Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Post by Deepa09k »

I have read the blurb and the reviews and the book seemed so interesting from them. Vietnam war had a profound effect on one entire generation of humanity and it seems the author has succeeded in capturing those thoughts well into his book. This book goes into the "read definitely" part of my shelf.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 20:46
Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 03:26
gali wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 00:01 This is a discussion topic for the November 2019 Book of the Month, Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
This book is an eye-opener. I began to understand the terrible things veterans suffer from the system they served and sacrificed their lives for. What I like most is the humor the author added. I like the part Zach and Chief played slapsies. I strongly recommend this book to all so that they would learn to honor veterans and military personnels. I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
I like that the book contains elements of humor. It's needed to balance out in such a book that will undoubtedly contain some gruesome scenes. I hope it was tastefully integrated though.
Yes. The author was apt with humor.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

I am currently reading the book and give it 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are described, feelings articulated and the plot is well thought through. I found difficulty in understanding the Vietnamese English, but loved the humor in the dialogues. I recommend the book to those who love war stories and reading in general. This is story you ought to catch up on.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I had a really difficult time deciding on a rating for this book because reading it took me back to that time and surfaced a lot of emotions. I quite unreasonably wanted the book to be more than it was ever intended to be. It's the story of one man and also of many other men just like him, and it deserves 4 out of 4 stars. The only part I disliked somewhat was the dialog at the beginning. The crazy spelling made it hard to read.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 16:11
Jachike Samuelson wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 20:46
Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 03:26

This book is an eye-opener. I began to understand the terrible things veterans suffer from the system they served and sacrificed their lives for. What I like most is the humor the author added. I like the part Zach and Chief played slapsies. I strongly recommend this book to all so that they would learn to honor veterans and military personnels. I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
I like that the book contains elements of humor. It's needed to balance out in such a book that will undoubtedly contain some gruesome scenes. I hope it was tastefully integrated though.
Yes. The author was apt with humor.
That makes me want to read the book more
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I just added this book to do my next review so I can't give an opinion, but the reviews above make me believe I will enjoy it. I grew up in the 60s and many of my friends served in Vietnam. I've seen the trauma that has stuck with many vetsall these years, maybe this reading will help me to understand more. I'll start it in the morning.

Wendi
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

Deadly waters, I had not heard of it until this month. Congratulations Randy Miller. Thank you online book club for bringing so many great books to my attention.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

to djr6090,
I understand that you were upset by this story. Even though I liked History in general as a subject in school, there are some events that are hard to think about, read about, or hear more about in different contexts. I reviewed the book 'A Police Action' which showed the Vietnam war from a solider's perspective. He called it war; didn't understand how the American government could just call it 'A Police Action'. I've gotten the impression from other sources that America was divided about that war. But how exactly was the Vietnam war different from the Korean War? We were fighting the communists in both wars, weren't we? You don't have to answer that one; it's just a lingering question I have about those two wars.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I can't get into books about war, so I will not be reading this one.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

djr6090 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 12:54 I just started to read the book. For anyone interested, it was 44 years ago today that the last US combat forces were withdrawn from South Vietnam. According to the Voice of America, we left 7200 civilians of the Dept of Defense behind as advisers. The fighting continued for more than a year after. I'm glad that writers like Miller commit this era of history so accurately to the body of popular historical fiction.
Not many authors commit to this era so im exited to read more about it.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I loved this book. My favourite part was the way, the author explained the war in such detailing. Those pains, passion, and how emotions have been projected in this book are amazing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciated the author's brutal honesty about the treatment of our Navy veterans. Some sections were difficult to read, but knowing the truth helps us understand and defend the people who fought to preserve our freedom. I wish books like this were required reading for high school or beginning college history classes. Thank you, Mr. Miller, for your wonderful book!
Shaylee valenzuela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shaylee valenzuela »

All I can say is wow this book is great I love it I would consider even reading it again. I love how it talks about are veterans not being treated how they should be
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I have not yet read this book, but I am seeing a lot of good reviews for it. I generally don't like to read books about war, but it sounds like the author does an excellent job writing about it. I would give it a try based on all the positive reviews.
Mac :techie-reference:
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I haven't read this book yet but from the reviews and the recommendations I definitely must read it.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”