Romance & Relationship in this book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Romance & Relationship in this book

Post by AntonelaMaria »

How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I agree, Tom and Kelly's relationship seemed a bit flat. I think there is just too much going on with the rest of the story so their relationship isn't well developed.

I liked Sharon and Steve's relationship, there wasn't much to it but that makes more sense because it was a new relationship. I love their banter and wit, though.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree that Tom and Kelly didn't seem to have a connection. They didn't seem to be focused on each other at all. I liked the budding relationship between Sharon and Steve better!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It seems that we are all on the same wavelength concerning Kelly and Tom's romance--or lack of.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

My assessment is the book tackles more on the relationship towards their team than with a romance. I like the way the author presented the bond between the newlyweds in the book. It is up to the reader to think that the couples romantic life is already sugarcoated with the word 'honeymoon.'
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I will agree with all previous impressions stated above. While marital connections and sibling loyalty were certainly mentioned and developed throughout, I would categorize these characters connections as the typical bonds of everyday reality moreso than I would say they were literary "romance" of any sort. Great character bonds nonetheless!
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
I agree that the marriage wasn't quite believable, it was like they had just started being roommates and hardly knew each other. I did enjoy the relationship between Kelly and Mike, but it felt a little too coincidental and easy...

I would not classify this as a romance either. I would consider it action with a little romance to color the characters, but not an action romance (if that is a category).
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 19:00 It seems that we are all on the same wavelength concerning Kelly and Tom's romance--or lack of.
Yeah, it seems that we are told and not shown as in many books. But to be honest I was soon over it and not expected change towards the end.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 14:50 I agree, Tom and Kelly's relationship seemed a bit flat. I think there is just too much going on with the rest of the story so their relationship isn't well developed.

I liked Sharon and Steve's relationship, there wasn't much to it but that makes more sense because it was a new relationship. I love their banter and wit, though.
I think that Steve overall has an appealing and charming personality. I liked him as a character. Glad that the author gave him somewhat of a "happy end" even if I wish it was more revealing.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I love romance genres and for this book,am not sudden if it should be classified as such because the romance part is too mild.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

This is definitely not a true romance book. The relationship was downplayed and it was more about the action and other relationships in the story than the love between Tom and Kelly.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I agree that this book belongs in the suspense/action genre. Sure, it does have romantic parts to it, but I found the action to be present more than the romance.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I love romance genres but this book really isn't it for me. I loved the relationship between Sharon and steve though it was somewhat new, tom and kelly being married didn't seem to make much sense to me because there was really not much connection between them.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Bukola02 wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 02:06 I love romance genres but this book really isn't it for me. I loved the relationship between Sharon and steve though it was somewhat new, tom and kelly being married didn't seem to make much sense to me because there was really not much connection between them.
I don't know why but I was really annoyed how Kelly and Tom's relationship was portrayed. It seems she is this "perfect little wife" meant to serve her husband. He commenting after she brings him coffee to bed and after a night of whatever, what took him so long to get married. I mean come on...That just rubbed me the wrong way...
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

I wouldn't classify this book as a romance. I felt like it was more action and suspense. There was very little romance in it. I agree that Tom and Kelly didn't have a strong connection. However, this book is great for readers that enjoy a lot of action.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”