Overall rating and opinion of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I enjoyed the book, though not as a romance. It felt like a fun light action book. The opening scene pulled me into the story from the very start, which was great. I also enjoyed the storyline. It wasn't believable for the most part, but it was interesting and fun. What I didn't like about the book was the poor development of the characters and the relationships between them, especially the one between Tom and Kelly. So I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

I do not liked the book. E M P Honney Moon

The characters are fair and developed. The E.M.P. was well depicted and endorsed. But the book lost it. Too forced too taked of thin air. Tere is no essence of romance. It fades of in the scientific depictions. And the mistakes of the antagonists. There are a lot of tecnisism and development of the action packed part. But it is a romance what she sells I supose.

The protagonist come in to the plot out of nowere and saves the day. No the best plot development seen. No grow or little crumbs takes us tho the main dish. Come here and solve this out of the blue. You are in Honduras the new Cuba were the evil ones come and go has they please.

The writer do a good job with framework and background. But the character main development of the "Evil ones" it is miss placed with their actions. The villains grow to be "The best of the best" but made a lot of stupid mistakes. They help a lot the main characters. Suposedly they are profesionals and survivors for good sake. You dont send to destroy the world someone that do not remember their cover lines.

Tere is also a lot of bad put frases that dislog the reader of the argumental reading. You come reading fast passed and engrosed the storytelling. And a male government agent used the phrase, “I would be in deep doo-doo.” and you crash de guardrail of the story and your reading mood its on fire and the multitude its enraged. Were is the swearing wen the situations amerits it. Even a soft one like "in deep crap" its a far better option than that bad phrase.

The endig comes when they solve every litle ting and it is all perfect. I do not buy it. A lot of people had the worst time of their lifes or they died. And the main characters Dick(Tom) and Jane(Kelly) of Nothighill saves the day. Too god dam forced to be a good ending.
jensmith0126
Currently Reading: A Conjuring of Light
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jensmith0126.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by jensmith0126 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 08:21 While I am just getting started on it I have mixed feelings. I like how action-packed the scene with Kelly being followed is. The parts with Dr. Kinney explaining how e-m-p could be a reality, I found a little confusing, but I am hoping it will all come together.
I would recommend it to lovers of sci-fi.
I am in the middle of reading this book, but I admit I am also hesitant about finishing it. As someone else in this discussion thread stated, the title does seem misleading, because I thought it would be a little more romance than science fiction. I have enjoyed other books by Mercer so I am hoping that the story line does pick up. I did really enjoy the story's beginning as it hooked me from the first chapter!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I rated EMP Honeymoon 4 stars. It was an action packed story told in an engaging way but concerning grave issues of today. Dorothy May Mercer writes about issues of today and provides education as part of the novel. She is a prolific writer and finds time to do the research behind the issue.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

Thanks AntonelaMaria for the heads up about this book not about romance. I've read one of Dorothy Mercers' books and she does tend to give misleading titles.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Generally, the book is amazing. The author's writing style very enjoyable and I felt closely attached to the characters. I will recommend it
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

I haven't had time to check out this book, but I'll definitely check it out. Adding to my bookshelf now
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am a fan of romance and the title had me thinking that this is what I would get from reading the book. Unfortunately that was not the case as the book is more action packed instead. I can't complain much as I still enjoyed reading it.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I also found myself not wanting to read this book because of the title, as I really don't like romance books. Someone mentioned a character going through trauma, would anyone say this book is darker themed? As I tend to avoid those types of books too.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

Only read a sample, but liked it well enough...I would give it 4 star rating.
mercywrites100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercywrites100.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by mercywrites100 »

Hi, I'm new, and I'm just about to wrap-up my reading of this book. I did enjoy reading it, but my rating is 3 out of 4 because of some of the issues I found. Still, I like the suspense, but I wished it had more romance.
Cydnee J Stinson
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnee-j-stinson.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Cydnee J Stinson »

I just finished E M P Honeymoon and I absolutely loved the book! I don't read political plot stories, and Ms. Mercer had me excited to continue reading as the plot thickened layer by layer. What I loved most about the book was the detective work that team USA put in to solve the case. The thing I liked least was the capture of the Korean spies, it was least exciting. I was hoping there would be a more detailed fight on their hands. Though it did not stop me from enjoying the book as a whole. I would definitely recommend because it isn't a tough read and it was exciting.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I chose to skip this book. Not my cup of tea, and judging from some of the comments I was correct. Love in outer space... not for ne.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I thought it was lacking in many ways. I like the idea behind the book, but it just seemed to be overpopulated with characters and lacking any kind of descriptive detail or character history. Too much in the beginning and not enough for the ending. I wouldn’t read it again.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
TutorGirlCheyenne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tutorgirlcheyenne.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by TutorGirlCheyenne »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 I would recommend this book but not to romance readers. I think that description is misleading. It is an action-packed book for sure. My favorite part is the ending and how everything was resolved. I also like how this book deals with interesting subjects like a solar flare. It is a thing I didn't know much about but after reading this book I was researching more. I always appreciate it when a book teaches me something that I didn't know before. On the other side, I would like if there were a stronger female character.
I definitely recommend this book as an audio. The narrator did an amazing job with it.
Sounds pretty interesting. I love a book that makes me want to learn more about subjects I am not well versed in. I'll have to give this one a read.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.”. – George R.R. Martin.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”