Who was your most disliked villain?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Who was your most disliked villain?

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Who was your most disliked villain? I disliked Dirk the most because he was brutal, evil, as well as cunning.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I dislike DeGroot the most. He seemed to relish murder and mayhem. And he seems to be the kind of character who would do those things just for the fun of it, even if there was no ultimate motive in mind.

It was sickening how he laughed as he drove away after killing the office manager and his secretary at the mine.

The author did a great job of making the reader hate this villain.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
JayUwU
Currently Reading: Vampire Knight
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by JayUwU »

I didn't enjoy Degroot he's deranged and enjoys kiling a bit too much for my liking.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

e-tasana-williams wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 21:19 I dislike DeGroot the most. He seemed to relish murder and mayhem. And he seems to be the kind of character who would do those things just for the fun of it, even if there was no ultimate motive in mind.

It was sickening how he laughed as he drove away after killing the office manager and his secretary at the mine.

Same here, DeGroot was my most hated villain. I have villains I liked since they are complicated and smart, but DeGroot is just trash. I agree that that scene was disgusting and that the author did a good job in writing his characters.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

Dirk definitely. His disregard for everyone's life and the ease at which he basically handed out death sentences was very intense. All he cared about was the end result
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

I disliked Dirk the most, especially closer to the end where he really didn't care what happened to his men. There is no "honor among thieves" here!
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

The only thing I disliked about the villains were the fact that they were murders but apart from that they were pretty cool, creative and innovative. 🤗 "Runs and hides".
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Melissa Breen wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 14:39 Dirk definitely. His disregard for everyone's life and the ease at which he basically handed out death sentences was very intense. All he cared about was the end result
Agreed. I like villains who are smart and have that somehow dark background on why they became a bad person. and usually, they have a certain principle on why they are doing bad things. However, in Dirk's case, he's just an a**h*le.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

The potrayal of DeGroot in the story by the author was good. He defintely lacked the evil mastermind that I appreciate in a good villian. But for this story I think he stads out as the most villianous one.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I dislike Degroot the most. But he is a good villain let's be honest and I always like a good antagonist.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

e-tasana-williams wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 21:19 I dislike DeGroot the most. He seemed to relish murder and mayhem. And he seems to be the kind of character who would do those things just for the fun of it, even if there was no ultimate motive in mind.

I agree. Dirk/DeGroot/Hendrik Janssen was the most loathsome villain in the book. He was so remorseless as he played mind games with his victims. Like a true psychopath, he used his charm to gain the trust of his victims before attacking them. It was interesting how Sarah and Jamie were suspicious of him from the start.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

briellejee wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 22:47

Same here, DeGroot was my most hated villain. I have villains I liked since they are complicated and smart, but DeGroot is just trash. I agree that that scene was disgusting and that the author did a good job in writing his characters.
I agree. Especially as the antagonists are necessary to drive to plotline forward. But yeah, he is awful and very easy to hate.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

DeGroot seemed to enjoy violence and murder just for the sake of it. I can't empathize with a character like that. I think the "best" villains are the ones that I can understand their motivations. DeGroot is not one of those for me.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

I dislike DeGroot a lot. He killed the office manager and the secretary and even made a phone call to the police as he was someone caring.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

He seemed evil to the core. With no remorse

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”