What makes Zachariah Martin a likeable protagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Re: What makes Zachariah Martin a likeable protagonist?

Post by Erin Dydek »

I liked Zach’s willingness to take a stand for what he believed in, his fiery spirit when he won slapsies with the captain and threw the rock at the milkshake people. I loved his determination to prove himself as a gunner and his change in demeanor after realizing that the guns were killing innocent civilians just trying to live their lives. His transition back to farm life made me admire him for his hardworking and humble nature and I was distraught about his deteriorating condition. Especially when he felt so helpless and unable to support Tally.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Overall Zachariah is a stand up guy. He is loyal, brave and determined to do what is right. I don’t think I could list all of the actions that made him likeable because there are just too many.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 15:46 I like watching him mature. He starts out kind of timid and naive, and ends up being the mouse who roared. He was definitely a memorably character.
100% agreed!! After following his personal growth so closely, one can't help but become invested in his story and root for him.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I love that Zack's sense of duty remained constant. But I also love that he went into the war thinking one way and came out thinking another way. Yet he is nowhere near perfect and knows this. He is simple yet intuitive. He is extremely accepting of others and intelligent.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 09:01 I liked Zach’s willingness to take a stand for what he believed in, his fiery spirit when he won slapsies with the captain and threw the rock at the milkshake people. I loved his determination to prove himself as a gunner and his change in demeanor after realizing that the guns were killing innocent civilians just trying to live their lives. His transition back to farm life made me admire him for his hardworking and humble nature and I was distraught about his deteriorating condition. Especially when he felt so helpless and unable to support Tally.
He all wanted to serve the best for his country, family and especially to Tally. His character is not far from real events. A man usually think of what are the best things for his family. Sometimes, unpredictable circumstances made them useless and hopeless.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

He is hard-working funny and down to earth. He is forthcoming about all sides, not just the good or bad of one particular side.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Beckas79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beckas79.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Beckas79 »

Zach is likeable because he has integrity. He is whole and undivided in his determination to return home to Tally and to his farm. He works hard, both on the farm and on the ship and does what is asked of him. He doesn't whine. He knows his own mind. He's the kind of person you'd like to have as a friend, because you'd know you could always trust him. :)
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I think it was his humility. He didn't use his time in the service as a reason to puff himself up and act like he was better than everyone else. Instead, he had this humble willingness to serve his friends, family, country, etc., and that was really beautiful to see. I think it helped readers feel ever more invested in his story and gave them a stronger desire to keep rooting for him right up to the last page.
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

Beckas79 wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 13:49 Zach is likeable because he has integrity. He is whole and undivided in his determination to return home to Tally and to his farm. He works hard, both on the farm and on the ship and does what is asked of him. He doesn't whine. He knows his own mind. He's the kind of person you'd like to have as a friend, because you'd know you could always trust him. :)
I mentioned his humility, but I also agree with you that his integrity made him likeable and memorable! He had such a great devotion to family, friends, and country, and it just made you want to see him succeed throughout the whole book!
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

jeminah28 wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 19:50
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 09:01 I liked Zach’s willingness to take a stand for what he believed in, his fiery spirit when he won slapsies with the captain and threw the rock at the milkshake people. I loved his determination to prove himself as a gunner and his change in demeanor after realizing that the guns were killing innocent civilians just trying to live their lives. His transition back to farm life made me admire him for his hardworking and humble nature and I was distraught about his deteriorating condition. Especially when he felt so helpless and unable to support Tally.
He all wanted to serve the best for his country, family and especially to Tally. His character is not far from real events. A man usually think of what are the best things for his family. Sometimes, unpredictable circumstances made them useless and hopeless.
I really admired his devotion to helping others and his humility. I think he's one of the most selfless characters I've encountered in a book!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

He was honorable.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

wordslinger42 wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 13:58
jeminah28 wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 19:50
I really admired his devotion to helping others and his humility. I think he's one of the most selfless characters I've encountered in a book!
He is one of a kind. He knows when to calm down and blow an enemy's face. :lol: :lol:
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I liked Zach's integrity and faithfulness to Tally. In the very beginning when he plays 'slapsies' and wins against chief McCoy he has me rooting for him.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I felt that his loyalty to Tally was very admirable. I also liked that he stood up to the government in order to ensure that Tally was well taken care of after his sickness took hold.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Beckas79 wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 13:49 Zach is likeable because he has integrity. He is whole and undivided in his determination to return home to Tally and to his farm. He works hard, both on the farm and on the ship and does what is asked of him. He doesn't whine. He knows his own mind. He's the kind of person you'd like to have as a friend, because you'd know you could always trust him. :)
I really liked that he didn't complain when orders were given to him, as some of his shipmates did. That was refreshing. The last thing I would want to see is him whining about the work he signed on for.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”