There is no "I" in team

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

There is no "I" in team

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Having been in the military, I can confidently tell you that there is nothing on earth like the sense of family you will find there. On the flip side of that, however, are the everpresent (usually friendly)) 'competitions' between platoons, occupations within them, and even single individuals. (The ones between individuals were frequently not so friendly!) Each believes that their area/occupation etc. is superior to the others in some way. Push come to shove, though, every last one of them would band together whether it was to help, to defend, or to combat. How is this shown in Deadly Waters?
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that this mentality of banding together comes across in the book when dealing with the unforgiving terrain of the Vietnam jungles. When you are in a foreign country it is an adjustment, but fighting in a foreign country is one of the hardest things that you can do. This book reminded me a lot of my uncle who also served in Vietnam in the Army. He and the small group of guys that he was with had each other as company when there weren't any other people in sight.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Katherine Smith wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 12:54 I think that this mentality of banding together comes across in the book when dealing with the unforgiving terrain of the Vietnam jungles. When you are in a foreign country it is an adjustment, but fighting in a foreign country is one of the hardest things that you can do. This book reminded me a lot of my uncle who also served in Vietnam in the Army. He and the small group of guys that he was with had each other as company when there weren't any other people in sight.
Serving in a foreign country is not only an adjustment, but it's also very disorienting. You know nothing or next to nothing of the language, customs, or people. You tend to gravitate to anyone or anything remotely familiar. More often than not, that's going to be the people you serve with. Thanks to your uncle for his service and the hardships that went with it. I'm glad you stopped in to share your thoughts!
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

Unfortunately, I have yet to read this book. However, it would be hard for me to believe that anything but a sense of deep camaraderie would develop in a situation like that. Having to rely on each other to survive and for emotional support, would create a real sense of trust between any group of people. I have yet to read a war-themed book that wasn't like you described.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Karina Nowak wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:31 Unfortunately, I have yet to read this book. However, it would be hard for me to believe that anything but a sense of deep camaraderie would develop in a situation like that. Having to rely on each other to survive and for emotional support, would create a real sense of trust between any group of people. I have yet to read a war-themed book that wasn't like you described.
Camaraderie is an excellent word for it. I have to say it's the thing I miss the most about being in the military. There's nothing like it anywhere in civilian life, at least that I've ever found. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I want to point out that the camaraderie extends to the military wives. Like the scene where the retired chief and his wife conspire to help the boatswain's apes give payback to the rogue marines.

In real life, the wives were a tight knit crew of their own. Sharing what little info was available about loved ones and helping each other get by in a very unpopular time was essential to the team
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 11:36 I want to point out that the camaraderie extends to the military wives. Like the scene where the retired chief and his wife conspire to help the boatswain's apes give payback to the rogue marines.

In real life, the wives were a tight knit crew of their own. Sharing what little info was available about loved ones and helping each other get by in a very unpopular time was essential to the team
Absolutely. Excellent example as well! Living in close quarters in on-base housing does inspire you to get to know and come to depend on one another. I was a military wife, but also a soldier, so it was a little different for me, but I always knew that support was there for me if I should need it. Thanks for dropping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires&rsquo; Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Kelyn wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 18:18 Having been in the military, I can confidently tell you that there is nothing on earth like the sense of family you will find there. On the flip side of that, however, are the everpresent (usually friendly)) 'competitions' between platoons, occupations within them, and even single individuals. (The ones between individuals were frequently not so friendly!) Each believes that their area/occupation etc. is superior to the others in some way. Push come to shove, though, every last one of them would band together whether it was to help, to defend, or to combat. How is this shown in Deadly Waters?
Your description proves that you are familiar with what happens in war situations among fellow soldiers. It is very impressive. What I do not understand is whether you are asking us to provide answers, or are just criticizing the book. Probably when I read through the book I will know.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Kelyn wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 19:26
Katherine Smith wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 12:54 I think that this mentality of banding together comes across in the book when dealing with the unforgiving terrain of the Vietnam jungles. When you are in a foreign country it is an adjustment, but fighting in a foreign country is one of the hardest things that you can do. This book reminded me a lot of my uncle who also served in Vietnam in the Army. He and the small group of guys that he was with had each other as company when there weren't any other people in sight.
Serving in a foreign country is not only an adjustment, but it's also very disorienting. You know nothing or next to nothing of the language, customs, or people. You tend to gravitate to anyone or anything remotely familiar. More often than not, that's going to be the people you serve with. Thanks to your uncle for his service and the hardships that went with it. I'm glad you stopped in to share your thoughts!
Add to that many of the people do NOT want you there. I have been there - and know that the comraderie we find in the military cannot be matched in any other situation. On the bright side, you do save money when you're deployed. :)
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I know my uncles and my ex-husband made good, close friends during their time in the military. They were all in active duty during the Viet Nam War and there are many things they can, and will share with their military buddies that they can't share with family and civilian friends, even to this day!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

B Creech wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 13:16 I know my uncles and my ex-husband made good, close friends during their time in the military. They were all in active duty during the Viet Nam War and there are many things they can, and will share with their military buddies that they can't share with family and civilian friends, even to this day!
I found the same to be true of my grandfather. He served in WWII and would never talk about it to us, but occasionally, when he had a friend or two over from his unit, I would overhear them talking about it in hushed tones. (I was a very sneaky child. LOL) Not even my grandmother was present in the living room during these 'sessions' with his war buddies. You could tell that the friendships and bonds they had formed during their time together in the trenches remained strong even as they grew older.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

I think that it's amazing how deep bonds are formed in the military. To know that someone has put your interests before his is inspiring. The competitions are bound to happen because as you said everyone is aiming to be the best team in all of the other teams.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

It's true deep bonds form in times of adversity. I've read a few military novels and see this development often. However, I feel that the aftermath of war and what becomes of the "I" from the team is often neglected. By that I mean what happens when war is over, and how everyone is expected to continue their lives when they return home. Zach from this novel returned a stronger person, but I dare say most fall through the cracks.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

My father was in the military. He used to tell me and my siblings that when there is danger, automatically anyone against it is your next of kin at that moment.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Being in a situation like that in an unfamiliar country, one would definitely bond strongly with others. I also like the word 'camaraderie' another user here used to describe it.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”