Naval Stories

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Naval Stories

Post by Howlan »

One of the things that fascinate me are war stories and the bonds that grow among soldiers. In Deadly Waters, right from the beginning we get a whole lot of colorful characters - the Chief, Captain Foley, Quigly, Palmer and the rest. What is your favorite moment ?

Also we get plenty of great stories from these men. Like the one when we get to know how Ensign Wells fears the Chief. What is your favourite ?

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Venetian Crucible by Andy Burtis

Post by djr6090 »

So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.

DC Brown
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: Rome through my eyes by Xaver Seifert

Post by DC Brown »

Howlan wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 09:04
One of the things that fascinate me are war stories and the bonds that grow among soldiers. In Deadly Waters, right from the beginning we get a whole lot of colorful characters - the Chief, Captain Foley, Quigly, Palmer and the rest. What is your favorite moment ?

Also we get plenty of great stories from these men. Like the one when we get to know how Ensign Wells fears the Chief. What is your favourite ?
I'm still reading this book. So far, my favorite parts are in Vermont. This book is like opening the gates to Dachau and seeing what really was happening.

jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeminah28 »

The slap game. I thought it was a joke at first, but Zack did his best. I wonder how young men sacrifice their life way back on the times of the events in the book and treated 'harshly', something like that.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Hester3
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 508
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Hester3 »

I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

djr6090 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 11:00
So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.
I love this story. How cute and clever of those kids. I’m going to guess it was desperate times, but I still think it’s a cute little act.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by shravsi »

Hester3 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:11
I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.
So true :)
Military brings such unity among people

La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I'm still at the start but I like the bonding between Zach and Eastman so far.

Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wamakima »

djr6090 wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 11:00
:D These kids were really clever. And adorable.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Hester3 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 14:11
I agree with you, the military is a great equalizer. When you are wearing the same uniform and fighting on the same side of the war then your choices on who to befriend are very limited.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

Browlyns
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I have not read the book yet but from other sailors novel, there is always great adventure and action. I don't think this book is any different.

ciecheesemeister
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Mr Tortoise and Mr Serpent
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: The Silence of Ray by Karen Fletcher
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I got a kick out of the scenes with McCoy. He is a really colorful character with the profane names that he comes up with to call the recruits.

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Venetian Crucible by Andy Burtis

Post by djr6090 »

ciecheesemeister wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 15:41
I got a kick out of the scenes with McCoy. He is a really colorful character with the profane names that he comes up with to call the recruits.
Yes, he was salty, wasn't he? He made a science out of berating his swabbies, and they seemed to live him for it.

jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeminah28 »

"Be a Navy, and see the world." The Naval motto, which catches the eye of young men, a sacrificial journey for the sake of the country.
Zach had recently graduated in college and entered Navy, he did his job well as he was told. He is an outstanding seaman apprentice.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I love the discipline the junior officers always have for their seniors. But i also don't like being given unquestionable instructions, maybe that explains why I'm not in the military 😊
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”