There is no "I" in team

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Re: There is no "I" in team

Post by Twylla »

There was such a brotherhood among the guys on the ship. It seems like anywhere you traveled in the military you would always have family there.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 16:01 There was such a brotherhood among the guys on the ship. It seems like anywhere you traveled in the military you would always have family there.
Very true, or at least that was my experience. I was stationed in the U.S. and later overseas, and the almost instantaneous feeling of family was constant no matter at which base I happened to be stationed. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Daniel_ wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 02:23
Saraion wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 00:59 Teamwork is often necessary in life. It is especially important in the army and among soldiers. Coordination is a requirement of an army. However, in some areas this has been overlooked.
Though I have not read this book, I must say that truly there is no "I" in team. Teamwork doesn't give room for selfishness or self-glory, and if there is anything I admire in the army, it is their team spirit.
A lot of that team spirit has to do with everyone being so far from home. You're all in similar circumstances and become part of support systems for each other. It's kind of an intuitive survival mechanism, I suppose. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

I think it's more than camaraderie. They learned to work as a cohesive unit and build bonds because of the pressure. They were friends.
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

PRECIOUSreads wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 18:48 I think it's more than camaraderie. They learned to work as a cohesive unit and build bonds because of the pressure. They were friends.
I agree that learning to work together seamlessly is a necessity, and this involves the building of close bonds. But just like within a family, you're never going to be "buddy-buddy" with everyone. Some you just learn to tolerate, others become close friends, and still, others have almost a sibling relationship. Bonds nonetheless, though. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!!
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

Kelyn wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 15:09
PRECIOUSreads wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 18:48 I think it's more than camaraderie. They learned to work as a cohesive unit and build bonds because of the pressure. They were friends.
I agree that learning to work together seamlessly is a necessity, and this involves the building of close bonds. But just like within a family, you're never going to be "buddy-buddy" with everyone. Some you just learn to tolerate, others become close friends, and still, others have almost a sibling relationship. Bonds nonetheless, though. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!!
Thank you so much for your remarkable/intuitive moderation from November through now. You are really good at what you do. Again, many thanks. Randy
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The only way to survive is to stick together as a unit. It is not surprising that they form such strong bonds when out on duty. I love the military way of life
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Jajachris wrote: 14 May 2020, 11:34 The only way to survive is to stick together as a unit. It is not surprising that they form such strong bonds when out on duty. I love the military way of life
I was fond of parts of it as well, the camaraderie being the primary one that I miss. It's inevitable to form some sort of bond, positive or negative, with those in your unit that you live and work closely with every day. Even today, I miss two of the close friends I made in my unit. The bonds you form, never completely leave you, I suppose. Thanks for dropping in and sharing your thoughts!
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:36 I want to point out that the camaraderie extends to the military wives. Like the scene where the retired chief and his wife conspire to help the boatswain's apes give payback to the rogue marines.

In real life, the wives were a tight knit crew of their own. Sharing what little info was available about loved ones and helping each other get by in a very unpopular time was essential to the team
Good comment. Thanks for sharing your thought.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Beatus wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 04:56 My father was in the military. He used to tell me and my siblings that when there is danger, automatically anyone against it is your next of kin at that moment.
[/quote
My dad told me the same thing. I think you are right
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Beatus wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 04:56 My father was in the military. He used to tell me and my siblings that when there is danger, automatically anyone against it is your next of kin at that moment.
[/quote
My dad told me the same thing. I think you are right
Sherry Sherry 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sherry Sherry 1 »

I get clear picture and understanding on this because of my ancestors heroes fighting for justice and independence.Going down to History of how they could unite to become one and save themselve from slavery and be independent just describe this deadly water.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-okoye-2.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

It's so amazing how the military is able to unite folks from different backgrounds, social strata, e.t.c to the point where they would literally put thier lives in the line for each other.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”