There is no "I" in team

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Re: There is no "I" in team

Post by djr6090 »

Kelyn wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 23:18
djr6090 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 10:14 A very deep bond is shown when Bill Holmann, "the Professor" and his whole family from the West coast flew across the USA to go to Zach and Tally's wedding. Then again to support Zach when he was sick. A very tight bond.
Good point. The bonds formed between them would have had to be quite strong to lead them across the country - twice - to support Zach and Tally. In my experience, outside of family and perhaps very close friendships, in the service is the only place I have felt that sense of 'family' for those who were not actually kin to me.
You know, Keyln, maybe that's why I was so touched by Zach's story. Early in the book he got to feel like military family. I hadn't realized it until now.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Katherine Smith wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 12:54 I think that this mentality of banding together comes across in the book when dealing with the unforgiving terrain of the Vietnam jungles. When you are in a foreign country it is an adjustment, but fighting in a foreign country is one of the hardest things that you can do. This book reminded me a lot of my uncle who also served in Vietnam in the Army. He and the small group of guys that he was with had each other as company when there weren't any other people in sight.
I like how you explained it. Sometimes I wonder why forces go to another country to fight. Why?
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Kelyn wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 17:51
B Creech wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 13:16 I know my uncles and my ex-husband made good, close friends during their time in the military. They were all in active duty during the Viet Nam War and there are many things they can, and will share with their military buddies that they can't share with family and civilian friends, even to this day!
I found the same to be true of my grandfather. He served in WWII and would never talk about it to us, but occasionally, when he had a friend or two over from his unit, I would overhear them talking about it in hushed tones. (I was a very sneaky child. LOL) Not even my grandmother was present in the living room during these 'sessions' with his war buddies. You could tell that the friendships and bonds they had formed during their time together in the trenches remained strong even as they grew older.
My brother was in Vietnam, and like Zack, he would wake up screaming at night; but he also won't talk about it with the family.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Samy Lax wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 02:23 I have not fully read this book yet. Nevertheless, when a group of people train together to fight for a common cause, I am sure it just gets them really close to each other. I have heard about people who served in the military who are more comfortable with those they were in active duty with than they are with other friends back home and family.
It can and most often does except for the inevitable clash of personalities within any group living in close quarters. One of the reasons (I've found) that the phenomenon of being more comfortable with those you served with than your own family and friends is that they know what you've been through. They were there and lived it too. There is no need to explain or go into detail about things that happened and how it felt and still feels. And again, you see that unbreakable bond of brotherhood.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

BookPower9 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 21:38 My father is a reserved military. He became commandant in CAT. One thing that I've learned he is disciplined. Camaraderie is a word for Military. But in Business it is called Team. Both described true character of a person. In any organization it was very valuable.
Yes, both camaraderie and the concept of "team" are similar, and both are very valuable. I don't know, though, that either of these terms describes (or even can describe) the 'true character' of a person. Though both of these terms encompass, to some extent, the way one interacts with others, such as family or those you train or work with, an individual's character is shaped by many factors, not these two alone. I feel that it shines through most in the 'heat of the moment," in those split-second decisions, where someone of a differing character could have chosen the exact opposite of what you would. I don't think any single term or concept can fully describe a person's character. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoyed the relationships between Howell and Zach as well as the friendship Zach developed with The Professor (Bill). The way they supported each other through Zach’s cancer ordeal was emotional and I loved how loyal they were to each other and their families.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 08:33 I enjoyed the relationships between Howell and Zach as well as the friendship Zach developed with The Professor (Bill). The way they supported each other through Zach’s cancer ordeal was emotional and I loved how loyal they were to each other and their families.
Loyalty to one's fellow service members is something that seems to come naturally when you're in the service. Or at least it seemed so to me. It's a microcosm within itself where supporting one another is just part and parcel of life, just like Zach's relationships with the Professor and Howell.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

My brother was briefly in the Army. He received an honorable medical discharge because of his asthma. He echoed your sentiments. He eventually ended up becoming a firefighter and paramedic and similar bonds tend to form between people in these professions.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:36 I want to point out that the camaraderie extends to the military wives. Like the scene where the retired chief and his wife conspire to help the boatswain's apes give payback to the rogue marines.

In real life, the wives were a tight knit crew of their own. Sharing what little info was available about loved ones and helping each other get by in a very unpopular time was essential to the team
Yeah, I think the scenario you just painted is a very popular one amongst military wives.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 12:18 My brother was briefly in the Army. He received an honorable medical discharge because of his asthma. He echoed your sentiments. He eventually ended up becoming a firefighter and paramedic and similar bonds tend to form between people in these professions.
I'm not surprised at that. Those are professions which, like the military, require that you can depend on the person behind, beside, and in front of you. Working together as a team like that tends to quickly form friendships and tighten the bonds between all individuals in the group. It's a sense of being able to depend on each other unreservedly. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Kelyn wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:35
Karina Nowak wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:31 Unfortunately, I have yet to read this book. However, it would be hard for me to believe that anything but a sense of deep camaraderie would develop in a situation like that. Having to rely on each other to survive and for emotional support, would create a real sense of trust between any group of people. I have yet to read a war-themed book that wasn't like you described.
Camaraderie is an excellent word for it. I have to say it's the thing I miss the most about being in the military. There's nothing like it anywhere in civilian life, at least that I've ever found. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
Exactly! Camaraderie is the only way for them to associate with others. Building rapport with someone you don't know is not easy. Camaraderie bonds many things, including their likes, deslikes, backgrounds and common hobbies.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Military situations lead to even stronger bond among the soldiers which eliminates the “i” and makes it we.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

ernest mwangemi wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 12:24 Military situations lead to even stronger bond among the soldiers which eliminates the “i” and makes it we.
You cannot make a good team by just yourself. You are right, 'we' is the last choice they have. If one of them, use 'I', coordination is divided.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Having been a military spouse years ago, I experienced firsthand what so many soldiers and families go through, especially during deployments. The animosity and critical judgments between ranks, branches, and even MOS codes is certainly palpable at times, but I think the true camaraderie is steadfast and omnipresent. It was nice to read how even new recruits or men coming aboard for the first time were assisted by those with more experience in learning the ship's layout and everyday routine. Wartime maneuvers (and VA involvement after-the-fact) certainly require a "team approach" for maximum effectiveness.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I think in any war a group of soldiers has to learn to work with each other because if they do not then they could put each other and themselves at risk.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”