Could have been better...and why?

For November 2019, we will be reading Crime/Thriller books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Could have been better...and why?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think it would be interesting to have a space where we can share books that we've read under the crime and/or thriller genres, but that fell short of our expectations.

Here are a few guiding points as we think about the books for this topic:
  • As you share, please do not give spoilers for potential future readers.
  • Include the book title, author, and genre.
  • What aspect(s) fell short in your opinion? What could have been better? (i.e. character development, suspense, predictability, plot flow, etc.)
  • Share the rating you gave.
:lire4:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently read The Chain by Adrian McKinty. This can easily be considered a crime and a thriller novel.

I was speeding through the beginning of the novel, which was great. I love when novels can capture your full attention. However, there was a certain point, toward the middle of the book, where I thought the plot dragged a little and was somewhat predictable, which made the intensity of the story drop. The second half of the book had its exciting points, but it also had almost a laundry list of items the author wanted to share, which made the writing somewhat choppy as well.

Overall, I give the book a 3/4 stars. Still a pretty good score, I just wanted it more be more than what it was.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
James Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-edwards.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by James Edwards »

Lock Every Door by Riley Sager was so disappointing. It was set up for a perfect story about what appeared to be a haunted hotel where some newcomers were paid to house sit. When the reason behind everything was revealed it was very far fetched and could have been a great book.

Return to “November 2019 Genre Discussion”