Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by mariana90 »

I have mistakenly read the second book in a series instead of the first, and when I go back to the first, many things I thought I understood really start making sense. So I'm an advocate for correct order reading hehe
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

For me personally, it's really hard to pick up a book in the middle of a series. If I read a series, I have to start at the beginning in order to really enjoy the books.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

If I did a novel looks interesting the first thing I do is make sure I picked the first book in the series.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 23:23 The reviewer said that this book could be read as a standalone book in the series and after reading and reviewing this book too, I find that I agree completely.
Yes, it's true one can read this book totally as a standalone, the story is easy is follow and it seems fine. The only problem is that the characters of Jamie, Jacko, and Sarah are not properly introduced in this book and I feel that we need to know about them more.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

In my opinion, there is no way I'd want to read the third book in a series without having read the first two. I think it makes the third book more enjoyable when you have more of a backstory from the first two. Even if the details are mynute.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 05:03 I have mistakenly read the second book in a series instead of the first, and when I go back to the first, many things I thought I understood really start making sense. So I'm an advocate for correct order reading hehe
This is my feeling as well. Not just for this series, but for book series in general, I find that I appreciate the later books so much more when I have the background from having read all the previous ones. That being said, it is sometimes hard to get into the first book in a series, since it lays the foundation and often doesn't have as much action as the books to follow. Pros and cons either way.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

Without any knowledge of what happened in the previous two books, I don't think that I'll find that flow in the third book. So I don't think that it will be a stand-alone book for me if it didn't have important flashbacks of any situations and characters.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 05:03 I have mistakenly read the second book in a series instead of the first, and when I go back to the first, many things I thought I understood really start making sense. So I'm an advocate for correct order reading hehe
Yes, I truely understand that. Imagine if a character with evil intent changes in the first book and by the time the second book comes around he is seen in a totally different light. Correct order is always the best.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

The book can be read as a standalone and the reader would enjoy it thoroughly. Having read the first and second book in order, I would say that the characters can be better understood if you have read the books in order.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

Jyockel08 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 11:31 When I start a series out of order, I often find myself stopping mid-read and going to look for the first book. So going out of order never works for me. Thanks for the heads up!
Exactly! I have reviewed some other books here which fell in the middle of a series, and even with there is sufficient backstory to understand what is going on I always feel like I am missing out. That being said, when I do read books in order, the summary of the previous story always drives me a little batty!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

For me, I have read and reviewed some good books, which have been part of a series. Yet, I have enjoyed reading them.

So, Skills of Warranmunga should not be an exception, as far the storyline is interesting.
For example, the descriptive style used by the author in the first chapter of the book was captivating.

Thank you.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I have not read any of the other books in the series, and I am enjoying it very much. I think that this one can stand alone with no problems.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Well, I know what you mean. It’s always a risk, picking up a book from a series... but so far I think this book can be read as a stand-alone with no troubles at all.
Hopefully, I won’t change my mind in a chapter or two 😬
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Knowing what happened before is very crucial to understanding the events happening in the present. I prefer to ead the books in order rather than jumping to the latest installment than the first.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I have read the first book in the series before this one and can confidently say the basic story does not rely on the other two books to be appreciated. The only thing I think would be important to some readers is understanding where the main characters have come from relationship-wise.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”