Romance & Relationship in this book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Romance & Relationship in this book

Post by tsh1001 »

The problem with this book, was that the characters were not well developed. You could say that the relationship was "cold & flat" and that is reasonable, because the author did not develop a love story for them. She did not create relatable characters and relationships simply because she did not take the time to develop any of them. I think this book could have been much better with more focus on the main characters and less introducing pointless-to-the-plot characters.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Perhaps the chatacters were presented as part of a conservative relationship, so as not to distract from the plot and because it is not a romance novel. Perhaps the writer was considering the fact that some readers may not be comfortable with explicit details of their love lives...But who knows

But it seems clear that it was not the main aim of the story
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

I dont put it in romantic novel.it is rather an action novel.
James Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-edwards.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by James Edwards »

This book was definitely not a romance. Tom and Kelly were supposed to be honeymooners and were not even together when she went shopping. Certainly not the typical behavior of someone just married.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I think this is better categorized as action/suspense. For romance, not so much. There were minor parts of relationships, but the majority of the story focused on the espionage.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

New relationships are usually more interesting, but, no matter the strength of the action and drama, all relationships should be highlighted well. If it doesn't seem realistic or the relationship feels flat, it's much harder to get pulled into the story. Just because a married couple is part of the focal point, doesn't automatically make the book Romance.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

Tom and Kelly did seem to lack a connection as a couple. They didn't seem to notice each other at all.

I really liked the fresh and witty relationship between Sharon and Steve better!
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I did not see this as a romance novel. Even if Kelly and Tom were on their honeymoon. The story of their honeymoon stared with Tom on a fishing boat and Kelley getting off a bus to go shopping. The only thing they did that was romantic was when they went walking on the beach.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This novel doesn't fit in the romance genre. The action is outstanding and it carries the day. Romantic scenes present are just a by the way.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I don't see how this is a romance book. There is very little romance to make it go under the category, and the ones we read of were rather flat.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I definitely would not categorise it as a romance book, those moments were very brief, and few and far between. The concept of the book didn't really lend itself well at all to romance in my opinion, since they are in such a serious unstable situation, and most of the characters are supposedly highly trained professionals, it comes off as hard to believe that they'd be making goo-goo eyes at each other instead of focusing on the task at hand
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I found the relationships superficial in the book. There was not enough development. This book is definitely not romance, maybe action/thriller. The emotions seemed a bit forced to me.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Too bad I cannot participate in the discussion as I have been banned from the reviewers' team. Good luck to all!
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 08:13
Bukola02 wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 02:06 I love romance genres but this book really isn't it for me. I loved the relationship between Sharon and steve though it was somewhat new, tom and kelly being married didn't seem to make much sense to me because there was really not much connection between them.
I don't know why but I was really annoyed how Kelly and Tom's relationship was portrayed. It seems she is this "perfect little wife" meant to serve her husband. He commenting after she brings him coffee to bed and after a night of whatever, what took him so long to get married. I mean come on...That just rubbed me the wrong way...
I had the exact same feeling. Kelly is just serving Tom all the time, whether it's packing bags when they were going to rescue Steve, or getting Tom breakfast in bed, and Tom is never even once shown asking her about how she's doing amongst this whole terrorist situation.

And their complete lack of communication really annoyed me. They never once talk about what they feel about their honeymoon turning into a mission to stop terrorists. We don't even know how Tom reacted when Kelly told him about the terrorists because that scene/conversation was omitted. And she called her brother first when she was in danger instead of her husband? And these people are supposed to be a newly-wed couple on their honeymoon? It was sad and annoying.
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

I liked the exchanges between Steve and Sharon most of all in this book and the way in which Kelly and Tom worked together.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”