Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 10:19
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 23:23 The reviewer said that this book could be read as a standalone book in the series and after reading and reviewing this book too, I find that I agree completely.
Yes, it's true one can read this book totally as a standalone, the story is easy is follow and it seems fine. The only problem is that the characters of Jamie, Jacko, and Sarah are not properly introduced in this book and I feel that we need to know about them more.
I agree! I felt like we jumped right into the book without much background info on the main characters. I found myself with a lot of questions about them
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 01:42 I have read the first book in the series before this one and can confidently say the basic story does not rely on the other two books to be appreciated. The only thing I think would be important to some readers is understanding where the main characters have come from relationship-wise.
And that is the aspect I found myself questioning while reading this one as I have not read the first two books
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

RoadWell wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 14:59 Yes, indeed, as the reviewer said, the third book can be read as a standalone. However, I would definitely recommend readers to give the other books a go as they will have a better understanding of the relationships between characters. For example the beginning of Jamie and Jacko's friendship and how it initially developed or the relationship between the two main characters and Colonel John Cook which began in book number one.
I did have a lot of questions I felt could be answered in the first two books - I just didnt love this one enough to want to pick up the others
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

faint9 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 05:20 The manner in which Greg Kater has connected the three books is professional. One cannot feel or detect the flow disconnect. He’s done it so well that one would mistakenly dare say it’s a standalone book. There are two books prior to Skills of the Warramunga i.e. The Warramunga’s War and The Warramunga’s Aftermath of War. The three are historical fiction books.

Being a very suspenseful book, one would feel like reading over and over again without having any feeling of boredom. Nevertheless, having squeezed the juicy part of the story, it is in order and urge to read the other two series. It’s irresistible. After having read this book, one cannot avoid the other two. You have to go back if you’ve not yet done so.
Idk I didnt find it all that suspenseful and had to force myself to finish this one because I was so bored with it! Lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 01:01
CommMayo wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 13:37 Despite being third in a series, some reviewers have said that Skills of the Warramunga could be read as a stand alone book, while other reviewers expressed some confusion because they didn't read the first two books.

Personally, I have a hard time not reading a series in order. What important details does a reader need to know if they are picking this book up without reading the two prior books in the series? Or would you say that this is truly a stand alone novel?
Reading series from the first book gives better understanding. But this one can be read as a standalone because it is a new mission entirely. That's the author's concept. He's not continuing one particular mission in all the series. Each book has a unique mission, but with the same characters and setting.
I agree, I just had questions about the main characters backgrounds that i am sure would have been answered in the first couple of books
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Charlyt wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 02:10 I've only read the first book before this and I think this third book can stand on its own. I think reading the previous books would give an advantage of deeper understanding the relationships between the characters, and also having already know and like the personalities of recurring characters. if one would read it as a stand alone, I don't think there would be any problem regarding the flow of the story.
The flow was definitely not interrupted reading this as a stand-alone
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:08 This book does work as a standalone. However, readers would be enriched by a deeper understanding of how Jacko and Jamie met and solidified their relationship. A knowledge of how Jacko and Monique met makes the ending sweeter. The more background information you have about the characters, the easier it will be to relate to the characters and connect with their experiences.
I'm curious about jacko andmonique, because I thought the ending was not very good. I have only read this third book though
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Wamakima wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 03:50 I don't support reading it as a stand alone book. I don't know, it just doesn't sound right. How will you know how Jamie and Jacko became friends? A lot of things in the first and second book provide explanation for what is happening in the third book.
But I dont think you have to know how they became friends to know that they are really good friends in the third book
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 17:45 This was my first book of the series. I rarely read all of the books in a series. Knowing that this was not a standalone book, I anticipated having to get up to speed on the characters quickly. It was like drinking from a firehouse reading the first few chapters and learning all the players and organizations. I don’t know if that particular aspect would have been easier if I had read any of the previous books or if this is just how the author started this book. It was not critical to the plot, but I would like to have known more about Jacko and Sarah’s family history. I wonder if it was addressed in either of the previous books. That was the only thing I felt I missed.
It was difficult getting everyone and every organization straight in the beginning!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 21:37
mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 05:03 I have mistakenly read the second book in a series instead of the first, and when I go back to the first, many things I thought I understood really start making sense. So I'm an advocate for correct order reading hehe
Interesting! I advocate for reading in order as well for this very reason
I heartily agree. The first book lays the groundwork and gives you the background on the characters. This helps you understand their behaviors and motivations in the following books in the series.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Ummiii wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 14:14
briellejee wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 02:31
Ummiii wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 10:47 I really think this book could be read as a stand alone. I haven't read the previous books in the series, this is the only one I have read so far but the author wrote the story in a way you wouldn't feel the need to check the other books for recaps. He included all the necessary information you need to know for this book.
Did it, in any other way, made you interested in the other books? because I could see other people saying somehow after reading this, they would want to read the first two books. Was this not the case for you?
Yes I would like to go back and read the first two. Not only to understand the relationship between some of the characters like Jacko and Sarah but because I really enjoyed the story and I want to know how it all started.
I think it's great that you considered reading the first two books! I think how Jamie and Jacko's relationship started was a bit fast yet the development of the friendship was just impressive and superb. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 21:39
Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 10:19
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 23:23 The reviewer said that this book could be read as a standalone book in the series and after reading and reviewing this book too, I find that I agree completely.
Yes, it's true one can read this book totally as a standalone, the story is easy is follow and it seems fine. The only problem is that the characters of Jamie, Jacko, and Sarah are not properly introduced in this book and I feel that we need to know about them more.
I agree! I felt like we jumped right into the book without much background info on the main characters. I found myself with a lot of questions about them
Yes you should read the other books in the series. You would enjoy the story even more.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

briellejee wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 01:16
Ummiii wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 14:14
briellejee wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 02:31

Did it, in any other way, made you interested in the other books? because I could see other people saying somehow after reading this, they would want to read the first two books. Was this not the case for you?
Yes I would like to go back and read the first two. Not only to understand the relationship between some of the characters like Jacko and Sarah but because I really enjoyed the story and I want to know how it all started.
I think it's great that you considered reading the first two books! I think how Jamie and Jacko's relationship started was a bit fast yet the development of the friendship was just impressive and superb. :tiphat:
Yes their friendship started at post WWII Cairo which is very important for the whole series.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:06
MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 17:45 This was my first book of the series. I rarely read all of the books in a series. Knowing that this was not a standalone book, I anticipated having to get up to speed on the characters quickly. It was like drinking from a firehouse reading the first few chapters and learning all the players and organizations. I don’t know if that particular aspect would have been easier if I had read any of the previous books or if this is just how the author started this book. It was not critical to the plot, but I would like to have known more about Jacko and Sarah’s family history. I wonder if it was addressed in either of the previous books. That was the only thing I felt I missed.
It was difficult getting everyone and every organization straight in the beginning!
Yes it was so confusing sometimes i had to reread some parts of the book again.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:05
Wamakima wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 03:50 I don't support reading it as a stand alone book. I don't know, it just doesn't sound right. How will you know how Jamie and Jacko became friends? A lot of things in the first and second book provide explanation for what is happening in the third book.
But I dont think you have to know how they became friends to know that they are really good friends in the third book
Yes but it would have been difficult to get invested in the characters otherwise.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”