Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Post by mcdonaldchola »

My grandfather took part in WWII and he would tell me stories about a certain place called Malaya but I never took him seriously. When reading this book that's when I realized that it was a real place and I wished I paid attention to the details. He had travelled all the way from Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, to fight on behalf of the British Government.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

ab2020 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:02 This book brings to life an era and a place not often written about. What did you think of this? What did you learn about post-WWII Malaysia, and what else would you like to know?
I was a bit confused by all of it. I had never even heard of malaria before this book!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

mcdonaldchola wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 13:00 My grandfather took part in WWII and he would tell me stories about a certain place called Malaya but I never took him seriously. When reading this book that's when I realized that it was a real place and I wished I paid attention to the details. He had travelled all the way from Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, to fight on behalf of the British Government.
That's kind if amazing!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

briellejee wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 03:14
DC Brown wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 22:16 I appreciate how Kater weaves historical facts throughout his books. I've read the other two as well and have learned much about the aborigines, WWII, and its effect on lands unknown to me. I begin to wonder if he was there?
As a matter of fact, the author travels to these lands to get their history. For his fourth book, he traveled to China for it so I think he also did for the other three. Kater is also a good researcher on history.
How fun! Nd what a good way to engrossed yourself in your researchA
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:48
ab2020 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:02 This book brings to life an era and a place not often written about. What did you think of this? What did you learn about post-WWII Malaysia, and what else would you like to know?
I was a bit confused by all of it. I had never even heard of malaria before this book!
Malaria is a disease and generally seen all around the world.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

mcdonaldchola wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 13:00 My grandfather took part in WWII and he would tell me stories about a certain place called Malaya but I never took him seriously. When reading this book that's when I realized that it was a real place and I wished I paid attention to the details. He had travelled all the way from Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, to fight on behalf of the British Government.
Seems that you must have enjoyed this book a lot.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Karina Nowak wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 18:53
ViziVoir wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 15:59 Personally, I love it when authors bring their niche experiences or passions into their books. It gives them a bit of flavor and can make the stories feel that much more realistic.
I appreciate this as well. Technically it's still a war story which is a reused theme since the beginning of time, but this new perspective piques the reader's interest.
Yes, the authors use of this kind of details are what makes this book special.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:50
briellejee wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 03:14
DC Brown wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 22:16 I appreciate how Kater weaves historical facts throughout his books. I've read the other two as well and have learned much about the aborigines, WWII, and its effect on lands unknown to me. I begin to wonder if he was there?
As a matter of fact, the author travels to these lands to get their history. For his fourth book, he traveled to China for it so I think he also did for the other three. Kater is also a good researcher on history.
How fun! Nd what a good way to engrossed yourself in your researchA
Yes , I read the book originating in China. Its also packed with heavy action and suspense.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

LinaMueller wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 18:10 I didn't know anything about the Japanese Kempeitai before reading this book. Greg Kater seems to know a lot about history.
He does his research about his books and even more so he travels to the places he mentioned in his books- ehich is the reason why he seems to be knowledgable about them. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Wow, your grandpa sounds amazing! I never heard of Malaya before reading this book.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Karina Nowak wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 18:53
ViziVoir wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 15:59 Personally, I love it when authors bring their niche experiences or passions into their books. It gives them a bit of flavor and can make the stories feel that much more realistic.
I appreciate this as well. Technically it's still a war story which is a reused theme since the beginning of time, but this new perspective piques the reader's interest.
Agreed! Stories told in different perspectives always are interesting. As they've said, there are two sides of the coin. :wink2:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 01:45
Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:48
Malaria is a disease and generally seen all around the world.
Bahaha I suppose I should proofread my comments before submitting them! That was an autocorrect on my phone! Haha I definitely know what malaria is and that is not what I meant to write haha
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I actually had to do a lot of research to keep up with the book....did not know much about Australia, Malaysia, or the routes between them before this series.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I learned everything that I know about this time in Malaysian history from this book. I wish the author would have included a brief history lesson of what actually happened (at the end of the book) . I found many of the things confusing and wish there would have been a little more background about the war and the "current" situation in Malaya. It would have helped me get into the story faster.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

While I haven't read the book (yet), I'm definitely interested in it because of the rarely seen setting. I don't know much about post-WWII Malaysia and I'd love to find out more.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”