Aborigine siblings

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Aborigine siblings

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

Agreeable! The chemistry between those two was just to die for. I really love how the author created them. You might think they are one of those inseperable twins, who no matter what, one is there for the other😍. And though they might not like the same things, they kinda overlook it with that "I don't care" aura. #sibling goal.🤗
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The bond between Jacko and Sarah was one to be envied. It was real and pure. The kind that needs to be grasped in our present society. The notion that our differences divide us should be dropped and instead unite us.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Aknotts19 wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 05:31 Jacko and Sarah felt very authentic. My first thought was that I thought it was unusual that Jacko would put his sister in danger; however, my feminism kicked in and I could appreciate how he empowered her.
I really like your use of "authentic" to describe their relationship. I'm sure the author would be really happy to read that.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

Jacko and Sarah's relationship is one of my favourite parts of the book. They're very cute and you can tell how much they care for each other. They have a very stable and loving relationship and it was nice to read the pride they had for each other
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

They sure made a good team. And I loved their unbelievably good skills.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I envy their relationship with each other. Their excellent together even if they're only half-siblings. They also got each other's back and takes care of the other. Also I felt genuine concern when Jacko almost blew himself up and Sarah was crying because of worry.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:54
naomisorge wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 13:57 Does anyone know exactly what bikpela means? Google didn't give me much joy!

I also like how Jacko has respect for Sarah's skills. I just read a scene where someone suggested that she should stay home where it was safe, and Jacko said something like "we're safer with her." I feel like that might not have been too common back in those times.
Bikpela means big. If she calls him that, I think it meant big brother. But im not sure as well. :eusa-think:

I agree! I liked that scene as well as it shows how Jacko values her skills more than his.
It also means "master" or "lord" but unless it was sarcasm or she was teasing him, I really can't see Sarah calling him that!!
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I think sometimes sibling relationships can be difficult to write, but the author did a great job of subtly showing their relationship through actions here and there.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I agree. Those moments between Jacko and Sarah were so sweet, and I really enjoyed reading them.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Jacko and Sarah have the ideal sibling relationship. They care about each other and they joke around often. Their bond is strong and it is so sweet. :D
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 00:32
naomisorge wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 13:57 Does anyone know exactly what bikpela means? Google didn't give me much joy!

I also like how Jacko has respect for Sarah's skills. I just read a scene where someone suggested that she should stay home where it was safe, and Jacko said something like "we're safer with her." I feel like that might not have been too common back in those times.
Bikpela means big. If she calls him that, I think it meant big brother. But im not sure as well. :eusa-think:

I agree! I liked that scene as well as it shows how Jacko values her skills more than his.
It also means "master" or "lord" but unless it was sarcasm or she was teasing him, I really can't see Sarah calling him that!!
What language would it be? Warammunga or Malay? Seeing how they tease each other, I would go for sarcasm.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Melissa Breen wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 14:46 Jacko and Sarah's relationship is one of my favourite parts of the book. They're very cute and you can tell how much they care for each other. They have a very stable and loving relationship and it was nice to read the pride they had for each other
Same here. No one could even notice they're half siblings because they just seem so close.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I enjoyed their relationship with one another. I do wish Sarah would have been able to have more independence, but considering the time period the book is set in, she probably had more than would have been realistic.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved the relationship between Jacko and Sarah. They looked for opportunities to speak positively of each other. They worked well together and respected on another. I thought their relationship was an inspirational model for readers.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

briellejee wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 03:03
Kelyn wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 00:32

It also means "master" or "lord," but unless it was sarcasm or she was teasing him, I really can't see Sarah calling him that!!
What language would it be? Warammunga or Malay? Seeing how they tease each other, I would go for sarcasm.
Going by what I found, it is from the language "Toc Pisin," which is a dialect of Warammunga.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”