Naval Stories

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Re: Naval Stories

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Hester3 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:11 I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.
Spot on.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am yet to finish reading this book, but the one scene that stands out in my mind is the voyage to Olongapo, crossing the unfortunately named River. There are a number of other scenes too that I could better talk about once I am done reading.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

If you enjoyed this book, you may enjoy "In Harm's Way" by Douglas Stanton - It tells the true story of the USS Indianapolis sinking and how the men on the ship survived... It's pretty intense but in the best way!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:00 So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.
Wow! Sounds interesting and smart. And dirty. LOL.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

My favorite part is the slapsies game.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I liked the different dynamics between the crew of the Hawks and the crew of the Providence. Zach had two different experiences between the destroyer and the cruiser although there were some similarities that made it easier for him to transition.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I have not read the book yet. But from other war novels there is action, deceit and also bonding. And I like the bonding between the soldiers a lot .
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Nym182 wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:37 If you enjoyed this book, you may enjoy "In Harm's Way" by Douglas Stanton - It tells the true story of the USS Indianapolis sinking and how the men on the ship survived... It's pretty intense but in the best way!
Thanks for the recommendation, Nym. I'll put it on my bookshelves.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I liked the bond between Martin and Eastman. Eastman's induction to Martin and the more-than-work relationship that developed between the two naval soldiers.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

jeminah28 wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 02:00 The slap game. I thought it was a joke at first, but Zack did his best. I wonder how young men sacrifice their life way back on the times of the events in the book and treated 'harshly', something like that.
I too wonder how men sacrifice their lives despite the fact that they are treated harshly.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

aolayide wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 13:20
jeminah28 wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 02:00 The slap game. I thought it was a joke at first, but Zack did his best. I wonder how young men sacrifice their life way back on the times of the events in the book and treated 'harshly', something like that.
I too wonder how men sacrifice their lives despite the fact that they are treated harshly.
Maybe the captivating motto of the Naval recruiter hook them, 'Be a Navy and See the World.' In 1960s to 1970s, those days young men were eager to travel despite of hardships. I guess, they just did it for a dual purpose, they have privilege to travel at the same time trying to win the war.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Hester3 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:11 I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.
You make an excellent point about how the members of any military unit start out by simply being a collection of last names in close vicinity. Basic training is firmly rooted in the principles of breaking everyone down in initiation, giving the powers-at-be full control of how each soldier, cadet, or seaman is built back up. A great equalizer it certainly is.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Fazzier wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 03:32 I liked the bond between Martin and Eastman. Eastman's induction to Martin and the more-than-work relationship that developed between the two naval soldiers.
It seems that friendship bonds them for a lifetime. They can relate to their struggles, likes and jobs, in a sense that they don't like to be separated, but they must continue to have their own lives.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:00 So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.
Wow, that's some pretty cool insight. Of course, I usually think of nets as tools for fishing. And as such, I generally imagine them as too large to hold coins, but I guess nets for small fish would do the trick. Naturally, I wonder how the children came up with the strategy.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

This sounds hilarious :lol:

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”