Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Post by Jyockel08 »

I need to add this book to my shelf. I appreciate any author that is able to weave together the history with the lives of the men and women that lived through it. All the reviews seem to point to great story telling.
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

The writing was detailed and very technical at times, communicating a variety of pieces of machinery from the ship without getting stale or boring. There was a large cast of characters, but it was easy to keep everyone straight.
My rating is 4 out of 4 stars.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller is good read, that I advise everyone to catch up, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars as my rating. I sighted humour, love, sad, happiness and pride, while reading this story since the writer captured those very well. I really loved how Martin stood his ground in the game of slapies and Howell mimicked McCoy amidst admitting his mischief, but I found the dialects a bit confusing during differing instances. The characters plus their traits are well crafted, even though the events are not dated, periods like morning, afternoon et cetera are mentioned.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

[bn=][/bn]
fmd1821 wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 04:31 Usually, I do not read books about war, but this one blends together so many elements and the story is so well-written that it was a pleasure to read. I give it 4 out of 4 stars - and I think I will read it again soon.
Thanks for the positive review. In terms of knowing and understanding History, I am motivated to read this book.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

It's a good book that I recommend everyone read. Because there are many lessons to be learned. I rate this book 4. It has good reviews. Well edited. Everything is complete. I liked it.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I am yet to read the book but I have always loved war stories. They are usually filled with emotional connotations and make for powerful reading. It has been added to my wishlist.
MA
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I haven't read this book yet and I normally don't like reading about war, but this one sounds different. I love a strong writing style and well-developed characters. The Vietnam war was devastating so it's nice that the author incorporates multiple perspectives. Another plus is his experience in Vietnam. I think I'll look more deeply into this one.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

kelseydwf wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:05 I haven't read this book yet and I normally don't like reading about war, but this one sounds different. I love a strong writing style and well-developed characters. The Vietnam war was devastating so it's nice that the author incorporates multiple perspectives. Another plus is his experience in Vietnam. I think I'll look more deeply into this one.
Please do!
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

I definitely continued thinking about the story long after finishing it. I can’t say that I truly related to any of the characters, but I liked this aspect of seeing life through the lenses of those much different from my own. For those who don’t know much about the Vietnam's war, this can be a nice window into this part of the history. Therefore, I chose to give Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.
Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

To some extent, most people who sacrifice a lot to fight for other people's rights or rather even fight during patriotic duties are always disadvantaged on matters to do with compensation. I wonder how the fighters in Vietnam war were treated. Looking forward to read this and discover more on this war.
godly02
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godly02.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by godly02 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:43 I loved this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I liked how the author tackled the adversities and horros of war, and also how veterans may not be treated like the heroes they are. The part I liked least about this book was the detailed description of what war entailed. I would definitely recommend this book to others in order to ensure such an issue of denying pension to veterans is boycotted by many.
The details of the war would make it hard for me. I have lots of family members that have served. I tend to stay away from detailed war books because of it. Reading your comment definitely let’s me know this books is not for me.
godly02
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godly02.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by godly02 »

Oliver_books wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 07:43 I definitely continued thinking about the story long after finishing it. I can’t say that I truly related to any of the characters, but I liked this aspect of seeing life through the lenses of those much different from my own. For those who don’t know much about the Vietnam's war, this can be a nice window into this part of the history. Therefore, I chose to give Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.
It is nice to see things from the lens of someone he has lived it first hand. I’ve had that privilege with my family members.
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

:) I am not usually a reader of war books but this one might be different. After reading several reviews, it sounds as if this book give details of the persons life as well as historic details. I will definitely consider reading this one.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
Emi Waseimoala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-waseimoala.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Emi Waseimoala »

I had just started reading the book and it hit me how much I wanted to see it in film. What I liked the most about the book is how It captures our imagination and relates the life of veterans, how they decide to find love in midst of all the havoc and how their better half stood by their side. As young as he is, Martin is a survivor. I am more of a fan of war movies than war stories but 'Deadly Waters' by Randy Miller might be an exception. I recommend this book to war loving bookworms with a touch of romance in it.
"In any war story, but especially a true one, it's difficult to separate what happened from what seemed to happen."
Tim O'Brien
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

Based on the official review, I can feel that this will be an emotional book to read. I have to be prepare my eyes and heart before I read this. Though I am not a fan of historical fictions, I believe I would enjoy this book because experiences of war veterans are shared.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”