionment as the characters struggle to see the purpose of a war. Such a theme is hinted at by the internal conflicts of the characters in such a story. This story seems to be more of a Patriotic theme in the vain of James Bond.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I would say conflict was the major theme in this read. The kidnappings and the deaths.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

There are so many themes evident in this book. The story is surrounded by aspects of crime, romance, and friendship among other themes. Distinctively, crime has taken a center stage. Right from the start of the story we see abduction. Johnny Cook, a senior operative of M16 has been kidnapped by unknown bandits in the jungle of Malaya.

In the jungle of Malaya, there is an impenetrable murderous organization of criminals that aims at disrupting creation of a union; Malayan Union by Military Authority. This union has to take control of everything that goes on in the locality. The criminals want to put stop to this.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Howlan wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 12:59
Nuel Ukah wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 11:38
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 A lot of themes stand out in this book from espionage, crime, romance, friendship, politics, war, and conflict. Which do you think is the major theme in the story? And why?

For me conflict seems to be a driving force to the plot and is thus the major theme, in my opinion.The conflict instigated byPieter de Groote, conflict associated with Johnny cook's kidnapping and the husstle of his rescue, the conflict of theassassination plot...all in all, it was a major theme in this book. What about you?
What I can say is that the author tried to blend everything well. However, in my opinion, I think espionage is the driving force of this book. Crime and politics seems to be the cause of the espionage.
The author really did a great job in integrating a few themes in the story. The themes of Espionage and politics really go hand in hand so it's difficult to put a label on it to serve as a major theme of the story.
Well, the actually or overall focus of the story gives us the primary theme of the book.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

LyorBoone wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 18:50
Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:57 I agree with you, conflict is the most prominent theme in all the series.
Conflict in and of itself is not generally a theme. It does however hint at themes. Many war stories have a theme of disillusionment as the characters struggle to see the purpose of a war. Such a theme is hinted at by the internal conflicts of the characters in such a story. This story seems to be more of a Patriotic theme in the vain of James Bond.
I agree that conflict in itself isn't really a theme. The reason or causes of conflict is usually a main driver of the underlying theme.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Maybe I’m thinking of themes a little differently?

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the topic for this thread was the theme of good triumphing over evil.

Through friendship, collaboration, and the will to do what is right, good carried the day. I see conflict, espionage, politics etc. through this lens in this story.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
JayUwU
Currently Reading: Vampire Knight
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by JayUwU »

I think that conflict is the major theme as it comes out in many different ways. Political conflict two groups going head to head, crime is a conflict man vs the law, war is obviously conflict and there are many more instances
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

LyorBoone wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 18:50
Oh this is a new take on war stories. I did not know that disillusionment could be a theme and can be seen on "internal conflicts of the characters." Most of the theories of themes of war stories revolve around greed and violence but your point makes much more sense and allows for a wide discussion. :tiphat:

As for the patriotic theme, I guess it could be but I haven't seen it that way before. Learned a lot from your insights! Thank you! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 11:57
Juliet+1 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 18:34 Conflict of some sort is at the heart of any work of fiction. What's different here is that it is violent conflict. So violence may be an important theme. And what about greed and the lust for power?
If there was no conflict, there would be noting to write about or read about!
I totally agree with this! Conflict is the main engine that moves the plot and I'm actually surprised that most people see it as a theme in this book just because of the war and not a necessary part of any story or plot.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

For me I'd see friendship as the driver of the story. It was friendship that brought Jamie and Jacko to Johnny's rescue, and friendships that led to everyone helping to stop the ambush. Friendship also plays a big part along the way in smaller ways in the way that everyone helped each other out.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

The book is like a fruit salad. A lot of the major themes, crime, politics, prejudice, love, appearance vrs reality etc were all mixed together and none stood out solely like a sour thumb. Though one or two (crime and politics) may have been easily identified, in those were the other hidden thematic ingredients, all coming together to form a centralised theme, "cultural diversity".
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Would strategy, showcase of skill and wit be suitable as a way to classify a theme? Strategy had to be applied to outwit the villains, who had their own formidable plans. The tracking skills of the Warramunga and the natives go without explaining. It also took wit/quick thinking to outmaneuver and defeat the villains at their own game in combat.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”