Your thoughts on the real antagonists in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Your thoughts on the real antagonists in the story?

Post by wordslinger42 »

I was pretty disgusted with how they treated the vets. I found myself wondering how much good they could have done if they had put as much effort into actually helping vets as they did on trying to find loopholes.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Zeix wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 23:29
B Creech wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:50 I had two uncles and a brother-in-law serve in Viet Nam. One of my uncles did two tours of duty in Nam and was exposed to agent orange. When he came home he didn't initially get any benefits from the military at all. He had to battle the system for several years before he finally received his VA benefits! It is a shame on our government to deny ANYONE who serves this country their benefits when they come home. It still angered me to read about how these heroes were treated in the book. This may be a book of fiction but what happened to these guys is a reality for most military heros!
I totally agree with you, this happens even in real life right know. I know people who are going through the same currently, militaries who have been affected by wars but no pentions assigned to them
It is really sad how our military men and women are treated after they risk their lives for our country. They should be treated like kings and queens when they come home!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

The bureaucrats in the VA who deliberately withheld services not because of policy but because of personal rancor should be punished for killing members of the military. They are as guilty as terrorists and the Viet Cong.

What an assinine rule that military personnel should wait months to be seen at a VA hospital and cannot go to hospital available to the public. Someone should be held accountable for that.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I agree with you on them being worse than the act of war. They send these men and women to fight for their country just for them to get shown how little their country cares for them when it comes to a money standpoint.
Chelsea N. Hackett
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

The VA is, admittedly, still not great, but it is at least better than in the book. Poor treatment of our veterans is shameful - including their medical benefits and ease of access to these benefits, but also unemployment and homelessness rates. We're going the right way but still have a long way to go.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

The theme is war and I think war brings real heroes. It is amazing how war is described.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Katherine Smith wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 13:06 I think that the Veterans Affairs department needs to be completely redone to meets the needs of our soldiers coming home. As a country, our priorities are getting men and women ready for combat. We focus so intently on fighting that we don't put any time or effort into helping them into civilian life. I think that this was perfectly illustrated during the Vietnam War and the way that these veterans were left behind to fend for themselves.
I completely agree, and it's an inexcusable disregard that the VA cannot defend. They become more concerned with cost-cutting maneuvers and unfairly worded guidelines, so much so, that all these soldiers wind up suffering alone on a massive scale. As a psychiatrist, I have worked alongside providers at the VA, as a former military spouse, I have dealt with them as a civilian. And the entire organization is flawed beyond measure, despite their goodwill mission statements.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Abacus wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 16:00 The bureaucrats in the VA who deliberately withheld services not because of policy but because of personal rancor should be punished for killing members of the military. They are as guilty as terrorists and the Viet Cong.

What an assinine rule that military personnel should wait months to be seen at a VA hospital and cannot go to hospital available to the public. Someone should be held accountable for that.
I recently read an article in one of the Psychiatric Journal publications I receive as a physician, and a former mental health provider for the VA flat out stated that she thinks the issue with increasing rates of veteran suicides (in her opinion) stems not from their experiences at home or abroad, but simply due to their easy access to firearms. I was in disbelief.
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

vermontelf wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:51 I have not yet read this book, so I can only talk about the VA based upon my own knowledge. I think the VA has done some truly awful things for our society and Veterans. I also know some people who have benefited greatly from the medical (my cousins) and the temporary housing (my friends). Above all, I think the bureaucracy of the VA sucks (to put it mildly), but the employees and volunteers associated with it, genuinely care.
I agree. The clinicians do care and do good works, but beware the bean counters that have the power to hobble them.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

In my opinion, I think the Veterans Affairs department as presented in the novel were inhuman and I regard them as real antagonists in the story. How could they pass laws that would deny soldiers their pension after the war? That was inhuman of them.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

My least favorite character was Lance Corporal Marvin Boudreau. He was the "jarhead" who harassed Zack and his comrades, and then got what he deserved later on. Unfortunately for him, his massive beating left him incapable of further service in the military. That is, until he was offered the job in Washington. I thought it was extremely petty that he went on to convince his fellow officials to brush the Agent Orange scandal under the rug, and continue denying Blue Water veterans their pensions, while knowing full well that they were in brown water just as much. He felt he was gaining revenge so many years later by doing this and that really stuck with me. I just could not stand him.
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

VTEC lar it wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 03:43 At first, I thought the real antagonist of the story was the Veteran affairs department. Clearly, the injustices they serve these honorable veterans are unthinkable.

However, on a closer look, I think the real antagonist here is not even human. Sometimes we get so caught up in post-war politics. I think we have to realize that the real antagonist isn't the enemy or the Veteran Affairs department despite the wrongs committed by them.

The real antagonist, in my opinion is, war itself.

Do you agree?
Nope. I see that as a cop out.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Man, it is chilling to see these brave people risking their life for their country and being so mistreated once they get home. It is shameful and no society should allow it.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I can't agree less, the Veteran's Affairs Department was cruel. Such acts demonstrated by the veterans show stoic patriotism which is no joke. It shouldn't only be appreciated by mere words but with quality action.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

vermontelf wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:51 I have not yet read this book, so I can only talk about the VA based upon my own knowledge. I think the VA has done some truly awful things for our society and Veterans. I also know some people who have benefited greatly from the medical (my cousins) and the temporary housing (my friends). Above all, I think the bureaucracy of the VA sucks (to put it mildly), but the employees and volunteers associated with it, genuinely care.
Thank you for that, V. Reading this book, people may be tempted to ignore the many volunteers who try to make life tolerable for our war wounded.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”