Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Re: Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Post by Megapede »

War is never about who is right only who is left and it changes people, places, and mindsets. This book did not truly change my views on the Vietnam War but it did give me a new perspective.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I researched follow up actions in Congress and in the courts to determine where this issue stands today. I found that there was a Senate hearing in September of 2015. However, the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2015 failed in the Senate. I also found a January 31, 2019 article published in Smithsonian Magazine, “Court Rules ‘Blue Water’ Vietnam Veterans Are Eligible for Agent Orange Benefits.” Mr. Miller should be proud that his efforts to educate Americans on this issue have resulted in veterans finally receiving the benefits they deserve. :D
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

I am a student of History. So I can tell that this kind of book it is a good inside wiew of the main characters of the war. The soldiers of diferent corp´s lived this war in their own style. The Navy had it tought but also the cavalry (7° of cavary partake this war to) and the infantry. The only ones that come more or less clean in this mess is the airforce.

In this book the main focus it´s the Navy and how a bloody mess was their part in this war. The sea part was more or less the softh one. the part in the rivers and chanels warfare was hell. Simple and clear: Hell.

Like the earth side of the war they did not kow wen the fisher boat at the side of their ship will become a vulcan of gunfire, a boarding incursion or a bobytrap to blew up them. Also in the rain limited their action range and make them vulnerable for coastal assault. An they have to stand there uncovered beacuse if their not stand there the enemy will take that posithion from them. And their docking was not the safest one. A lot of sabotage and robbery was also part of this.

This book gave me insight into the point of view of sailors and marines.
Twylla

Post by Twylla »

I wrote :tiphat: Senator Roy Blunt, my senator in Missouri, and he sent me this WONDERFUL reply

"The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act passed the Senate with my support, and was signed into law by President Trump on June 25, 2019. This law will help ensure that Vietnam-era veterans exposed to harmful chemicals, regardless of where they served, are able to get the care they need. I will continue to do my part in assuring support and honor for all of our nation’s service members, both when they deploy and return home. "

Thank you, Senator Blunt!!!!
posting.php?mode=reply&f=193&t=124594#
Twylla Johnson
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

Twylla wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 15:05 I wrote :tiphat: Senator Roy Blunt, my senator in Missouri, and he sent me this WONDERFUL reply

"The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act passed the Senate with my support, and was signed into law by President Trump on June 25, 2019. This law will help ensure that Vietnam-era veterans exposed to harmful chemicals, regardless of where they served, are able to get the care they need. I will continue to do my part in assuring support and honor for all of our nation’s service members, both when they deploy and return home. "

Thank you, Senator Blunt!!!!
posting.php?mode=reply&f=193&t=124594#
Twylla Johnson
Here's the deal on that bill. Now instead of having to prove our feet touched the ground, with this bill we must prove our ships came within 12 miles of land. A sick vet must get hold of all his ship's logs and charts of the Vietnamese coast, then find someone who can plot Latitudes and longitudes that will hopefully prove their locations. Again, the monsoon runoff didn't magically end at 12 miles. Try doing all that when you are getting chemo and/or radiation. The real travesty here is that the Supreme Court was going to let it rightfully revert back to the original law where all you needed was a signature disease and a Vietnam Service Medal. Better for us had congress left it alone.
Twylla

Post by Twylla »

That is terrible! Our representatives in congress are so out of touch, it is maddening. You said 'our'. You must be ill. Saying a prayer for you now. God bless you.
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

Twylla wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 21:57 That is terrible! Our representatives in congress are so out of touch, it is maddening. You said 'our'. You must be ill. Saying a prayer for you now. God bless you.
No Twyla, as of now I remain healthy. Because of my service, I have had the presumption of exposure since the early days. this book plus years of my life have been about getting my brothers the help they needed. If you go to the Deadly Waters Amazon webpage, and scroll to the very, very back of the book you will see that I have just recently added an addendum that you might find of interest. Many thanks for your keen insight and support of this cause, Randy Miller
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

This book has changed my view about war and it's affects and very beautifully this book lights on this issue.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I think I believe there should not have been the war at all. Well, that's true for every war, but Vietnam stands out for me. And I do believe the war was never really won. This book opened a window to the naval activities I had not read about earlier.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

It has not changed my perception about the vietnam war rather, it gave me deeper insight on what I already know
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

To have never experienced any war in your country is such a huge blessing. Warmongers make me wonder if there is any shred of humanity in them.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

It's funny how love is that which kills the most. Many wars broke out due to the "love" for their country and their people. Many soldiers have fallen while believing what they are doing is correct. Could they have known that beyond their muzzles, there are also people who fight for their faith and family? It's not wrong if you love. It's only wrong if you direct your love towards the false target.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Abhyarna »

MrunalT wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 05:38 I think I believe there should not have been the war at all. Well, that's true for every war, but Vietnam stands out for me. And I do believe the war was never really won. This book opened a window to the naval activities I had not read about earlier.
"war was never won"- well said. In a wider sense, no war can ever be won. There are losses on both sides.
Sandy16
Favorite Book: Lost in the reflecting pool
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy16.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandy16 »

I have family that served during the Vietnam war and I would love to know more about what went on during this time in history. I am intrigued to read this book and share with my daughter who is always wanting to know more.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I've studied U.S. military history in college as part of my History Minor, and the amount of false propaganda that was spread during the Vietnam War, along with the problem of military generals who wanted to be remembered in history like their WWII predecessors, led to the U.S. staying in this war far longer than necessary. Personal accounts like these are helping to bring the truth to light about the Vietnam War and how unjust the entire thing was. It was a massive waste of time, money, resources, and--most importantly--human lives.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”