Zack and Tally

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Re: Zack and Tally

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I think it was very powerful, so much that he was able to, at the age of 18-20, resist all the other temptations while deployed. Many of them lose their minds when away from home for the first time. While deployed there is the extra stress, and they need some kind of release from that, too.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

MsH2k wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 15:27
pshaw1414 wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 11:35
MsH2k wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 23:13 ***spoiler*** :shhh:
Their relationship was beautiful. They were truly meant to be together. I was glad Tally’s mom supported their relationship. She recognized true love. It was sweet when Zack encouraged Tally to find love again after he was gone.
I liked that, too. I was confused, however. He must have gotten sick years after serving, or perhaps he survived longer than I thought. Tally was 55 at his funeral? That's where I was lost.
I was surprised so much time had passed as well.
This was not a mistake in the timeline. Science is discovering that the carcinogens in agent orange remain in the fatty tissue of the body and break up chromosomes decades later. In fact, Vietnamese women are still passing dioxins to their babies in breast milk..
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 18:30
B Creech wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 19:17 I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
And it's amazing how applicable a statement that continues to be today. Even the modern day battles fought in Iraq and Afghanistan have led to the dissolution of many a marital union. I was one of those casualties myself. Reading the success stories of couples like Zack and Tally are heartwarming reminders that not every relationship will become a sad statistic.
So very true! It is really sad the adjustment back to civilian life is so difficult for some.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 13:03 I think it was very powerful, so much that he was able to, at the age of 18-20, resist all the other temptations while deployed. Many of them lose their minds when away from home for the first time. While deployed there is the extra stress, and they need some kind of release from that, too.
I am happy if a type of Zach's attitude towards women (their relationship with a lover) will increase enormously. How happy it might be to have a family with a smooth relationship with your lover for yielding into temptation has resulted in a troublesome life.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I loved their relationship! You don't often come across that kind of love story in a book, where the characters are willing to remain loyal and steadfast to each other over a long period of time, and I thought that was really lovely to see. It made me love Zack all the more for showing such respect for Tally while he was overseas.
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 18:30
B Creech wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 19:17 I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
And it's amazing how applicable a statement that continues to be today. Even the modern day battles fought in Iraq and Afghanistan have led to the dissolution of many a marital union. I was one of those casualties myself. Reading the success stories of couples like Zack and Tally are heartwarming reminders that not every relationship will become a sad statistic.
I agree! It was so refreshing to read a love story that didn't have a cynical spin on it.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Zach and Tally both seemed mature for their age. They were sensible and sensitive and understanding them through their letters was poignant.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

My opinion is that Zack and Tally did not really get to have a relationship. I feel that they had a strong bond that kept them together.
Chelsea N. Hackett
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

I agree! It was nice to see that their love was a steadying force for both of them that kept them grounded and hopeful for so long.
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

djr6090 wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 13:53
MsH2k wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 15:27
pshaw1414 wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 11:35

I liked that, too. I was confused, however. He must have gotten sick years after serving, or perhaps he survived longer than I thought. Tally was 55 at his funeral? That's where I was lost.
I was surprised so much time had passed as well.
This was not a mistake in the timeline. Science is discovering that the carcinogens in agent orange remain in the fatty tissue of the body and break up chromosomes decades later. In fact, Vietnamese women are still passing dioxins to their babies in breast milk..
Wow, that's heartbreaking that Agent Orange is still causing so much pain for so many all these years later :(
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:06 I also liked that Zach remained faithful to Tally alone. I liked that they wrote to each other and occasionally got to spend time together before Zach had served his time in the Navy and was able to marry Tally. I thought it was really good that Tally got her nursing degree and was able to work.
I agree with you! Their story was so heartwarming and endearing, and I think it was nice how their story offered hope in the midst of such terrible circumstances.
wordslinger42

Post by wordslinger42 »

pshaw1414 wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 11:33
LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:06 I also liked that Zach remained faithful to Tally alone. I liked that they wrote to each other and occasionally got to spend time together before Zach had served his time in the Navy and was able to marry Tally. I thought it was really good that Tally got her nursing degree and was able to work.
Yes! I was suprised that he remained faithful considering the pressure he experienced. Even in California when Rhonda came around, I thought for sure he was going to mess it up.
How great that he didn't, though! I loved that the author chose to go that route.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I think "opposites attract" is really the best descriptor for their relationship! It is possible to be very different but very well suited. :)
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

wordslinger42 wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 10:52
pshaw1414 wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 11:33
Yes! I was suprised that he remained faithful considering the pressure he experienced. Even in California when Rhonda came around, I thought for sure he was going to mess it up.
How great that he didn't, though! I loved that the author chose to go that route.
Me too. I feel it would have made Zack's experiences too depressing, as he wouldn't have Tally to look forward to.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

Their relationship is that of true love. They both love each other. Were it not so, Zack's heart would have been stolen by the bar girls.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”