Role of Race

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Role of Race

Post by timur777 »

It was inportant to represent the issue just as it was back in the day. The reader should keep in mind that it is not a modern time. These kinds of books live to show that there were times people did not care, and they just highlight why we should care in today's society. However racism is still alive, in a form what I call "a silent racism". Therefore, if some author speaks on it, - it is better than keeping it all quite as if it has never existed or still does not exist.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

The use of those racial terms was very well represented for that time period and not very distracting and well suited for a modern audience. If we are going to look at modern day racism well it certainly is quite a broad subject. Modern day racism has taken many different ugly forms and sometimes very difficult to even pinpoint.For instance we have even witnessed racism in the formation of modern day policy and legislation in the handling of illegal immigrants. Hate breeds hate and love always sees past ones color as we read in this book.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:39 No. It isn't too distracting for the modern audience. And one must note that although racial issues were very common at that time, it hasn't ceased. Not hearing it been mentioned all the time doesn't necessarily mean it no longer exists.
yes! louder for the people in the back!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

All those terms are to be expected. The racial issues were lightly touched on though. The most surprising for me was the treatment of Sarah as a goddess. I think that is a first where a black person is elevated in that sense. Racial discrimination still exists even in today's society.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

The role of the races is significant because that shows the diversity in the world. The intermarriage between persons like Carna and Jamie shows the beauty in learning to coexist and the merits it breeds. Words such as lubra and half caste shows how far we come in learning to handle racial differences.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

No, I do not think it was distracting. Also, I think that the author has done a great job in displaying the different races of the time.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I don't think it was distracting, in fact I was expecting the racism to be more brutal, but it was actually very much the same as we see today... so that tells you something...
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I still hear people use terms such as half caste etc, although personality I don't like these terms I think that some people really don't know what to say or describe people, and don't always mean offense.

I personally don't like to categorise people into 'castes' 'races' and black and white, but sometimes it is very hard to talk about things without using the terms that other people are using, so I guess the context and societies understanding is important

But still I don't like hearing talks about race, since it is a sensitive issue, and since I feel in the end that people have divided people up into racists and victims.

I wish that more writers would just encourage people to see each other as brothers, and fellow human beings, rather than there being two groups placed like the pawns in chess sets

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”