Your thoughts on the real antagonists in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Re: Your thoughts on the real antagonists in the story?

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

They must give pension to the war solider. They fought for their country and during this they got many serious illness and disease. They are unable to go to other profession. So, a pension is must so that they can live their remaining life happily. If the soldiers were sincear toward their country, then the country must be sincear toward them.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Karina Nowak wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:38 The Vietnam War may be in the past but it serves as a great example for these countries to learn from on how to treat their soldiers once they've given their all to 'God and country'.
I agree. Sometimes the importance of reading these accounts, even if they're events of the past, is to remember that these things happened and to understand how and why so that we don't allow our societies to commit the same atrocities. Even if you're not American, as is my case, we should all learn from this and how it relates to current social problems.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I definitely thought that the Veterans Affairs Department were the antagonists of the story. The way they denied pensions to veterans was so cruel. I’m glad that this book might bring more attention to this very serious issue. Veterans sacrifice so much and need to be given all the benefits that are available to them.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Men are selfish and corrupt by nature. I have seen the same people complaining about an institution, but once appointed in office they end up doing the same things. So few will actually put others before themselves.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 18:14 I don't know anyone in the military, but I've still heard about people having trouble with the VA. It's sickening that people who risked their lives for our country aren't being taken care of.
I completely agree! We should honor our veterans and take care of them. They fought for our country, they deserve proper treatment. Hopefully, this book will shed some light on the problems that we continue to have with VA.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:57 The Veterans Affairs department were presented as a heartless organisation that went out of its way to pass laws that may deny veterans their pensions. I particularly hated them in this book and found them to be worse than the act of war itself. To send men to die for them in a war, and then to deny pensions to those same brave men and women was truly evil.
What are your thoughts on the Veterans Affairs department, and their role in this book?
I agree with you. It is such an inhumane thing to do. Sending innocent people to war in the name of patriotism but what about taking care of those who serve the nation? Where did their patriotism disappear?
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I have read stories of war veterans becoming homeless after their return as a result of the system not paying their benefits. Withholding benefits from veterans who put their lives on the line for their country is the height of callousness.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

DC Brown wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 22:45 My late father-in-law fought in Korea. I was not impressed with the care he got before he died. This book brings out not only the horror of war but also the horror of the aftermath.
I haven't completed the novel yet, but I can really appreciate that story doesn't romanticize the idea of working in the US military. The treatment Vietnam war veterans have faced is truly appalling.
It's pretty insane that the real antagonist in this story comes from the same country the main character is fighting for.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

I agree with you. It is sad that a person put their life on danger for a country and then later denied their pension.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I have heard before how it gets really difficult for veterans to get benefits from the military. They do not end up getting the kind of care they deserve. Though this book talks about something that happened in America, there is so much people from any geography can learn from it and see how the learning can be applied to understanding or solving today’s global issues.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:24 My husband is 70 years old, and has chronic mylogenous leukemia. I believe it is the result of standing night watch on board the USS Hector in Vung Tao harbor, where he was drenched with agent orange as the planes defoliated the harbor islands every night.

He can not even get the the VA to provide the medication he is prescribed for this blood cancer. It is not on their formulary. Only an older, less effective drug.

He spent over a month in-country, and when we tried to get help for the extreme cost of his medical treatment, he was denied because he could not PROVE that he had boots-on-the-ground. And his leukemia was not the type associated with agent orange disabilities. Other types were listed in the mid 70s, but at that time CML killed quickly, so it was not listed as long term.

Maybe Mr Miller's book will help raise consciousness. This is not just fiction. Real lives were and are being impacted.
Hoping for a lot of people will read this book and will fight their rights.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
VTEC lar it
Favorite Book: A Thousand Seeds of Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vtec-lar-it.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by VTEC lar it »

At first, I thought the real antagonist of the story was the Veteran affairs department. Clearly, the injustices they serve these honorable veterans are unthinkable.

However, on a closer look, I think the real antagonist here is not even human. Sometimes we get so caught up in post-war politics. I think we have to realize that the real antagonist isn't the enemy or the Veteran Affairs department despite the wrongs committed by them.

The real antagonist, in my opinion is, war itself.

Do you agree?
Neha++
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Neha++ »

It enraged me after knowing the treatment they gave to the people who served their country honestly.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

jeminah28 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 00:11
djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:24 My husband is 70 years old, and has chronic mylogenous leukemia. I believe it is the result of standing night watch on board the USS Hector in Vung Tao harbor, where he was drenched with agent orange as the planes defoliated the harbor islands every night.

He can not even get the the VA to provide the medication he is prescribed for this blood cancer. It is not on their formulary. Only an older, less effective drug.

He spent over a month in-country, and when we tried to get help for the extreme cost of his medical treatment, he was denied because he could not PROVE that he had boots-on-the-ground. And his leukemia was not the type associated with agent orange disabilities. Other types were listed in the mid 70s, but at that time CML killed quickly, so it was not listed as long term.

Maybe Mr Miller's book will help raise consciousness. This is not just fiction. Real lives were and are being impacted.
Hoping for a lot of people will read this book and will fight their rights.
So do I. Thanks, Jeminah.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

VTEC lar it wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 03:43 At first, I thought the real antagonist of the story was the Veteran affairs department. Clearly, the injustices they serve these honorable veterans are unthinkable.

However, on a closer look, I think the real antagonist here is not even human. Sometimes we get so caught up in post-war politics. I think we have to realize that the real antagonist isn't the enemy or the Veteran Affairs department despite the wrongs committed by them.

The real antagonist, in my opinion is, war itself.

Do you agree?
A very deep thought, VTEC. It is hard to imagine a world without war. There are just so many power hungry ruler types out there. But the US made one step in the right direction. They ended the draft. If there had been no draft during the Vietnam war, I don't think the country would have been able to send troops over there. No troops, no war. The enlistees certainly did not fight for the pay or benefits!

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”