Naval Stories

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Naval Stories

Post by Howlan »

One of the things that fascinate me are war stories and the bonds that grow among soldiers. In Deadly Waters, right from the beginning we get a whole lot of colorful characters - the Chief, Captain Foley, Quigly, Palmer and the rest. What is your favorite moment ?

Also we get plenty of great stories from these men. Like the one when we get to know how Ensign Wells fears the Chief. What is your favourite ?
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 09:04 One of the things that fascinate me are war stories and the bonds that grow among soldiers. In Deadly Waters, right from the beginning we get a whole lot of colorful characters - the Chief, Captain Foley, Quigly, Palmer and the rest. What is your favorite moment ?

Also we get plenty of great stories from these men. Like the one when we get to know how Ensign Wells fears the Chief. What is your favourite ?
I'm still reading this book. So far, my favorite parts are in Vermont. This book is like opening the gates to Dachau and seeing what really was happening.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

The slap game. I thought it was a joke at first, but Zack did his best. I wonder how young men sacrifice their life way back on the times of the events in the book and treated 'harshly', something like that.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:00 So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.
I love this story. How cute and clever of those kids. I’m going to guess it was desperate times, but I still think it’s a cute little act.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Hester3 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:11 I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.
So true :)
Military brings such unity among people
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I'm still at the start but I like the bonding between Zach and Eastman so far.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:00 So far, the most vivid scene was the trip from the harbor to Olongapo over the 'sh*t River.' My husband tells me that there were little Phillipino children who would taunt the sailors to toss coins over the edge of the bridge, and then dive into that mess to retrieve them. In reality, they had a net stretched below the surface that caught the coins, and they had a coin in their hand when they jumped in. They would harvest the money from the net just after dark. My husband's buddies gave him no end of ribbing for falling for these tricks.
:D These kids were really clever. And adorable.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Hester3 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:11 I just started reading the book, but what stood out to me was that the characters did not really care what their shipmates' background was. They would only start to ask personal questions once the first bonds of friendship has already been laid. It is as if the military is a great equalizer, where the only distinction between men is their job title and rank.
I agree with you, the military is a great equalizer. When you are wearing the same uniform and fighting on the same side of the war then your choices on who to befriend are very limited.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I have not read the book yet but from other sailors novel, there is always great adventure and action. I don't think this book is any different.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I got a kick out of the scenes with McCoy. He is a really colorful character with the profane names that he comes up with to call the recruits.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 15:41 I got a kick out of the scenes with McCoy. He is a really colorful character with the profane names that he comes up with to call the recruits.
Yes, he was salty, wasn't he? He made a science out of berating his swabbies, and they seemed to live him for it.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

"Be a Navy, and see the world." The Naval motto, which catches the eye of young men, a sacrificial journey for the sake of the country.
Zach had recently graduated in college and entered Navy, he did his job well as he was told. He is an outstanding seaman apprentice.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I love the discipline the junior officers always have for their seniors. But i also don't like being given unquestionable instructions, maybe that explains why I'm not in the military 😊
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”