Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Post by Popcorn1 »

There's one thing that I love when I'm reading historical fiction books, it's the discovery of new unexplored or submerged information about certain things. I know that many countries have participated in the World War II but I didn't know that Malaysia is one of them. That is a new fact that I have discovered and it sparked the curiosity to know more about the history of World War II in more detail.
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by karendi jururi »

I was not aware of the direct connection between Malaysia and WWII.

This proved interesting. I like historical fiction because it brings light to facts that I would have otherwise ignored.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

First of all, I didn't know Malaysia was involved in WW2. The book is an eye openner and source of great information.
Bothofus07
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bothofus07.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Bothofus07 »

One of my favorite things about this book was the setting. Plenty of fiction and non-fiction has been written about WWII in Europe, Japan and the US. This is the first thing I’ve read about Malaysia. The presence of so many cultures, and the influence of so many foreign governments, was truly fascinating.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I haven't read the book yet but it sounds pretty good after reading it's review. Historical fiction is one of those genres that I love so much and I can't wait to start reading this book to learn more on post-world war two in Malaysia.
Books are beautiful.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think living in the Western Hemisphere means that the only thing most of us know about the Pacific Theater in WWII is the bombing of Pearl Harbor followed by the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We learn only about the fights that directly affected our nation and do not learn about everything that was happening in the area, including Japan's aggression against most of the other nations in the area. I like that a lot about this series of books, that they are reminding us "Westerners" that World War II really was a world war and not just Europe and the US.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I was thinking about this while I was reading. I had never heard of most of the places and people in this book, and while many of the people I assume are fictional, the history is real. I would be curious to look up more about it from a 100% historically accurate point of view.
Jim Bob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jim-bob.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Jim Bob »

The history of Malaysia is well brought out, From the world war two to how their got their independence and post independence. I couldn't have asked for more.
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

I love the facts woven into the book. I can now see the second world-war through the Malaysian perspective, thanks to Greg Kater. I am not into history as much but this is an amazing historical fiction.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

My history did less to inform me about the WWII, all that it focused on was generalising the major powers at the expense of other key players in that war. Personally, I didn't know that Malaysia participated in that war until I read this book. The author did well by even mentioning about the ways and practices of Malaysians.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 21:43 Well, that's one interesting thing about books. They help to discover, criticise and correct the wrongs of society. In actual sense, it being about an era and place not often written about makes the book more captivating. Like everything else, humans love new things and will like to explore more. For this reason, once one starts reading the book, it becomes a new addictive drug they can't stop taking :wink: . Though, I haven't completed the book, I can tell the place is just like any other place, it has its good and bad. While people try to push forward, the anti progress minded ones will do anything to sabotage that. What I'll like to learn more about is the culture or way of life of the people way back before the era the author wrote about and also how it is at the moment.
That's so true. I really like the way you beautifully summed it up. Good.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

I surely will love to read this book . The review have convinced me .
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I also did not know to what extent Malaysia was involved in all that. So it was fruitful to read about. Plus I enjoy reading about their culture, because of it's relation to my culture.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Being a fan of history, I have read several historical studies on the subject. But I have never read a historical novel in this setting.
Therefore, I did not learn anything particularly new from this book. However, it is very interesting to read historical novels in an unusual setting. Human history is much more than ancient Rome or Victorian London.
IBesides, this book is very well written.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”