Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Letora wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 10:17 It just felt like filler to me. Fiction books don't need links to prove their point. That's what the writing is for. I had a hard time digesting all the information that was being given and wished it had been fit into the storyline instead.
I do believe that authors often tell us without showing us. I missed the links as I did the audio version of this book. But I agree with you. It can be viewed as a filler. I usually research on my own if there was intriguing subject mentioned in the book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

vermontelf wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:20 I think this section gave some needed background, but it could have been used more or given another way. I enjoyed this section, but the book would have been sufficient without it too.
I think I agree with you. Although it had some needed background, the book could still be complete without it.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Although it did seem random, I think it was necessary to include this portion of the book. It gave the reader insight into how serious the terrorist attack could be. I thought it was a unique way to get the information across.

To make it seem less random, the author probably could have included more from those characters scattered throughout the book.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I thought it did seem a little random. I understand why it was in the book, but there may have been a more fitting way to incorporate it. I think it's interesting that that was her old professor, though.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:02 I did like this section and thought it was pretty enlightening, though the whole segment doesn't seem to go with the rest of the book. I thought the character of Dr. Kinney was built up but then didn't really go anywhere afterwards.

I enjoyed the link for readers to find out more about CME and the NASA photo. That was unique.

Did you enjoy this section? Does it feel like it belongs in the book? Do you think it seems random?
I think everybody is missing the real purpose of this section, which was to basically try to sneak in some background information so that we wouldn't be confused while reading about some of the stuff in the book
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

Kaylee123 wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 13:18 Although it did seem random, I think it was necessary to include this portion of the book. It gave the reader insight into how serious the terrorist attack could be. I thought it was a unique way to get the information across.

To make it seem less random, the author probably could have included more from those characters scattered throughout the book.
Yes, I think the author could have included this information better but it was very useful to me at least.
arielkiaira_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira.html

Post by arielkiaira_ »

ArielKiaira wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 00:25
Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:02 I did like this section and thought it was pretty enlightening, though the whole segment doesn't seem to go with the rest of the book. I thought the character of Dr. Kinney was built up but then didn't really go anywhere afterwards.

I enjoyed the link for readers to find out more about CME and the NASA photo. That was unique.

Did you enjoy this section? Does it feel like it belongs in the book? Do you think it seems random?
I think everybody is missing the real purpose of this section, which was to basically try to sneak in some background information so that we wouldn't be confused while reading about some of the stuff in the book
I agree that section provided me a lot of information about the topics of the book
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I liked the section. I think it provided us with the information we needed to understand the terrorists' threat, explained it in an easy-to-understand way, and also gave us some food for thought. I just wished that the character of Dr. Kinney appeared again in the book. The author built up some characters in a way that makes you look forward to see them later and then never returned to them again, which was disappointing.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I haven't read the whole book yet but I did get to part of the interview. So far I think this was the best part of the book. Also, when it began, I thought it came pretty out of the blue. But the author later weaved it into the story. So far, I have no complaints.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Its just goes to show that the author still has a lot of more writing to do, the Haven-Harbringer TV shows that Kelly and Tom's routines are similar to ours, some happenings are always beyond our control and that danger is always near.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I enjoyed seeing this topic written about in an easily accessible manner but I was disappointed that he wasn’t used later.

Chekhov’s gun scenario failed.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I actually really liked that she introduced this interview. This was the one part of the book that was well-developed. Through the interview, she portrayed the importance of power and the devastation a lack of power would cause. She also introduced the idea that the US was not protected from certain angles from missile attacks, which was where Honduras came into play.

I wish she had developed the rest of the story as well, maybe background on characters and relationships. More detail toward the middle and end of the book.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Is there a written version of the book, or is it only available in audio?
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

Getting background information into a story isn't easy. Given all at once, it can feel like too much. And then when it's over and not followed up later, the point of it gets a little lost. Maybe it should've been condensed and pieces put here or there at opportune moments.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I thought that it should have been written in a different place in the book. Maybe when Kelly and Tom were watching the show or when Mr. Lee or Mr.leader was in their office maybe. It might have revealed more importance in the book or better connections to the story. Maybe a student or someone that knew what the show was going to be on or about went to work for Mr. leader and gave him the Ideal. And Kelly and Tom did not say anything to others about the show.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”