Your thoughts on the real antagonists in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Your thoughts on the real antagonists in the story?

Post by spencermack »

Veterans go through a tremendous amount for our freedom, it's sad they don't get treated like the heroes they are back at home.
Spencer Mack
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Juliet+1 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 18:04 The VA has been completely redone since the Vietnam years, and I think it's largely because of what those veterans went through. It should never have happened. Finally the public caught on, the VA budget and services were greatly expanded, and things got better. There's still lots of room for improvement, though.
This is exactly right. There has been immense changes in the VA system since the 70's and one has to think of the massive logistical situation that had to have occurred for such a rapid influx, then subsequent "outflux" of soldiers which had likely been unprecedented since the second world war. This isn't meaning to defend VA actions by any means, but rather ground one's expectations.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:57 The Veterans Affairs department were presented as a heartless organisation that went out of its way to pass laws that may deny veterans their pensions. I particularly hated them in this book and found them to be worse than the act of war itself. To send men to die for them in a war, and then to deny pensions to those same brave men and women was truly evil.
What are your thoughts on the Veterans Affairs department, and their role in this book?
I hated them just like you, but I honestly think, most departments, especially government owned, abuse their powers. This department is just one out of many.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I live in a place where we don't have the military department or any veteran policies. So I'm not familiar with the VA thing. But I'd read history books where people who served in war, came back, and had to face up to the downfall of the economy and a thankless government. It's really terrible how these things happen.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

There maybe reasons behind that. If it is valid, we don't know. But most of it's decisions is political, including benefits for the veterans. System must change.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I think we all hated the treatment of veterans. The fact that someone dedicated their life to war and then is denied of a little compensation to spend the rest of his life in peace is what makes me agitated
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:57 The Veterans Affairs department were presented as a heartless organisation that went out of its way to pass laws that may deny veterans their pensions. I particularly hated them in this book and found them to be worse than the act of war itself. To send men to die for them in a war, and then to deny pensions to those same brave men and women was truly evil.
What are your thoughts on the Veterans Affairs department, and their role in this book?
This is what has been happening for ages. No wonder military sometimes turn to fight the government that used and dumped them. Then the wicked government will tag them 'terrorists'. That's what they get after serving their country. Too bad.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It is such a shame that men and women who fought for our country should have to go through what they had to when they came back home. I'm glad the VA has changed since it was definitely needed.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

That portion of the book made me sick to my stomach. After all the pain Zach went through, he held on with the hope that he would die and leave survivor benefits for Tally, but when those were denied he lost all hope. I’m glad things have changed with the way the VA is run, but that corruption during Vietnam was inexcusable. Those men served and sacrificed and were left with nothing.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Like many bureaucratic organizations, the V.A. cares nothing about the people it is supposed to assist and only about the numbers. Their maltreatment of and failure to assist veterans is criminal negligence.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I have not yet read this book, so I can only talk about the VA based upon my own knowledge. I think the VA has done some truly awful things for our society and Veterans. I also know some people who have benefited greatly from the medical (my cousins) and the temporary housing (my friends). Above all, I think the bureaucracy of the VA sucks (to put it mildly), but the employees and volunteers associated with it, genuinely care.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 08:47 That portion of the book made me sick to my stomach. After all the pain Zach went through, he held on with the hope that he would die and leave survivor benefits for Tally, but when those were denied he lost all hope. I’m glad things have changed with the way the VA is run, but that corruption during Vietnam was inexcusable. Those men served and sacrificed and were left with nothing.
I agree with you. I am excited to read it, but when I came across the aftermath of war, I am devastated. I thought, the real enemy was the Communist, and they won the battle. However, the aftermath of the war for the veterans are not well-treated. It seems that justice denied.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Inkroverts wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 20:54 I live in a place where we don't have the military department or any veteran policies. So I'm not familiar with the VA thing. But I'd read history books where people who served in war, came back, and had to face up to the downfall of the economy and a thankless government. It's really terrible how these things happen.
I'm glad that you live in a peaceful country. However, I am sad when I read this book because through this novel I am aware about the VA thing as you noticed. As far as I know, Americans are helpful to the Veterans, but I am stunned that a story like this existed.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

But what about the Marine who set the whole thing rolling, or at least pushed it along?
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

B Creech wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:50 I had two uncles and a brother-in-law serve in Viet Nam. One of my uncles did two tours of duty in Nam and was exposed to agent orange. When he came home he didn't initially get any benefits from the military at all. He had to battle the system for several years before he finally received his VA benefits! It is a shame on our government to deny ANYONE who serves this country their benefits when they come home. It still angered me to read about how these heroes were treated in the book. This may be a book of fiction but what happened to these guys is a reality for most military heros!
I totally agree with you, this happens even in real life right know. I know people who are going through the same currently, militaries who have been affected by wars but no pentions assigned to them

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”