Role of Race

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Role of Race

Post by La Cabra »

If the book didn't feature any racial terms, it would've seemed less authentic. I came across a few people saying that these terms make them uncomfortable and highlight a part of history that shouldn't be repeated so it could've been brought to light without using such 'nasty terms', so to speak.
I don't disagree, but really some books suit some readers better than they do others. I wouldn't want a child or a young teen reading this and being led to think the terminology is acceptable--and they won't. Because this book is an adult book, surely the adult audience can tell good past from bad past?
And bad or not, I don't believe in hiding history. We learn from history--both good and bad.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

Not at all distracting, I'm a fun of authenticity and words like that help portray a situation as it was, modern racial words are sugarcoated hence dilutes the severity or seriousness of the situation. Authenticity let's it sink deeper in our minds/imagination.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I understand that race was a crucial aspect then and as it is now, however, better terms used to represent racial differences could be better. Although perhaps it was used for authenticity of the novels.
VTEC lar it
Favorite Book: A Thousand Seeds of Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vtec-lar-it.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by VTEC lar it »

of course race is an issue that still needs to be discussed! I think any book not representing race adequately as a theme, especially in such matters, is not remaining true to our times.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Any story that is in the past must be able to accurately capture the hearts of characters. Meaning they must put themselves into the mind frame of those characters in order to build them up properly.
Spencer Mack
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I think I'd prefer this way of presenting racial issues. It gives me the impression the story's being honest, instead of delving just toe-deep into the topic and avoid being "too politically incorrect".
Karenvanant
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Three Daughters of Eve
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karenvanant.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Karenvanant »

I think for the time period it was very relevant. I recently read The Pearl Sister from Lucinda Riley which also contains part of the Australian's Aboriginal history and terms like "half-cast" were also used. I think to "sugarcoat" this would undermine the reality of the racial issues of the time in question.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Isn't it strange that people in every culture can find a group to single out and treat with disrespect? I wish we could find more reasons to stay close than to be divided.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

Race issues has been an old thing and it just evolves diferentely in each generation, The author did a great job highlighting race issues in this book.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

One thing we have to consider is that the past terms can not be compared to the current ones. The terms used in the past were correct as per that time. We currently live modern lives where people are sophisticated so there might be a difference. All the same, I'm going to read this book to find out the role that race played in it.
Books are beautiful.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Racism still exists, even though in undertones. It might not be as rampant as it was earlier. People have come up with ways of camouflaging it but the stench of racism still remains. In the book the issue has been downplayed but one would not deny the fact that the use of those two words definitely strikes a chord somewhere inside.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

raikyuu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 19:56 While this may be a sensitve thing to talk about, I am not a fan of striving for authenticity for its own sake. There are a lot of creative ways to express the issue of race in a novel.
A writer has to be true to the story. They can choose the characters, and may use characters that are outsiders to the time period, which is sometimes one a modern audience might not be proud of. But every character should feel like a product of their time. The illusion of reality defines the best stories. And stories that feel real have lessons that tend to resonate with readers the most. Literature at it’s best shows solutions to problems you don’t want to get stuck with in life. But if such conflicts end up on one’s doorstep, a reader may feel doubly prepared for it.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

This was something I struggled with while I was reading. I don't think the author was ever intentionally racist though he did write some characters that way which is unfortunately accurate to the way some humans are. I think there were a few scenes or descriptions that could have been written better regardless of the time period or situation of the characters.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I don't think it was too distracting. These things are a part of our history and it helps us to see how far we have come and how much further we need to go.
Jim Bob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jim-bob.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Jim Bob »

I believe the author rightly represents issues of race. Race helps the readers to appreciate the diversity of their origins.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”