Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like we have a nice divide between the "purists" and those who can jump into the middle of a series. For those on the forum that read the first two books, what do I need to know about the characters and their past experiences to have a greater understanding in this book?
lauren3cats
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren3cats.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by lauren3cats »

I do think this book could be read as a stand-alone. It would not be my personal preference as I think you lose something when you don’t read them in order.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I have not read any of the others in this series so I am reading this one as a stand-alone. I'm sure I would have a better grasp of the characters had I read the others, but I am still enjoying this one. I probably will not go back and read the other books in this series since I read this one first. I will just be content to take it as it is!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I think it can be read as a standalone book. The author gives ample background information in the story so that you don't need to read the previous books to understand what is happening. That being said, I want to go back and read the others in the series now that I've read this one.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Having a flashback gives the reader a little bit of understanding. But reading the third book with flashbacks is definitely not the same as reading the first two then proceeding to the third. Even though there may be flashbacks, they'll still be that feeling of missing out on certain details.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This book seems to be on the recapitulation phase of the three books of which this is the third in the series. I pity those who were not yet of any working knowledge of the previous two, so to speak. The reading of this last book should be propped up by foreknowledge of the previous two for optimum enjoyment. For instance, how important was Colonel Johnny Cook to Jacko and the other two? Surely the backstory must be first taken from the previous books.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 14:09 If I know there are other books in a series, I have to start with the first one. Same with tv box sets, I have to go to the first season and start there. I don't do stand alones :)
It's exactly the same with me. Even so, I do think it's possible to read Skills of the Warramunga as a stand alone book.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
dingans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dingans.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by dingans »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 10:27 This book seems to be on the recapitulation phase of the three books of which this is the third in the series. I pity those who were not yet of any working knowledge of the previous two, so to speak. The reading of this last book should be propped up by foreknowledge of the previous two for optimum enjoyment. For instance, how important was Colonel Johnny Cook to Jacko and the other two? Surely the backstory must be first taken from the previous books.
I've just finished reading the third book as a complete newbie to the series. I suspect it's the romantic relationships that aren't as meaningful to readers like me compared to those who started at the beginning. It's very clear the two couples are in love, but it just won't be the same unless you've seen them meet and the relationships blossom. So I found the [spoiler: events between Jacko and Monique at the end of the book] nice, but I'm not hugely invested in it.
I echo the others, the author gave plenty of background detail from books one and two, so has done all he can.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I think this book can be a stand alone book, but if you read the full series then you can enjoy every little incident.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

To appreciate this book fully, I think what one needs to know the background of the excellent working relationship between Jack O'Brien and Jamie Munro. Sarah, who is Jack's Aboriginal sister is also quite an interesting and hardworking character mainly because of her above par tracking skills.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Though I prefer to read series chronologically, I wouldn't mind reading a latter installment of the series before the previous ones. However, there has to be sufficient flashbacks to help understand the journey of the characters.
KariD3
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karid3.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by KariD3 »

I'm the type of person that I'll pick up a book to read and read it if it sounds good, even if it's in the middle of the series. Often times I do it without knowing that its even a part of the series. Sometimes it does make it a bit confusing but I feel like if the author does a good job leaving tidbits of background information, just enough to let it be read alone than it should be fine. I haven't finished this book, but so far I think it does a decent job of doing that, and I haven't felt that confused at all.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I think this book work as a stand-alone because it takes place in a different location than the previous two. Even with the same main characters, there is a whole new plot and sub-characters.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

If you read it as a standalone, it fits well, the story is easy to follow and the story sticks. However, we get very little knowledge of the main characters- where they come from and how they came to be what the are today. So this can prove a hindrance to a few readers who want to know their main characters better.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:55 I doubt I will enjoy reading the third book first even if it's a standalone; I won't be able to shake off the feeling that I 'm missing some details.
Yes, that's definitely true. There are a few major flashbacks missing for the main characters.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”