Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

My favorite part of the book was reading through the long rivalry between jarheads and squids was presented. I had heard about this rivalry, but the author made me experience it through the book. My least favorite part of the story was the horrors of war and the conspiracy aimed at denying veterans their pensions.
What was your favorite and least favorite part of the story?
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Just done the review and so I dont want to be judgemental, I want to first read the book before I come back to this question.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:40 My favorite part of the book was reading through the long rivalry between jarheads and squids was presented. I had heard about this rivalry, but the author made me experience it through the book. My least favorite part of the story was the horrors of war and the conspiracy aimed at denying veterans their pensions.
What was your favorite and least favorite part of the story?
I liked the wedding. So simple, loving, and carefree. I didn't like the way the Vets were treated by the public or the government when they came home.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I liked that the author could show the action on board the Navy vessels without using profanity. As I recall, the language of the day was sprinkled liberally with vulgarities. The interaction and the accents animated the actors. I also liked that he showed the perspective of the enemy occasionally. But I disliked the scene where Zach watched the village being incinerated by Naval bombardment. But my least favorite part were in the parts of the book where we are reminded of the extent of the American chemical warfare against the Vietnamese.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Having lived during the time of the Viet Nam War sometimes it is hard for me to separate actual facts from the book! I saw Viet Nam vets come home, many of them broken in body and spirit. I can say my least favorite part of the book was the way the characters were treated by the VA - it was a reality for those I knew and cared about that had served this country during such a terrible time. I know my ex-husband and his brother would not go to the VA for healthcare in later years because they were not treated right during their military terms. I also remember seeing homeless Viet Nam vets riding around our little town in Ohio in wheelchairs with American flags on their chairs and most people would walk past them without even nodding their heads or smiling at them! They were homeless because they were denied their benefits even though they were in wheelchairs due to being injured in the war. Yes, the way the VA treated them in the book was definitely my least favorite part!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

B Creech wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 13:36 Having lived during the time of the Viet Nam War sometimes it is hard for me to separate actual facts from the book! I saw Viet Nam vets come home, many of them broken in body and spirit. I can say my least favorite part of the book was the way the characters were treated by the VA - it was a reality for those I knew and cared about that had served this country during such a terrible time. I know my ex-husband and his brother would not go to the VA for healthcare in later years because they were not treated right during their military terms. I also remember seeing homeless Viet Nam vets riding around our little town in Ohio in wheelchairs with American flags on their chairs and most people would walk past them without even nodding their heads or smiling at them! They were homeless because they were denied their benefits even though they were in wheelchairs due to being injured in the war. Yes, the way the VA treated them in the book was definitely my least favorite part!

This reading must have been a very emotional experience for you. But remembering that this is not a fictional account but a very real one that affected so many real people is what makes me want to continue reading.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Lunastella wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 20:34
B Creech wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 13:36 Having lived during the time of the Viet Nam War sometimes it is hard for me to separate actual facts from the book! I saw Viet Nam vets come home, many of them broken in body and spirit. I can say my least favorite part of the book was the way the characters were treated by the VA - it was a reality for those I knew and cared about that had served this country during such a terrible time. I know my ex-husband and his brother would not go to the VA for healthcare in later years because they were not treated right during their military terms. I also remember seeing homeless Viet Nam vets riding around our little town in Ohio in wheelchairs with American flags on their chairs and most people would walk past them without even nodding their heads or smiling at them! They were homeless because they were denied their benefits even though they were in wheelchairs due to being injured in the war. Yes, the way the VA treated them in the book was definitely my least favorite part!t

This reading must have been a very emotional experience for you. But remembering that this is not a fictional account but a very real one that affected so many real people is what makes me want to continue reading.
It was an emotional read for me. It brought back a lot of memories. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

djr6090 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 08:40 I liked that the author could show the action onboard the Navy vessels without using profanity. As I recall, the language of the day was sprinkled liberally with vulgarities. The interaction and the accents animated the actors. I also liked that he showed the perspective of the enemy occasionally. But I disliked the scene where Zach watched the village being incinerated by Naval bombardment. But my least favorite part was in the parts of the book where we are reminded of the extent of the American chemical warfare against the Vietnamese.
I noticed that when Zach first got on the Hawke there was some salty language. Fortunately, the author must have felt that one example of that was enough!! I loved the way he was able to spell out the accents of the various players. My least favorite part was the aftermath. I remember some of that. Public opinion was against anyone who had worn a uniform, whether they served in 'Nam or not.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

DC Brown wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 02:20
djr6090 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 08:40 I liked that
My least favorite part was the aftermath. I remember some of that. Public opinion was against anyone who had worn a uniform, whether they served in 'Nam or not.
Not all protesters were like the radical who called Zach a "baby killer." But there is no doubt the troops did not get a hero's welcome.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

My favourite and least favourite part were the same thing- how gut wrenching it was! It shows great writing but it was very heart breaking
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

My favorite aspect was the author's explanation of various naval terms. Terms like NCO's, EOT, and CIC, among others, made learn more about navy and how it works. My least favorite part was unconventional omission of commas where I thought they would me more appropriate. That, however, is a matter of a reader's taste and preference.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Melissa Breen wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 16:52 My favourite and least favourite part were the same thing- how gut wrenching it was! It shows great writing but it was very heart breaking
A bittersweet situation, no?
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Favorite parts in the book were the depictions of war in the book. I really enjoyed most of the parts in the book.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I enjoyed the interactions between the characters. Reading about the suffering of the civilians caught in the crossfire between the U.S. forces and the Viet Cong was painful, but I can't say that it was a "least favorite" part of the book because I think it is absolutely necessary for people to know the horrors of war. Perhaps if more people read books like this one, fewer would be quite so gung-ho about getting involved in wars.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Although the author got all the chances, and despite all the opportunities that presented themselves for a profane scene, the author professionally dodged the scenes and presented his writings in a manner which can be enjoyed by individuals of all ages. That's what I liked most!
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”