What passages surprised you?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Re: What passages surprised you?

Post by Prisallen »

LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:13 I was surprised to learn that the military dropped over 19 million gallons of Agent Orange on Vietnam. That seemed like overkill. It was hard to believe that the military thought that Agent Orange was not dangerous to humans or animals, but it would kill all plant life!

I was also a bit surprised that there was great animosity between the Navy and the Marines. The fighting each other seemed out of control when they had a bigger enemy to fight.
I was also surprised by the animosity between the Navy and the Marines. I thought they all believed that they were fighting on the same side and, therefore were comrades.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I was surprised about how far the rivalry between the Navy and Marines went. I didn’t realize there was that much hate between them so the depth of brutality and retaliation against the Marine Lieutenant was eye opening (although he was a big jerk, they left him in really bad shape).
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 03:19
djr6090 wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 10:54 As I read Deadly Waters some of the passages struck me as being out of tune with the deadly seriousness of the story. The beautiful descriptions of the jungle and the mountains are one example. The tranquility hid such frightening turmoil.

What passages did you find surprising and why?
No part surprised me. Maybe because I have been living among the Navy for a long time and know a bit of what is wrong with the system. But this book opened my eyes to a lot of things.
Keep your eyes open, Nuel. There are some serious changes being made to the Veterans Affairs office. Attitude adjustments are needed on both sides.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

djr6090 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 10:13
djr6090 wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 10:54 As I read Deadly Waters some of the passages struck me as being out of tune with the deadly seriousness of the story. The beautiful descriptions of the jungle and the mountains are one example. The tranquility hid such frightening turmoil.

What passages did you find surprising and why?
No part surprised me. Maybe because I have been living among the Navy for a long time and know a bit of what is wrong with the system. But this book opened my eyes to a lot of things.
Keep your eyes open, Nuel. There are some serious changes being made to the Veterans Affairs office. Attitude adjustments are needed on both sides.
It's about time the changes are made. Veterans deserve honor.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

karendi jururi wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 12:27 The horrors committed by the VA on the undeserving veterans! Utterly shocking!
Yes, I agree. I knew that there were many helpless veterans out in the streets, but I didn't know the extent of it or the root of the problem.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Aaniyah02 wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 17:30 From Chapter 28 on I was utterly surprised at the way the VA system was attacked. After doing my research I can say that this has opened my eyes to the mistreatment of our veterans and that more people need to read this wonderful novel.
Yes that pissed me off! I couldn't believe they changed the eligibility from the type of water. Agent Orange is so toxic that of course it's not going to affect only one area! So what if they didn't step foot on the damn land? Just for budget cuts! And that's what sent Zack to commit suicide. Absolutely outrageous.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Wamakima wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 04:50 I don't know if this is related but I was really surprised that white people called other whites Yankees 'cause of their accent. It really bothers me.
I agree with you. I also like that Zack made the effort to change his speech because they kept making fun of him.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I was shocked when Zack was hitchhiking and the people in the car stopped for him... and then they threw the &$#@%*ing milkshake at him!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brodkavelarg: :gaah:
What is wrong with people???
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:13 I was surprised to learn that the military dropped over 19 million gallons of Agent Orange on Vietnam. That seemed like overkill. It was hard to believe that the military thought that Agent Orange was not dangerous to humans or animals, but it would kill all plant life!

I was also a bit surprised that there was great animosity between the Navy and the Marines. The fighting each other seemed out of control when they had a bigger enemy to fight.
Exactly! I don't even know such a true event ever existed, especially, the controversial Agent Orange. I can't understand why a type of pesticide was used in desalination. I guess, there is a conspiracy on this part.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

jeminah28 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 19:09

Exactly! I don't even know such a true event ever existed, especially, the controversial Agent Orange. I can't understand why a type of pesticide was used in desalination. I guess, there is a conspiracy on this part.
When it rained, the Agent Orange was washed into the rivers and the seas. The Navy used seawater to drink, but they had to first desalinate it. The water had the ingredient, Dioxin, from Agent Orange, and it was known to cause diseases.
Jeremie Mondejar

LV2R wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 21:21
jeminah28 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 19:09

When it rained, the Agent Orange was washed into the rivers and the seas. The Navy used seawater to drink, but they had to first desalinate it. The water had the ingredient, Dioxin, from Agent Orange, and it was known to cause diseases.
Ohhh my... I really wonder, why they used Agent Orange when in fact it was lethal. I have theories in my mind...
1. Conspiracy, it might be those times an enemy give them an idea about using Agen Orange without the knowledge of the government.
2. FDA, WHO, FBAd and other health related facilities are not yet able to detect such dioxin effects in the body.
3. Negligence of the government body, especially the Naval Heads.
Jeremie

djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 16:08
djr6090 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 10:13

It's about time the changes are made. Veterans deserve honor.
Yes indeed!
Jeremie Mondejar

Sinclairess wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 17:40
Wamakima wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 04:50 I don't know if this is related but I was really surprised that white people called other whites Yankees 'cause of their accent. It really bothers me.
I agree with you. I also like that Zack made the effort to change his speech because they kept making fun of him.
All I know about whites' culture, they are friendly with their fellow men regardless of status or whatever made another person inferior to the other.
Jeremie

Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I did not know about the heroin, and how the Viet Cong gave it to the American troops for very cheap, so they could get addicted, go back to the U.S. and destroy their own culture.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

For me, it was definitely the descriptions. I expected them to be very dull or bland, and that was not the case at all. The author actually did a beautiful job of describing the landscape, and it helped readers vividly picture Zack's surroundings and connect with him even more, in my opinion.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”