Antagonists in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Antagonists in the story?

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

Here is what confused me about the antagonist--Dear Leader was clearly a satire of Kim Jong Un but the hero of the book was Kim Jung Lo. It was strange that the names were so close. Otherwise, I thought he was a great antagonist. I wonder if the real Kim Jong Un is as extreme as he is portrayed in both the book and the media but I think his character was done well.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 18:58
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:23 I think the author did an incredible job with the antagonists of this story, especially Su Jin. I really liked her. I understood her motivation and reasons for doing what she did. Sure we can call her "bad" but she did what she knew and what she was thought all her life. I
I agree; Su Jin was a cleverly crafted antagonist. I quickly became immersed in her character and her reasoning behind her plans.
I agree that Su Jin was in a major part of the story and a well-portraied antagonist. I think her exit from the story was pre-mature and a bit lacking.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I thought Sue jin's character was very good. I like how they show why she is doing this, more because of duty than anything else. I like antagonists who are forced to become that way due to circumstances.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

Rhee was my favorite antagonist in the beginning. She had a position of power, knew what she was doing, and was quite clever. As the story went on though most of the antagonists sort of became a little unrealistic, with basically very little idea of how to do what they were doing and making questionable decisions.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

I would have liked the story to go into more detail about Su jin. I think that a stand alone about her would be great. She was such an interesting character. I also liked the rogue scientist. I would like to see what became of him.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:23 I think the author did an incredible job with the antagonists of this story, especially Su Jin. I really liked her. I understood her motivation and reasons for doing what she did. Sure we can call her "bad" but she did what she knew and what she was thought all her life. I
Totally agree! She was well portrayed in this aspect and it made sense that she did what she was made to do.
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

The antagonists weren't very memorable. I guess Rhee Su-jin was the only one that really made a lasting impression. I know we aren't supposed to like the antagonist but real people have characteristics that are likable as well as dislikable. Rhee Su-Jin was just annoying.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

Infinite I wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:36 I really liked Su-Jin as an antagonist. Such a wonderfully written character. There was a meaning to everything she did.
I agree with majority and only want to add that it becomes rarity to have motivation behind actions of characters been written this good. It doesn't left anything to speculation and I applaud author for it.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

A good antagonist is relatable, thinks they have good reasons for their actions. This was well done. And having the protagonists use the opposite to do what they need is always an interesting contrast.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I think that Colonel Rhee-Suyin (Sue Lynn) knew she was doing something that was wrong .And because she was an antagonist she went to work for Mr.leader.I don't think she cared about her work or who she worked for as long as she got paid. I think she thought she could get away without being questioned about her actions. She did not question anyone about the job she was being asked to do. I think as an antagonist she would have wanted to ask questions or looked into Mr. Leaders and Mr. lee background to see what they truly cared about or what they doing. By doing this she might have found out that the people that work for them died without being paid.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I thought Dear Leader’s character was pretty terrible. If you go to that much effort to research the real life implications of emps, why not make the dictatorial leaders of other countries realistic? I imagine the author was going for comedy. I just didn’t find it funny.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I liked Su-jin, but she suddenly became very incompetent out of nowhere, then we stopped receiving her perspective for the entire second half of the novel so her story just fizzled out. Dear Leader was definitely very stereotypical and based in racism, I would say. If he was intended to be comedic satire, the tone of the rest of the novel should probably have been made less serious to match with that
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I thought the antagonists were not competent enough. DL didn't even have his geography right and he was planning an attack. He came across as intimidating in the beginning and ended up looking like a coward. Lee also started well and towards the end I couldn't understand what was up with him. The terrorist group also started well and then were caught easily. I would have thought people with such a huge responsibility would have done their homework well about the country they were pretending to be residents of.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

The author did an amazing job with the antagonist. Su Jin was a well written character with a clear motivation.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I liked the agonist role. The fear they used to control their people and fulfill their aims seems genuine and authentic. I loved how the commander was able to create a huge amount of fear inside the heart of his people. Also, the level of intelligence used by agonists to carry out their plan was remarkable. The way commander has separated each section of the facility to conceal the true plan was very stunning.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”