Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Re: Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Post by Erin Dydek »

For me, this book opened my eyes to what the VA neglected to do for the men in the Navy. I knew military men were treated poorly when they came home from Vietnam but I had no idea that they were not given their rightfully earned medical benefits. The lack of provision destroyed these men and their families.

This book also did a great job of showing the horrors done to the civilians in Vietnam from Zach’s perspective. His reluctance to stay at a gun position showed his struggle to stay loyal to his duty after witnessing the horrible things that the weapons were doing to innocent people.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

jeminah28 wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 23:56 No, it did not change my views because the events of long ago will never change forever. It is so sad, good soldier are not treated well, when in fact what they did saves many lives.
I agree. I believe that wars like this are not about the soldiers or the citizens. Instead, they are about what the two governments want done.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I wouldn't say that my view about Vietnam war did change because war is just war and there's no winner in wars. Also, war is usually two-sided and never one-sided. Usually when I read books that have war in it, I get too emotional.
Books are beautiful.
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

Wars are bad,period.They showcase the evil side of us humans, and it's always the vulnerable and innocent that suffer most.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

Wars are devastating. This book did change my outlook on Vietnam war. I realised that the ones doing wrong might be the ones who were wronged in the past. But ultimately it's the innocent general public, who suffer.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I wouldn't say that this changed my mind on things, but I don't really know much about Vietnam anyways. Anytime I can find an opportunity to learn about it, I tend to take it because of how little I really know.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Michelle Fred wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 01:22 I know nothing about wars, and like you said I'm lucky that I only get to read about it in books. I'm not American, but from what I know about the Vietnam War I couldn't stop asking, to what end?
I agree with you. Wars are not pretty. I am glad I only read them in history. Like seriously, to what end? Right?
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

I'm not from the US, and I knew of the Vietnam War only through movies and TV. Although any war is terrible, this one seems to be more than usually so. And needless.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I want to say no because I always had an inkling on what happened during the Vietnam war. Being from the Philippines, we learned a little bit about the different wars that happened in Southeast Asian countries but honestly I feel like all wars do terrible things to countries and to the people all over the world and that's just the sad fact.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 12:15
jeminah28 wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 23:56 No, it did not change my views because the events of long ago will never change forever. It is so sad, good soldier are not treated well, when in fact what they did saves many lives.
I agree. I believe that wars like this are not about the soldiers or the citizens. Instead, they are about what the two governments want done.
Exactly. War is just the product of old leaders, but young soldiers lost their lives to follow suit the orders of old leaders, in favor of saving the country. Too many young men and women sacrifices their lives and a lot of mother cried for once their precious child were now gone.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was interested in reading this book to learn about the Navy's participation in the war. The book surprised me as I learned just how difficult their job was and the difficult situations they encountered. You can't move a large ship like you can a helicopter or airplane. The lack of respect and mutual cooperation between the Army and the Navy disappointed me.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

This book absolutely changed my views on the Vietnam war. I am glad it did. It made me rethink who is really to blame for the war? As a civilian, it is easy for me to point the finger at a man in uniform, because he chose it, right? Wrong. I should be pointing the finger at our government, who are the real bosses here. I really wonder what would happen if none of our men or women left home to fight. The book brought up this point and I have been thinking on it for weeks. What if a war was scheduled.... and no one went? Sure this is impossible, but what if? I imagine stricter laws and physical force would be used by our government, to make sure they have bodies for their cause.

This brings me back to the scene where the protester gets his face punched in for literally pointing the finger at the wrong guy.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

UnicornKnight wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 04:05 I want to say no because I always had an inkling on what happened during the Vietnam war. Being from the Philippines, we learned a little bit about the different wars that happened in Southeast Asian countries but honestly I feel like all wars do terrible things to countries and to the people all over the world and that's just the sad fact.
Though Philippines was just there for support, during those times Olongapo became the Vets shelter for relaxation. My grannies stories about the Veitnam war made their lives in chaos. Most of the times, they said, "it's hard to sleep at night."
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

While I didn't go to Vietnam, I have friends that were in the service and the stories they tell are impossible to believe. Books like Deadly Waters always surprise me with facts that match the stories from my friends.
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

While I have heard a few things about it, I did not really have a perspective on it.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”