What do you think about the ending? (warning possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: What do you think about the ending? (warning possible spoilers)

Post by Howlan »

briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:41
Falconcrest wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:07 Yes, definitely the ending was a bit cliched for me. "And they lived happily ever after". Not really what I expected there was something unquestionably missing.
Since it is the third book in the series, I guess it is already good enough. But you'll consider it as a standalone book, then, of course, it would have been cliche. :tiphat:
That's definitely true . If it would have been the first or second books in the series then I would be looking for a major cliffhanger or else some thing that could excite me for the upcoming book in the series.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:31 I think it ended well enough. Any extra action at the end would have a bit cliche and unnecessary.
Yes, you're right.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Samantha Shinn wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 03:36 The ending was a bit odd for me compared to how much action was in the book, but I am pleased about Jacko getting a happy ending. However, with the fact that they didn't capture all of the bandits, I was hoping there would be an action-packed scene at the wedding. What do you guys think about the ending? What were you envisioning to happen?
I don't have any issue with the ending. I think the author intended to end the series here. So it's best not to make readers expect more.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 01:06
Samantha Shinn wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 03:36 The ending was a bit odd for me compared to how much action was in the book, but I am pleased about Jacko getting a happy ending. However, with the fact that they didn't capture all of the bandits, I was hoping there would be an action-packed scene at the wedding. What do you guys think about the ending? What were you envisioning to happen?
I don't have any issue with the ending. I think the author intended to end the series here. So it's best not to make readers expect more.
Yes, though i would really love another adventure, the author gave us a conclusion that did not make much hopeful for a new story. So I definitely agree with you that the author intends to end the series here.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked the ending and was a bit surprised that there was another mission to accomplish in the end. I also liked the personal touch on Jacko's life at the end.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think the ending was great and I was envisioning this type of ending, where the good characters succeed and the villains are caught.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I was expecting some heartache at the end. It is very rare for everyone to live happily ever after so it was nice for a change, it wound everything down nicely and easily. I'm not sure if I'd want that out of all of my books though!
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I envision the ending as a grand finale in a story of war! It is a world of my dream and fancy that I wish to come true!
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

Every tough mission should end with a big party! I thought the ending was fine, and happy that Monique got her way in the end.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:31 I think it ended well enough. Any extra action at the end would have a bit cliche and unnecessary.
I agree. The ending was sweet and balanced well the rest of the book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

I feel that the ending was just perfect and a much needed one after all the jungling, tracking and capturing :evil2: . Jacko's wedding seems like the calm after a huge storm signifying that although there has been chaos, we can still have fun. It was also like the cool bottle of water one takes after a hot day out working, etc. I think that any more action at the end won't have had the reality kinda feel to the book, which will make it somehow overbearing for the reader. Because trust me, I was so praying to see the wedding and then boom, the author didn't disappoint. :tiphat:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

So perhaps the ending was a bit less than action-packed. I personally love happy endings and was thrilled to see Jacko and Monique finally get theirs!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 19:45 I feel that the ending was just perfect and a much needed one after all the jungling, tracking and capturing :evil2: . Jacko's wedding seems like the calm after a huge storm signifying that although there has been chaos, we can still have fun. It was also like the cool bottle of water one takes after a hot day out working, etc. I think that any more action at the end won't have had the reality kinda feel to the book, which will make it somehow overbearing for the reader. Because trust me, I was so praying to see the wedding and then boom, the author didn't disappoint. :tiphat:
Yes it definitely was the anti climatic end that was required after the great action packed story.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I'm all about cliff hangers. I like when we're left to interpret the ending or left to our own devices.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I thought it ended a little abruptly. I honestly expected there to be another page or two after the wedding. I am not upset about the stereotypical "and they lived happily ever after" part, but I would have appreciated there being a hint of what was going to happen next.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”