Suspenseful Scenes.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Re: Suspenseful Scenes.

Post by Nerea »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:48 The most suspensful scene of the book that thrilled me was when Jacko, Jamie and Sarah were rescuing Johnny, and they were in dire danger of being caught.
Couldn't agree enough.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
mddodgen
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mddodgen.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by mddodgen »

I agree with CommMayo regarding reading suspenseful scenes way to quickly. I get so wrapped up in the story I am left breathless. I am always so disgusted with myself if I happen to miss an important part of the scenario. I have to make myself go back and re-read the scene and promise myself I won't do that again.
And course I always do. I will try your method of covering up the paragraph and see if I have a little more discipline next time! :tiphat:
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

There were many thrilling scenes in this book that had me on edge. The most thrilling one, probably, was the scene where Sarah, Jacko, and Jamie were rescuing Johnny. It was very suspenseful and I was worried that they might get caught.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Mr Benji wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 18:31 For me, the introduction in the first chapter was captivating.

I love the description of the "art of abducting" Jonny, too.

Especially, for the scene where he was helped even by one of the bandits.

I think that everyone has a soft nature. We just wish it is all we see all the time from every person.

This nature will make the society better, indeed.

Thank you.
Yes. But that act surprised me because it rarely happens in real life.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

kperm wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 11:14 There were many thrilling scenes in this book that had me on edge. The most thrilling one, probably, was the scene where Sarah, Jacko, and Jamie were rescuing Johnny. It was very suspenseful and I was worried that they might get caught.
True.
No Wahala
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

briellejee wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 23:02
CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:38 I have this funny habit of trying to read way too fast during suspenseful scenes. Sometimes I need to literally hide the next paragraph with my hand so I don't try to read two paragraphs as one time. Am I crazy or did anyone else do that?
I 100% am guilty of doing this! Haha and I definitely caught myself doing it multiple times in this book that’s for sure!
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

Most scenes were suspenseful and it became excruciatingly painful for me to sit still with all the dramatic irony flying all around the book. A scene like the one that dealt with the parade where they had to make sure there was no havoc, the MSS plan was perfect yet the bandits were gonna double cross that and that had me cursing villains (bad guys) for being so smart😅.
Amal going into those caves too, "sigh" well, really gave me the chills. Authors will make me die from too much anticipation running around in my system😃.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:38 I have this funny habit of trying to read way too fast during suspenseful scenes. Sometimes I need to literally hide the next paragraph with my hand so I don't try to read two paragraphs as one time. Am I crazy or did anyone else do that?
That's funny. Personally, I would do that then go back to where I left off...Hehehe.
No Wahala
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I really liked the opening scene. It was so suspenseful and attention grabbing. I also liked the ambush at the end of the book. I was holding my breath while reading it, wondering if all the bandits and their leaders would be captured or if someone would manage to slip away.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

LV2R wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:53 One suspenseful scene was when Amal followed a tall man from a jeep into the Sam Poh Tong limestone caves when the man could have been Pieter de Groote who had murdered several people. It was so dangerous to go in alone without backup and no one knew his whereabouts!
I thought that scene was really suspenseful too!
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Oh, so many of them! Johnny's kidnapping, the team going into the caves, if they'd be able to stop the ceremony interruptions, catching the bandits near the end of the book. The whole book is so fast-paced and exciting, I wouldn't put it down if I could.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 20:24 . A scene like the one that dealt with the parade where they had to make sure there was no havoc, the MSS plan was perfect yet the bandits were gonna double cross that and that had me cursing villains (bad guys) for being so smart😅.
Cursing the villains because of them being smart is also totally me! :lol2: I mean, a part of me liked this conflict and twist but a small part of me just wants the good guys to have peace! :D
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 12:49 Oh, so many of them! Johnny's kidnapping, the team going into the caves, if they'd be able to stop the ceremony interruptions, catching the bandits near the end of the book. The whole book is so fast-paced and exciting, I wouldn't put it down if I could.
Agree with this! The book is full of thrillers that I had a hard time putting it down as well! The cave was my favorite part. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

nchoate12 wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 10:09 Probably when Johnny is rescued. I like to listen to instrumental music while I read so that probably helped put me on edge as well.
Cool! I liked that. I do this a lot myself, not only to the scenes with tension and suspense in it but basically I listen to some instrumentals while reading a book.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

kperm wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 11:14 There were many thrilling scenes in this book that had me on edge. The most thrilling one, probably, was the scene where Sarah, Jacko, and Jamie were rescuing Johnny. It was very suspenseful and I was worried that they might get caught.
Yeah it was their first time in that terrain and it had me tensed as well. It was a scene very well credited by the author.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”