Role of Race

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Re: Role of Race

Post by nchoate12 »

I think plenty of racial issues still continue today, unfortunately. So I believe the comparison works in past, present, and future.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I don't think it was too much for the modern audience. We still live in a racist world, and there is still too much racism around. Compared to that, the books are quite mild on racism, just maybe not from whom you'd expect nowadays. I mean, you wouldn't probably expect someone educated and of high status and job position to make racist comments nowadays. But all in all, I didn't find it as racist as book that were actually written decades ago.
Ddennis88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddennis88.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ddennis88 »

Coming across racial terms in reading always stops me. I even feel a twinge of guilt for reading them because I understand the hatred that caused the use of them. I do feel that they are important for authenticity in a work like this, though. That being said, usage needs to be just the right amount. It can't be over the top; that's when it becomes distracting. Great question.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Ddennis88 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 14:55 Coming across racial terms in reading always stops me. I even feel a twinge of guilt for reading them because I understand the hatred that caused the use of them. I do feel that they are important for authenticity in a work like this, though. That being said, usage needs to be just the right amount. It can't be over the top; that's when it becomes distracting. Great question.
I agree about it being used at the right amount as it could be distracting. Just like reading gory stuff in murder mysteries, I tend to veer away from them immediately when it's just too much. I guess it's the same in reading racial slurs, no matter how much it can contribute to the authenticity of the book, some readers can only take what they can. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Beatus wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 01:17 I would think that any offence is mostly within oneself. When you read a book and it stirs your emotions in my opinion that is a good thing. It means the author did the job right. How to deal with your emotions is nobody's business however, it is paramount to not let the knowledge or feelings you get from a book define you. So for me the book is good.
I agree with this though it cannot be applied to other things or topics like stereotyping of genders. If we're talking about the book being authentic, then so be it. But this only applies to historical books. However, if the main characters or theme of the book is offensive in nature (like it being subtly racist) then, the author didn't do a good job. Stirring emotions is good, impressive even, but being offensive purposely because of lack of research or knowledge or even empathy is downright stupid and selfish. :techie-studyingbrown:
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I think it is important to illustrate racism in books in order for readers to learn how terrible it is. It can be eye-opening for someone who has never experienced racism to see it portrayed in such a way. It doesn't replace actual experience, but it may help them recognize the prevalence of the issue.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I don’t think it was distracting, but I thought it odd that pretty much every man had to comment on Sarah’s skin color when they met her. She was standing right there! I thought it was just as much sexist as it was racist. Jacko had a lot of practice deflecting those comments.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 23:49 I don’t think it was distracting, but I thought it odd that pretty much every man had to comment on Sarah’s skin color when they met her. She was standing right there! I thought it was just as much sexist as it was racist. Jacko had a lot of practice deflecting those comments.
I think so as well. It was pretty much a portrayal of how racism was back in those days.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

This modern audience should not be having problems with racial issues. We should just understand that during that period it was quite common and the author is just conveying the message.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

OliviaLouise wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 07:48 I think it is important to represent issues of race in literature. Although you might not hear these specific terms levied against this specific culture today, race issues prevail worldwide and by seeing them included in literature, we are reminded as readers that even though we have a come a long way, there is still a lot to learn.
Can't say better than you did.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

I think words such as those lettings credence and authenticity to any tale from those times. Besides, as another commentator has remarked, the racial issues are still there, and are merely presented differently these days.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The racial issues were very common at that time and it was the key to power because back then gave more value to race, but in today’s society though racism is still strong, people understand that only racism cannot win bread and butter. and they have to accept other races to survive.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

I think we should not be afraid of language. Political correctness has no place in a society that touts free-speech. I may not agree with what you say, or even how you say it, but I will defend your right to say it. Words have meanings, and in some cases, context, for a time or place. I think Greg Kater did an admirable job relating the issue in context for the time period he is portraying. For myself, I was surprised at how well both Jacko and Sarah were accepted overall for that place and time period! Lest we think racism is solely a white issue, there are plenty of examples of Asian, Black, Indian, Hispanic, Arab, and Jewish racism throughout history towards others of different colors, nationalities and creeds. Human nature is after all human. Self-righteous political correctness denies that and gets in the way of accurately exploring the truth about people and their relationships to one another.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think race always plays a part, as does gender in roles. It is part of what makes a character, just as much as their moral character, physical abilities, etc. All these pieces make a character who they are and how the characters interact. How much of a lesson, or theme is based around race can be up to the author and/or reader, but is always a part of characterization.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

No I don't think it's too distracting for a modern audience. During the time, in which the booka are set it was normal but even today there are racial issues. Just because we don't here it much doesn't mean the issue is not there.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”