Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Re: Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Post by Reynaa »

Tomah wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:53 I would've loved to read a story more closely related to this specific section since the idea is quite interesting. Also, Dr. Kinney could be an interesting character since I enjoyed his charisma and intelligence. It does feel kind of a random addition to the novel though.
I agree! I loved all the "what-ifs" in this section and would really enjoy a story with the Dr. Character and one of those situations happening!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

cpru68 wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 15:00 I thought it was interesting to take an up close look at the subject. We rely so much on power for everything that an outage would be awful! I thought the author could have put the picture and link in the back of the book. I find with this book and one of hers that I read prior that she interrupts her stories. The subheadings bothered me along the way as well. I just felt like the picture and link took away from the good flow of writing she had going in that section.
I can see that, it was random to include the link and picture. I liked it because it was new but definitely see how it can be distracting, especially since that whole section was different from the rest of the book.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

Actually the section kind of literally fits well in the book. It gave little insight as to where the defence line is most strong and most vulnerable. Though other discussions in that aspect was quite irrelevant.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am glad this section was included as it offers us a different perspective than otherwise possible. However, does it flow well with the rest of the story? I would say – not much!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

This section was really weird to me. A Ph.D., Harvard-trained, Nobel-winning scientist goes on air to complain about how technology is ruining America and how kids "can't even make change anymore"? That doesn't seem like something a real-life, progressive scientist would actually say. This section felt incredibly dated to me.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:13 This section was really weird to me. A Ph.D., Harvard-trained, Nobel-winning scientist goes on air to complain about how technology is ruining America and how kids "can't even make change anymore"? That doesn't seem like something a real-life, progressive scientist would actually say. This section felt incredibly dated to me.
That's an interesting take on the section, I hadn't thought about that before. I can see that, though.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

cpru68 wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 15:00 I thought it was interesting to take an up close look at the subject. We rely so much on power for everything that an outage would be awful! I thought the author could have put the picture and link in the back of the book. I find with this book and one of hers that I read prior that she interrupts her stories. The subheadings bothered me along the way as well. I just felt like the picture and link took away from the good flow of writing she had going in that section.
I listen to this book as audio so I missed out on the link. But after I finsished listening to it, I research on my own about the subjects. It is scary.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I agree with you that Dr. Kinney seemed like he was going to have more of a role and then didn't. I liked this section a lot. I think it helped explain what EMP is to the reader. I also found the part about solar flares really interesting.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

The interview was one of my favorite scenes, but you're right - it went nowhere. Perhaps, it was meant only to give us a glimpse about the gravity of the attack, or what it can happen, more like a light background of the scientific process? Anyway, it did send me to a thorough research which I deeply enjoyed.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This part took me out of the story momentarily. I was trying to puzzle out the relevance of this scene, and at the moment, there didn't seem to be one. It became clear later.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

InStoree wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 02:29 The interview was one of my favorite scenes, but you're right - it went nowhere. Perhaps, it was meant only to give us a glimpse about the gravity of the attack, or what it can happen, more like a light background of the scientific process? Anyway, it did send me to a thorough research which I deeply enjoyed.
I think this is one of my favorite scenes, also, apart from it not fitting in with the book. I can picture the scene vividly and really enjoyed the characters and conversation. I did more research too!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 18:34 This part took me out of the story momentarily. I was trying to puzzle out the relevance of this scene, and at the moment, there didn't seem to be one. It became clear later.
That's a shame but definitely understandable, seeing as it could probably be a stand-alone section. I think it could have been woven into the story more.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This section included a lot of important information but did feel a bit disjointed from the rest of the book. It might have been nice to see Dr. Kinney play a bigger role, especially when it came down to figuring out what the missile and its payload where later in the book.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 11:00 This section included a lot of important information but did feel a bit disjointed from the rest of the book. It might have been nice to see Dr. Kinney play a bigger role, especially when it came down to figuring out what the missile and its payload where later in the book.
My thoughts, exactly! I kept expecting his character to show up or be brought in as an expert later on in the story. I wish he had!
Neha++
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Neha++ »

I liked this section alot. Interview part gave alot of interesting information. I was longing for Dr. Kinney's character in book but it never showed up. This section felt aside of the book.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”