Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I think the historical aspect of this book is very important. Even thought this was a controversial war, it still happened. Young men were drafted to fight for their country and should be taken care of in their old days and recognized for their sacrifice.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

I think the author’s writing style deserves praise; he really does draw in the reader. Given the circumstances, he still manages to inject some humor into the story, which I found refreshing.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

Not being from America myself, this story does not hit as close to home for me as intended by the author, but I still felt an emotional connection with the characters. It is appalling how the government does not recognize these heroes for what they are.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

In the beginning, I found this book boring and cumbersome to read but as I progressed, I got drawn to the story. The vivid description of details made the book relatable; it gave readers a first-hand account of the Vietnam war. I liked the way the author blended war, love stories and humor. I also liked the straightforwardness of the book's tone. I will surely recommend it to friends. I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I have not read this book yet , but after I read some of the comments, I got interested in reading it.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:43 I loved this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I liked how the author tackled the adversities and horros of war, and also how veterans may not be treated like the heroes they are. The part I liked least about this book was the detailed description of what war entailed. I would definitely recommend this book to others in order to ensure such an issue of denying pension to veterans is boycotted by many.
I will definitely read the book. This is such an important issue that needs to be discussed by everyone.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

My overall opinion of this book is that it is a book that everyone interested in the past should read because it has many lessons for today. What I like the most about the book is Zacharia Martin's courage to go to war at his tender age. There is nothing I like least about the book. I will definitely recommend it to others because of its historical nature. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a book that is well written and very well edited.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I gave this one 3 our of 4 stars, but only because of the abundance of errors. I liked the mix of action, romance, and drama. I also really enjoyed reading the statistics when it came to the Agent Orange spread (unnecessarily) over the battlefield. This really put things into perspective for me. I always heard that my grandfather died as a result of Agent Orange exposure, so this story really hit home for me.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Jbcitygirl wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 23:18 Not being from America myself, this story does not hit as close to home for me as intended by the author, but I still felt an emotional connection with the characters. It is appalling how the government does not recognize these heroes for what they are.
I agree the American government has it's flaws, to say the least. Where are you from?
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

fmd1821 wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 04:31 Usually, I do not read books about war, but this one blends together so many elements and the story is so well-written that it was a pleasure to read. I give it 4 out of 4 stars - and I think I will read it again soon.
Thank you.
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

jeminah28 wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 20:25 I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because the author did a great job in rewriting the history of the Vietnam Veterans' circumstances. I don't even know about Agent Orange and its aftermath without reading this book. I'm glad the author wrote this book on behalf of his colleagues.
Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful insight.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

randy6175 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 04:26
jeminah28 wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 20:25 I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because the author did a great job in rewriting the history of the Vietnam Veterans' circumstances. I don't even know about Agent Orange and its aftermath without reading this book. I'm glad the author wrote this book on behalf of his colleagues.
Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful insight.
You're welcome. :tiphat:
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Rasec15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Rasec15 »

I admit I had no real expectations when starting this book, “Deadly Waters” seeing as how I’d never read the author before and the description felt kind of ‘wide-ranging’ to me. Wondered if he would pull it off, and I truly believe he did! I was so immersed in this book and impressed with the level of detailing on almost every single aspect. A lesser author would have rushed over some of these scenes that Randy Miller carefully and masterfully brought to life in a memorable way. And the characters… oh wow! Loved them all (well, not all). Like that they were real and flawed and extremely authentic-feeling, even how they spoke (but not how we read it, that was annoying) - like I got a great dose of historical reality and some culture that is very different from my own and also learned things I didn’t know, especially of the vetrans treatment after they returned home and got sick. Very easy to read – style -wise for the most part (some content is disturbing, but manageable, and some conversations were jarring) but with great pacing and a powerful, moving ending. No gaps or plot holes or unanswered questions. This isn’t a ‘long’ book but it is very dense and detailed, so be prepared to spend some time but in my mind it’s highly worth it. Recommend.
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

Deadly Waters was a real break from the norm for me as I am not a war book fan in general, but having seen it was BOTM in November and read some reviews I decided to try it. I was not disppointed! The lack of responsibility and care shown to soldiers exposed to Agent Orange during the Vietnam War was brilliantly depicted and very revealing and moving to read about. I would recommend it to anyone.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:43 I loved this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I liked how the author tackled the adversities and horros of war, and also how veterans may not be treated like the heroes they are. The part I liked least about this book was the detailed description of what war entailed. I would definitely recommend this book to others in order to ensure such an issue of denying pension to veterans is boycotted by many.
Yes, I must agree with you that veterans get their pensions. Sadly I never liked reading about the horrors of war so ill pass on this one.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”