What is the major theme in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Re: What is the major theme in this book?

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Juliet+1 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 18:34 Conflict of some sort is at the heart of any work of fiction. What's different here is that it is violent conflict. So violence may be an important theme. And what about greed and the lust for power?
I agree with you that conflict in and of itself isn't necessarily a theme, as every work includes some element of conflict. If there was no conflict, there would be noting to write about or read about! So often, a work can be distilled to the theme of violence. I like your perspective on this.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

Reading as a stand alone book is possible.This is because, the writer takes it upon himself to provide information contained in the previous editions.This provides a bit of understanding about questions which have words like how, why , when,what, who and where. The characteristics that are ambivalent are ambled very well.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

I agree with you, conflict is the major theme in this book. There are lesser themes too such as crime and romance.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I think politics is the major theme in this book. I believe that it is the driving force with everything that's happened.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree conflict is the main theme in the book. Politics runs a close second.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

siusantos wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 04:46 I think politics is the major theme in this book. I believe that it is the driving force with everything that's happened.
Yes, politics really played a huge role. The entire plot was based on the attempt of terrorists the disrupt the functioning of a stable government. The MSS raids and kidnappings are all a byproduct of politics.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Conflict and politics stick out as the main themes of this book!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Leadership to me is the major theme since everything that happens in the play originated from a certain group which is under a certain leadership for example the bandits have a leader,Jacko and Jamie follow Sarah as the leader while trying to track down John cook.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

In my opinion, I think that "conflict" is too vague to really qualify as a theme - it's almost like saying one of a book's major themes was "characters". Greed seems like it's a more applicable theme, at least for me.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

BookPower9 wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 05:35 I go for Politics. Conflicts start when there are egoes between the two countries. Romance doesn't emphasize much.
I agree with this. Politics has been my first thought and even then is the prominent theme in the series. Wars are bred through politics, right? As for romance not being and I think it was just there to add humanity to the characters, especially Jacko’s.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Juliet+1 wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 18:34 Conflict of some sort is at the heart of any work of fiction. What's different here is that it is violent conflict. So violence may be an important theme. And what about greed and the lust for power?
Same thoughts as well. Books have small to large conflicts with different kinds to keep the reader invested and of course every story thrives on conflict. Every editor asks what’s the conflict first, that’s called a twist in the plot and it’s the life force in a book. I liked that you pointed this out. Violence may be too much as a central theme in this one, but I think greed and lust of power could be.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

briellejee wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 03:30
BookPower9 wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 05:35 I go for Politics. Conflicts start when there are egoes between the two countries. Romance doesn't emphasize much.
I agree with this. Politics has been my first thought and even then is the prominent theme in the series. Wars are bred through politics, right? As for romance not being and I think it was just there to add humanity to the characters, especially Jacko’s.
Yeah that's true. Politics really was the drive for the whole plot. Coming to romance, there was very romantic development in this book so romance is not really a major theme. the previous books in the series focused a bit more on romance. Politics had much more of an impact in the story.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

ernest mwangemi wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 15:59 Leadership to me is the major theme since everything that happens in the play originated from a certain group which is under a certain leadership for example the bandits have a leader,Jacko and Jamie follow Sarah as the leader while trying to track down John cook.
Hmm I didn’t see it this way but I guess you make a fair point. But I don’t also think it’s a main theme, could be one of the elements though that contributed highly to the plot.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

ViziVoir wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 16:03 In my opinion, I think that "conflict" is too vague to really qualify as a theme - it's almost like saying one of a book's major themes was "characters". Greed seems like it's a more applicable theme, at least for me.
Huh! Well put! As I’ve pointed out in one comment, conflicts is already a given element in every story. Greed could be a major theme, but I don’t see it as the whole since it only pertains to the other side and not on the protaganists.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 A lot of themes stand out in this book from espionage, crime, romance, friendship, politics, war, and conflict. Which do you think is the major theme in the story? And why?

For me conflict seems to be a driving force to the plot and is thus the major theme, in my opinion.The conflict instigated byPieter de Groote, conflict associated with Johnny cook's kidnapping and the husstle of his rescue, the conflict of theassassination plot...all in all, it was a major theme in this book. What about you?
What I can say is that the author tried to blend everything well. However, in my opinion, I think espionage is the driving force of this book. Crime and politics seems to be the cause of the espionage.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”