Antagonists in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Re: Antagonists in the story?

Post by AvidBibliophile »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:23 I think the author did an incredible job with the antagonists of this story, especially Su Jin. I really liked her. I understood her motivation and reasons for doing what she did. Sure we can call her "bad" but she did what she knew and what she was thought all her life. I
I agree, Su-Jin was an interesting character because like any nation's trained soldier or governmental asset, she was simply following orders, even when those orders included sunbathing poolside.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 03:40 The author wrote an interesting plot that incorporated a unique antagonist who usedfear and intimidation to further their aims. For me, this was an interesting contrast to the protagonists and their group who used friendship, logic, and positive influence to further their actions.
Great perspective on the juxtaposition of the two groups: friends/foes, pals/enemies, foreigns/domestics... Seems that some nations and leaders rule with an iron fist, while others take a more democratic approach. Teamwork usually accomplishes the same end goal, but some decisions are forcibly made under more duress. We got to see that in this story for sure!
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I really disliked the way America was portrayed as always loyal, easy-going, and friendly while the Koreans were all portrayed as cruel dictators or timid runaways. Did anyone else feel like that seemed casually racist?
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I always enjoy books that give background stories to antagonists, as it did with Rhee. I don't find antagonists who are just 'evil' to be realistic.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Honestly, I didn't like how Rhee Su-jin was portrayed. She is a highly trained terrorist but then also doesn't know enough about her cover story to throw off Steve. And Dear Leader doesn't know what coast NYC and Washington D. C. are on? I think they would have been great antagonists if they didn't make such unrealistic mistakes.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Helene_2008 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 18:42 Honestly, I didn't like how Rhee Su-jin was portrayed. She is a highly trained terrorist but then also doesn't know enough about her cover story to throw off Steve. And Dear Leader doesn't know what coast NYC and Washington D. C. are on? I think they would have been great antagonists if they didn't make such unrealistic mistakes.
I mostly agree. I found Dear Leader's poor geography skills preposterously funny. I didn't feel like that would be very realistic either, but I liked the entertainment value. In general, the antagonists we're okay.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I found the antics of the antagonists funny because they sabotaged themselves with their incompetency. The way they were written played well with how easily things went for Team USA as they tried to stop the missile from being launched. For example: Su-Jin couldn’t remember her cover-story after three months of training for the mission (which included how to be an American tourist) this made it easier for me to believe she would leave a cell phone that the Americans could use to hack into the computer for information much easier to believe. And (spoilers) Dear Leader calling the president to brag about his plan was also comical because his own lead scientist had already sabotaged the weapon. Still, I think Mercer does a great job bringing awareness to potentially serious threats with a light-hearted narrative with a happy ending...sometimes it’s nice to read a book that doesn’t leave you sick to your stomach with doomsday what if’s.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:15 I really disliked the way America was portrayed as always loyal, easy-going, and friendly while the Koreans were all portrayed as cruel dictators or timid runaways. Did anyone else feel like that seemed casually racist?
I didn't at the time of reading but now that I've been discussing the book and dissecting it, there does seem to be an undercurrent of disdain towards South Korea. I'm not sure where the line between racism and "patriotism" is but this book toes it.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tomah wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:47 I'll be honest: the antagonists were my least favorite part of the novel. The portrayal of North Korea as a nation lead by a dumb and crazy man with plans of world domination shows a very simplistic understanding of global geopolitics. I also felt Rhee Su-jin was rather incompetent, leaving a phone lying around that can give anyone access to the computers and failing to blend in or memorize her background story properly, for example.
I agree on all accounts. I was not impressed with Su Jin as an antagonist. I also found her rather incompetent! :lire4:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I liked the portrayal of the DL the best. The author has the characteristics of a tyrant down to tee whichever nation the tryant may belong to.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:15 I really disliked the way America was portrayed as always loyal, easy-going, and friendly while the Koreans were all portrayed as cruel dictators or timid runaways. Did anyone else feel like that seemed casually racist?
I don't know. One could argue the fact that narrative is one sided. I don't feel like the USA team is such a bright group of people either. I didn't connected with then despite them being protagonists and portrayed positive by the author. I would say overall everything was very right ot wrong, good or bad and that of course is not realistic at all.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I think Rhee su jin is the most fleshed out antagonist. I like her initial reaction to tourist and her dedication. I wonder what happened to her finally
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Antagonist do whatever good or bad, and most notably use intimidation and fear as a tool to direct the other people to get what they want. The portrayal of antagonist was interesting.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

The activities of antagonist in every story is short lived.Darkness is always overshadowed by light. The use of fear and intimidation is short lived.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 03:40 The author wrote an interesting plot that incorporated a unique antagonist who usedfear and intimidation to further their aims. For me, this was an interesting contrast to the protagonists and their group who used friendship, logic, and positive influence to further their actions. I found that I loved how the antagonists were potrayed in this story, especially Rhee Su-Jin.
What did you think about the antagonists in this story?
To me, the antagonists and protagonists were well balanced. A strong protagonist and a strong antagonist makes sense.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”