Favorite character in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Favorite character in the story?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 18:09
Helene_2008 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 18:37 I like Kim Jung Lo! He had to act like he was working against the enemy to create a bomb, but then also make a fatal error in its manufacturing so it wouldn't work. Then he also successfully escapes to live peacefully on his farm.
my favorite character is Kim Jung Lo too! He worked in the shadows, and he made only a few appearances in the book, but I think that in the end of the story he is the real hero. He was able to maintain a sparkle of individual thought despite the circumstances and to recognizes what is really going on when no one else did, both on the international and personal aspects: he figured out what this project is really meant for, and he understood where the scientists are really taken to. He managed to keep the hope to return to his home, but it's stated in the book that he is ready to sacrifice his safety in order to sabotage the project. And he proves that by deeds: He gets himself out of the mountain, but not before he enters a mistake in the code. This mistake saves the world, but no one knows that, and not even he himself, because all he really wants is to live in peace with his family, and he doesn't care about being acknoledged as a hero.
That is the highlight of this book for me. And the reason why I rated it 3 instead of 2 stars. I enjoyed the ending and choice that the author did with it. Someone who doesn't seeks praise and fame for doing the right thing - a rightful hero of the story.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

All character were very interesting and had something to think about once the book end.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

My favorite character would have to be Sharon. She is witty, snappy but yet she is also sensitive and caring. But I like her don't start none won't be none attiude.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 18:09
Helene_2008 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 18:37 I like Kim Jung Lo! He had to act like he was working against the enemy to create a bomb, but then also make a fatal error in its manufacturing so it wouldn't work. Then he also successfully escapes to live peacefully on his farm.
my favorite character is Kim Jung Lo too! He worked in the shadows, and he made only a few appearances in the book, but I think that in the end of the story he is the real hero. He was able to maintain a sparkle of individual thought despite the circumstances and to recognizes what is really going on when no one else did, both on the international and personal aspects: he figured out what this project is really meant for, and he understood where the scientists are really taken to. He managed to keep the hope to return to his home, but it's stated in the book that he is ready to sacrifice his safety in order to sabotage the project. And he proves that by deeds: He gets himself out of the mountain, but not before he enters a mistake in the code. This mistake saves the world, but no one knows that, and not even he himself, because all he really wants is to live in peace with his family, and he doesn't care about being acknoledged as a hero.
The conspiracy seems the twist of the story, though the team USA works harder, but this guy secretly sabotage it, which is a great help. I learned a lot on this scene like for example using female dog's urine to sabotage as well the male dog's urine and the bed's foul odor. :doh:
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

vermontelf wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:16 I was generally nonplussed by the character development in the story. Part of this, I think, is a problem because I used an audiobook instead of a text, and therefore I remember few details of the characters. However, they seemed underdeveloped. Above, someone mentioned too much giggling. In another strand, there was a post talking about how the married couple hardly seemed to know each other. There didn't need t be huge character development to move the story along, but the lack of developed characters is what mostly led me to give the book three stars instead of four.
I cannot grasp easily on audio alone. Usually, I listen to the audio while following the text. I guess, the development of the characters matter on the readers alone. Some readers may view it the other way around.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

chelhack wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 21:14 My favorite character would have to be Sharon. She is witty, snappy but yet she is also sensitive and caring. But I like her don't start none won't be none attiude.
Sharon definitely brought the sass to the story.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Monet_va wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 15:33 I don't think any of the characters really stood out more than the others but I liked Sharon the most because of her tenacity and how fierce she was.
I agree that none of the characters particularly stood out to me. Everyone seemed very one-dimensional.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Sincerely I wouldn't say I had a favorite character in this book. However, if I'm forced to give the most-liked character, I would say Steve. Even though I liked his patriotism and stalwartness as well, I'm convince he could have been my favourite if the author could have done more on his character development.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I would say either Cynthia or Sharon. I feel Cynthia has to be pretty cool to be in her position, and Sharon beats the others for me just by her driving :lol:
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

Kim Jung Lo and General Lee were my favorites because of how brave they were. I was really happy about how Kim Jung Lo's story ended and I loved how Team USA did all this investigative work but at the end of the day it was Kim Jung Lo who saved the day and no one even knew.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

Steve Spalding, hands down! Steve was the light and the life of the book and all the other characters seemed to have more depth when he was introduced.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 11:20 I think the story focuses more on plot than character development. Most of the characters are a bit underdeveloped. That being said, I like Steve the most. He's a smart and strong leader, and I liked his relationship with Sharon.
This is exactly the case in my opinion also. The storyline was the focus, well said!
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:36 No one really stood out for me. Tom and Steve had their moments. I wish Agatha, Sharon, and Kelly had stronger personalities. There was too much giggling for my liking. It just didn't fit into the storyline. I did like how antagonists were written.
Personally, my favorite was Steve, but I also disliked how the female characters had no depth and their characters were written liked stereotypical female action characters. The scared one who is portrayed as incompetent until she "proves" her skill (Kelly) and the big scary girls who are not afraid to throw down (Agatha & Sharon).
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

OliviaLouise wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 11:34 I kind of felt like most of the characters were a bit flat. I would have liked to see Kelly's character developed a bit more into a stronger lead. She kind of felt like a damsel in distress at times, imo.
Oh myy gawdd, yes! I hated how the author portrayed the female characters especially Kelly. Kelly always seemed to be so scared and weaker than everyone else when SHE was the one brave enough to explore the store and investigate.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Sue jin would have to be my favourite. I only wish they hadn't made her act like a schoolgirl with a crush in the parts with Steve.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”